Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to smokey01,bungeejumper,stockton,Anonymous,bruncher, for Donating to support the site

EVRi - conclusion

Grumpy Old Lemons Like You
gnawsome
Lemon Slice

EVRi - conclusion

Postby gnawsome » May 30th, 2024, 3:48 pm

Moderator Message:
Topic now moved to Bitter Lemons. Shadow left here

My parcel has now arrived, it was placed inside my porch (normally kept locked)
It seems as tho' EVRi can't see letterboxes as this parcel is defined as 'large letter' and would have easily gone thro my letterbox so I can only guess the courier has some aversion - similar to the aversion to touching a door-bell.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Re: EVRi - conclusion

Postby Mike4 » May 30th, 2024, 5:54 pm

gnawsome wrote:My parcel has now arrived, it was placed inside my porch (normally kept locked)
It seems as tho' EVRi can't see letterboxes as this parcel is defined as 'large letter' and would have easily gone thro my letterbox so I can only guess the courier has some aversion - similar to the aversion to touching a door-bell.

When these bods are getting paid 50p per delivery and out of that have to to provide their own vana and fuel, I suspect sneaking up and putting the parcel quietly down on the doorstep and getting on with the next delivery raises their productivity no end, over ringing the doorbell and waiting for you to answer.

Just a guess though.

Maroochydore
Lemon Slice

Postby Maroochydore » May 30th, 2024, 8:57 pm

Mike4 wrote:When these bods are getting paid 50p per delivery and out of that have to to provide their own vana and fuel,

I'm waiting for a parcel via Evri Parcel Lost. Whilst checking the tracking site I notice they say if no one's in they will try and deliver up to three times.

So
a) how do they know no one's in if they don't ring the door bell?

b) do they get 50p for each attempt at delivery or just 50p no matter what?

May explain but not excuse their attitude.

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » May 30th, 2024, 9:15 pm

50p for an actual delivery ie left at premises.

My son was with hermes (same mob, different name AIUI). He was told on starting to leave "safe" if no answer (they did ring/knock then). Or by the door if nowhere "safe". That was fine until someone reported a non delivery - so one of lied to get a refund/a second item sent/it was stolen. My son was then told he had to deliver into hands, cant leave. Then he was bringing back home 2/3rds of his parcels - cos pre covid of course "everybody" travelled to a workplace and no one was at home. If the parcel was returned to depot, it wasn't delivered and no 50p delivery. His car and our shed just slowly filled with parcels he couldn't ever find people in to deliver to - we tried evening runs as well .

Some days he would spend 7-8 hours on a run and earn under a fiver.

In the end his car died and he had to just stop overnight. The whole thing destroyed him. I was quietly pleased he didnt have to work for them any longer because it was a rubbish way to earn a living and frankly untenable. Some days he was paying to deliver people's parcels in effect.

Then of course lockdown/covid happened and now the approach was cant knock/ring 'cos cant risk meeting people so it became the norm to just leave and let the your-parcel-has-arrived messages do the "knocking". Post lockdown that remained the status quo.

And as per the quote when they are paid 50p per delivery it helps the day go more efficiently for the delivers. And who can blame them?

Or we could all pay an extra fiver per delivery charge so the drivers can earn a proper income I suppose. Nah - didnt think that would be too popular.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » May 30th, 2024, 9:32 pm

Maroochydore wrote:So
a) how do they know no one's in if they don't ring the door bell?

May explain but not excuse their attitude.

b) No delivery, no money. Why would any firm pay you to not deliver something?

I think their attitude is fully in step with their employer's attitude to them. I tend to find this in life. If a 'customer-facing' spod is rude or awkward to you the customer, you can bet your life the company is treating them like shyte and this is their way of hitting back.

Might not be right but it's how the world works in my limited experience.

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » May 31st, 2024, 8:22 am

Mike4 wrote: If a 'customer-facing' spod is rude or awkward to you the customer, you can bet your life the company is treating them like shyte and this is their way of hitting back.

Might not be right but it's how the world works in my limited experience.

It may not even be "hitting back" but just what happens when under silly pressure to do a poorly supported task. And I agree with the last sentence 100%.

didds

gnawsome
Lemon Slice

Postby gnawsome » May 31st, 2024, 12:50 pm

When these bods are getting paid 50p per delivery and out of that have to to provide their own vana and fuel, I suspect sneaking up and putting the parcel quietly down on the doorstep and getting on with the next delivery raises their productivity no end, over ringing the doorbell and waiting for you to answer.

Just a guess though.

I've lost count now but I think 4 attempts to deliver - a very poor success rate for a very small reward when the courier could have achieved the same reward if they'd just put it thro' the letter-box at the first attempt.
I reckon that would have improved productivity.
May I ask a supplementary?
When the tracking process gives dimensions of the item, why do they only give width and length.
The item will have 3 dimensions and the serious one is likely to be height (thickness) but that's not viewable

Maroochydore
Lemon Slice

Postby Maroochydore » May 31st, 2024, 9:47 pm

So, as mentioned in my post yesterday, I was awaiting a delivery which was scheduled for today.

As I was out all day I ticked the option that if no one in leave with a neighbour (having first checked with neighbour that he was OK with that).

I got the e-mail saying they had made the delivery and it was in the porch. Not only was this contrary to the instruction to go next door (for which we received an e-mail confirmation that this instruction was noted) but amazing as we don't have a porch. I've got a Porsche but this isn't the same thing and it wasn't at the house at the time anyway.

It was left on our step and fortunately a different neighbour spotted it and rescued it until we returned home.

So, whilst Evri are bad as Yodel, I've always found DPD good, until today. We were out at our daughter's house and the doorbell rang. DPD had a delivery for her friend, two houses down, would she accept delivery as she was given as the alternative address. She accepted 4 x 25kg boxes (dishwasher salt apparently). She texted her friend to say it had arrived and the response was, her friend was in all day and no one called, they went straight to the alternate address.

Mind you, getting paid 50p to hump 100kgs would tick me off as well.

BobGe
Lemon Slice

Postby BobGe » June 4th, 2024, 7:16 am

gnawsome wrote:My parcel has now arrived, it was placed inside my porch (normally kept locked)

If you go to the carrier's own website tracking system and drill down you will quite often find a POD photo which can be indicative of the manner of delivery and where they have left it. Can be useful...

gnawsome
Lemon Slice

Postby gnawsome » June 4th, 2024, 2:35 pm

BobGe wrote:If you go to the carrier's own website tracking system and drill down you will quite often find a POD photo which can be indicative of the manner of delivery and where they have left it. Can be useful...

I've already followed that procedure (to get the picture)
... but unfortunately not in this case, other than to point up the courier's shortcomings.
I am relying on the fact that when the door was locked - no delivery. When the door was unlocked - delivery.
The photo makes plain that the parcel was placed in its position by hand. The adequate letter-box was available on each previous attempted delivery. It was just ignored (not seen).
Others are very sympathetic towards the couriers, so am I!
But these examples of the couriers making the job more difficult that it needs to be reduce my level of sympathy

Rhyd6
Lemon Quarter

Postby Rhyd6 » June 5th, 2024, 5:40 pm

Our Evri Driver Lee is fantastic. He always rings and if we're not in will leave parcel in safe place with note through door. He gives me time to answer bell as I have arthiritic knee so somewhat slow and most importantly is always cheerful. If all Evri drivers were like him they'd be top of the league, mind you he always says that if every customer was as pleasant as me his job satisfaction would improve enormously! - he must always catch me on good days.

R6

Return to “Bitter Lemons”