Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to smokey01,bungeejumper,stockton,Anonymous,bruncher, for Donating to support the site

A new record

Grumpy Old Lemons Like You
DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Re: A new record

Postby DrFfybes » June 13th, 2024, 8:31 pm

Urbandreamer wrote:On the subject of choice of units, I use whatever is appropriate either to the job or the audience. I use Celsius, Fahrenheit or Gas mark. Grams, ounces or cups. My point was that mixing units really DOES NOT WORK.

Can I have an 8 x 4 sheet of plasterboard please?
How thick?
9.5 mill.

:)

Paul

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Postby Urbandreamer » June 13th, 2024, 9:37 pm

DrFfybes wrote:
Urbandreamer wrote:On the subject of choice of units, I use whatever is appropriate either to the job or the audience. I use Celsius, Fahrenheit or Gas mark. Grams, ounces or cups. My point was that mixing units really DOES NOT WORK.

How thick?
9.5 mill.

Paul

To be fair, is your 8 X 4 what you claim?
If we take 2 x 4 timber, it isn't! It's actually now 50 x 100 approximately. It's even sold as such!
Your 8 x 4 plasterboard is NOT!
https://insulationwholesale.co.uk/12-5m ... 0mm-8-x-4/

Nor is it usually 9.5mm 1/3" (23/64th of an inch) thick (a somewhat odd either metric or imperial size).
It's more normally 12.5mm, which would make your point as that is 1/2".
It really is approximately 8' x 4'. x 1/2". Though I would point out that 2400mm is some 3mm short of 8'.
Want to bet it's 2403mm? I'd take your bet as I DO think that it's 2400mm.

If you ever find yourself short, ask yourself if 10 x 8' is the same as 10 x 2400mm. Possibly you can calk 33mm (over an inch), as long as you don't butt your plaster board together but space them 3mm apart.

Yes these things should be considered. IF your plasterboard is sold in metric MEASURE in metric!
Can I repeat that if what you are using is specified in XYZ then MEASURE in XYZ!

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » June 14th, 2024, 8:34 am

Urbandreamer wrote:
DrFfybes wrote:
How thick?
9.5 mill.

Paul

To be fair, is your 8 X 4 what you claim?
If we take 2 x 4 timber, it isn't! It's actually now 50 x 100 approximately. It's even sold as such!
Your 8 x 4 plasterboard is NOT!

Yeah - you missed the smiley, didn't you?

But just to put you straight... 8x4 is 1220 x 2440.

https://www.wickes.co.uk/Non-Structural ... m/p/110116

although you are correct that plasterboard seems to mainly have gone metric - mainly.

https://www.vickerstimber.co.uk/product ... 40-12-5mm/ although I'd check it in the flesh first.

Paul

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » June 14th, 2024, 10:27 am

DrFfybes wrote:
Urbandreamer wrote:To be fair, is your 8 X 4 what you claim?

...you are correct that plasterboard seems to mainly have gone metric - mainly.

Metric... Napoleon. Our predecessors fought bitter wars to keep Napoleon and his foreign measurements out of our country and I'm not going to act as a fifth column.
I buy my petrol in gallons, my timber in (debased) inches, and gauge my temperatures in the superior fahrenheit.

It doesn't always work out... buying cheese from the market wagon " a quarter of stilton please", and while the girl is cutting and wrapping, I wander off to inspect their duck eggs. She looked so pleased when I went to pay, I didn't have the heart to correct her, and anyway, I like a mature stilton...

V8

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » June 14th, 2024, 10:32 am

88V8 wrote:I buy my petrol in gallons, my timber in (debased) inches, and gauge my temperatures in the superior fahrenheit.

It doesn't always work out... buying cheese from the market wagon " a quarter of stilton please", and while the girl is cutting and wrapping, I wander off to inspect their duck eggs. She looked so pleased when I went to pay, I didn't have the heart to correct her, and anyway, I like a mature stilton...

I still order cheese by the quarter or half pound. I get quizzical looks from some of the teenage girls at my deli, but not from others who presumably have decided to humour the old codger.

Oh and my weight is in stones. And I buy fluids in pints not litres. None of that French nonsense in my house.

But back to your OP, yes, I have been freezing for the last week, but refuse to put the heating on. This is June?

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » June 14th, 2024, 10:36 am

Lootman wrote:
88V8 wrote:I buy my petrol in gallons, my timber in (debased) inches, and gauge my temperatures in the superior fahrenheit.

I still order cheese by the quarter or half pound. I get quizzical looks from some of the teenage girls at my deli, but not from others who presumably have decided to humour the old codger.

Oh and my weight is in stones. And I buy fluids in pints not litres. None of that French nonsense in my house.

But back to your OP, yes, I have been freezing for the last week, but refuse to put the heating on. This is June?

Didn't ounce come from the French (unce) around the same time they named all the cuts of meat (except for the chicken) for their English servants?

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » June 14th, 2024, 10:50 am

Lootman wrote:

I've never understood this. If the weather is cold, has a heating system and the money to run it, why not use it? The wrong date does not seem to be a good a reason to me.

Do you insist on having the heating ON during those warm spells we tend to get in autumn, simply because the date says it should be cold?

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » June 14th, 2024, 11:15 am

Mike4 wrote:I've never understood this. If the weather is cold, has a heating system and the money to run it, why not use it? The wrong date does not seem to be a good a reason to me.

Do you insist on having the heating ON during those warm spells we tend to get in autumn, simply because the date says it should be cold?

As a kid my parents used to talk about when it got cold enough to turn the heating on. My heating is always on. I have a thermostat and when the temperature at any given time window falls below a set level the boiler activates, radiators get warm. I never turn this off.

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Postby Urbandreamer » June 14th, 2024, 11:16 am

servodude wrote:Didn't ounce come from the French (unce) around the same time they named all the cuts of meat (except for the chicken) for their English servants?

I thought that it was older. Possibly not quite as old as Troy, but certainly Roman (uncia). I think that we get inch from the same source. As in 1/12th.
Yes I know that ounce is not 1/12 today, but it was.

Ah, this link might help.
https://www.britannica.com/science/ounce

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » June 14th, 2024, 12:48 pm

servodude wrote:Didn't ounce come from the French (unce) around the same time they named all the cuts of meat (except for the chicken) for their English servants?

Any good vegetarian will tell you that the French still regard a chicken as a vegetable. Ask for the veggie options at a Gallic restaurant or bar, and it's odds-on that you'll find it on the list. Alongside the fish, of course, which qualify according to different scales. :D

BJ

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » June 14th, 2024, 12:56 pm

bungeejumper wrote:Any good vegetarian will tell you that the French still regard a chicken as a vegetable. Ask for the veggie options at a Gallic restaurant or bar, and it's odds-on that you'll find it on the list. Alongside the fish, of course, which qualify according to different scales. :D

BJ

Aren't you a generation or so out of date there (speaking as someone who hasn't eaten meat for about a generation or so - since 1993)?

Never realised the French would serve you the scales of a fish, either!

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » June 14th, 2024, 2:27 pm

kempiejon wrote:
Mike4 wrote:I've never understood this. If the weather is cold, has a heating system and the money to run it, why not use it? The wrong date does not seem to be a good a reason to me.

... My heating is always on. I have a thermostat and when the temperature at any given time window falls below a set level ...

You should put curtains up at that window. It does help.

V8

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » June 14th, 2024, 2:59 pm

kempiejon wrote:As a kid my parents used to talk about when it got cold enough to turn the heating on. My heating is always on. I have a thermostat and when the temperature at any given time window falls below a set level the boiler activates, radiators get warm. I never turn this off.

I quite agree. Why have a control system and override it? In China they turn heating off on 15th March, regardless. I had a 23 hour train ride which passed through snowy mountains, on the way from Beijing to Xian. You kept your coat on.

TJH

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Postby staffordian » June 14th, 2024, 9:45 pm

Urbandreamer wrote:
DrFfybes wrote:Routinely 16C in the morning hee, not too bad as we're moving.

In the evenings it is about 62-3 so supplemental heat required.

The joys of old houses with thick walls - they don't really warm up until August.

Paul

How do you not die of heat stroke if it gets up to 62C in the evening?
:D
Seriously, if you are going to mix units, it might be an idea to identify the units that you are using.

Unless you are buying tyres, of course...

Width: measured in mm
Height: expressed as a ratio
Diameter: measured in inches

I'd love to know how that became 'standard' :D

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » June 14th, 2024, 10:26 pm

staffordian wrote:Unless you are buying tyres, of course...

OK, I'll bite.

Explain the difference between 27 x 1 1/4 and 700C.

GoSeigen
Lemon Quarter

Postby GoSeigen » June 15th, 2024, 7:50 am

Urbandreamer wrote:

What the fox is 62C? Is that 62ºC by any chance? Why is it that no-one uses degrees any more -- have I missed some sort of revision of units or something?

These days even the Guardian seems to routinely use C and F as if they are a thing.

GS

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Postby Urbandreamer » June 15th, 2024, 8:10 am

GoSeigen wrote:
Urbandreamer wrote:

What the fox is 62C? Is that 62ºC by any chance? Why is it that no-one uses degrees any more -- have I missed some sort of revision of units or something?

These days even the Guardian seems to routinely use C and F as if they are a thing.

GS

It's a keyboard thing. I was too lazy to find a symbol that is not on my keyboard. You may find that I often do this with BTC (₿) and EUR (€). Though using symbols can also lead to confusion. After all the £ devalued four times in the last three years. WHAT? Oh sorry not GBT, but EGP.

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Postby staffordian » June 15th, 2024, 8:49 am

UncleEbenezer wrote:
staffordian wrote:Unless you are buying tyres, of course...

OK, I'll bite.

Explain the difference between 27 x 1 1/4 and 700C.

Ahh, bike tyres. When I was a lad it was twenty six by one and three eighths or by one and a quarter. Or 27" if you had a fancy racer.

The new sizes are double Dutch to me :D

MuddyBoots
Lemon Slice

Postby MuddyBoots » June 15th, 2024, 4:50 pm

staffordian wrote: Ahh, bike tyres. When I was a lad it was twenty six by one and three eighths or by one and a quarter. Or 27" if you had a fancy racer.

The new sizes are double Dutch to me :D

I must be really behind the times because I've not noticed that bike tyres have gone French (and I still need to buy bikes for my growing daughter).

At least suitcases are still in English when I needed to buy a new one recently.

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » June 15th, 2024, 5:07 pm

Je dois acheter une nouvelle valise

Just in case it changes before next time.

Return to “Bitter Lemons”