Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to DrFfybes,smokey01,bungeejumper,stockton,Anonymous, for Donating to support the site

Who does Michael Kiwanuka sound like?

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
Julian
Lemon Quarter

Who does Michael Kiwanuka sound like?

Postby Julian » July 1st, 2024, 11:36 pm

Maybe marginal for DAK but hopefully this might make the cut…

I was out with friends tonight who don’t really follow popular music but they know that I do and that I’m glued to the TV coverage every Glastonbury weekend. They asked me for my highlights (kind of them but pointless since they will never have heard of anyone I mention) and Michael Kiwanuka was one I mentioned (pole position in my opinion). They asked me who he sounded like - from their frame of reference relative to only famous people from the 1970s or earlier - and I really couldn’t come up with anyone. That might be down to my teenager-in-the-1970s restricted knowledge so I’d be interested to hear if anyone can suggest a credible answer.

servodude
Lemon Half

Re: Who does Michael Kiwanuka sound like?

Postby servodude » July 2nd, 2024, 12:07 am

Julian wrote:Maybe marginal for DAK but hopefully this might make the cut…

I was out with friends tonight who don’t really follow popular music but they know that I do and that I’m glued to the TV coverage every Glastonbury weekend. They asked me for my highlights (kind of them but pointless since they will never have heard of anyone I mention) and Michael Kiwanuka was one I mentioned (pole position in my opinion). They asked me who he sounded like - from their frame of reference relative to only famous people from the 1970s or earlier - and I really couldn’t come up with anyone. That might be down to my teenager-in-the-1970s restricted knowledge so I’d be interested to hear if anyone can suggest a credible answer.

I haven't seen his Glastonbury set (I'll see what I can dig up following the review you've given it).
but on what I've heard previously he sounds a bit as though someone had got Otis Redding to sing with the Bad Seeds (OK they formed in '83 but I can't think of any group directly comparable from earlier times ) when they are were in one of their gospel moods (harmonically quite traditional but with an interesting take on the production)
...or Terry Callier in his more progressive days ?

but I'd file it under folk/soul with a gospel edge

EDIT: I think i mispelt every second word above!

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » July 2nd, 2024, 9:50 am

I'd never heard of him, but he's pretty good. :) He uses the high registers a lot, which I don't remember Otis Redding doing unless he was really wailing. ;) Very fine voice control and intonation at all pitches, as far as I can see. Definitely a bit bluesy.

Okay, go on and laugh at me. Bill Withers, circa 1971?

BJ

GoSeigen
Lemon Quarter

Postby GoSeigen » July 2nd, 2024, 11:03 am

servodude wrote:
but I'd file it under folk/soul with a gospel edge

The vocals certainly, but to me the music itself sounds very much in the White/Western/British four-on-the floor rock/pop/ballad tradition. If you're hoping for blues, soul or motown or any significant African influence it'll be disappointing.

EDIT: I think i mispelt every second word above!

The VB must be flowing!

GS

Return to “Does anyone know?”