Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to bungeejumper,stockton,Anonymous,bruncher,niord, for Donating to support the site

Legacy Family Tree now free

Genealogy, Local, General
staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Legacy Family Tree now free

Postby staffordian » June 7th, 2024, 12:36 pm

Anyone who has an interest in genealogy might know of Legacy Family Tree software. For years they have offered a good free version and a paid for deluxe version with more bells and whistles.

This week they released V10, and for the first time it is entirely free. All features included.

https://legacyfamilytree.com/

It's a bit of a steep learning curve getting into it but I've used it for the best part of two decades and think it is pretty good.

No affiliation, just think it's worth a mention.

NomoneyNohoney
Lemon Slice

Re: Legacy Family Tree now free

Postby NomoneyNohoney » June 7th, 2024, 1:41 pm

There's always one person who says, "don't use that, use this."
I'm not quite that person but I would like to explain why I use the online Family Echo software, to build a family tree.

Other programs I looked at seem to integrate with the Mormons' genealogical sites, and I wanted to keep my tree just for invited members of my family.
This is how I ended up using Family Echo: I can't see that they've shared my data with anyone, and the family tree I have downloaded as a GED file, so I can keep it backed up on my computer, and that backup can be loaded - it seems - into most other programs, should I want to.

The program suits me just fine, so if you fancy seeing how it works, save a .ged file from your current software, load it to Family Echo and see what you think. (Sits back and waits to be told it shares your data with HappyFamilies.Ru or whatever!)

*Btw Staffordian, you have mail*

GrahamPlatt
Lemon Quarter

Postby GrahamPlatt » June 7th, 2024, 3:19 pm

Have to say I view that it’s “free” with extreme prejudice.
What’s the business model there?
Suspect that your info is their product.

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Postby staffordian » June 7th, 2024, 3:31 pm

NomoneyNohoney wrote:Other programs I looked at seem to integrate with the Mormons' genealogical sites, and I wanted to keep my tree just for invited members of my family.

Yes, this can be an issue, especially if others can randomly edit them .

Legacy has a module which allows the user to exchange data with Family Search, but Legacy itself resides only on the users computer so any exchange is entirely under the control of the user.

I'll have a look at Family Echo. Always like trying new stuff :D

BTW, Thanks for the mail :)

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » June 7th, 2024, 4:11 pm

GrahamPlatt wrote:Have to say I view that it’s “free” with extreme prejudice.

The problem with this is when someone steals your data and then decides to do an interesting looking presentation about it a year later. Especially if in the intervening time you've been back through the 1570s Parish Register and realised your error, but not updated the uploaded info.

The result is you get rather cross you wasted half a day driving up for the presentation, and the presenter gets very embarassed by your detailed questions before finally admitting they hadn't done their own research.

Just ask MrsF :)

Paul

NomoneyNohoney
Lemon Slice

Postby NomoneyNohoney » June 7th, 2024, 5:50 pm

If anyone is interested, "Find My Past" UK and Ireland, is free until 10th June.

Other sites may also be offering free access: I've not checked elsewhere yet.

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Postby staffordian » June 7th, 2024, 7:23 pm

GrahamPlatt wrote:Have to say I view that it’s “free” with extreme prejudice.

No. They have nothing except my email address, which they already had.

It's not an online program, it resides locally on my hard drive. As far as I can tell, it's a loss leader as the company which now owns it, My Heritage, seems to be trying to compete with the likes of Ancestry et al.

I assume they feel that by getting a larger user base they have more chance of users subscribing to or purchasing their 'premium' products.

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » June 12th, 2024, 6:13 pm

I had no idea there were so many programs around. I've had a subscription to Ancestry online for years and it doesn't allow anyone to change my data, but it does show when someone else seems to be researching or already possess the same/similar person as me. The problem is that it soon snowballs and I haven't had time to do anything for years. When I leave paid work next spring, top of my list is to sit down and start sorting it all out.

That is going to take years!!

Steve

Return to “History”