Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to DrFfybes,smokey01,bungeejumper,stockton,Anonymous, for Donating to support the site

Up the creek at the prospect of strong and stable leadership?

Closed-end funds and OEICs
Retiringat51
Lemon Pip

Up the creek at the prospect of strong and stable leadership?

Postby Retiringat51 » June 7th, 2017, 1:20 pm

http://citywire.co.uk/investment-trust- ... n/a1022591

Chelverton Small Companies Dividend (SDV) joins the fray this morning (down 7%)

toofast2live
Lemon Slice

Re: Up the creek at the prospect of strong and stable leadership?

Postby toofast2live » June 7th, 2017, 2:58 pm

Just wait until Jezza gives his speech from the door of No. 10....

forrado
2 Lemon pips

Postby forrado » June 7th, 2017, 9:13 pm

I had reason to read the linked Citywire article with more than a passing interest. Being that on 31 March my SIPP sold out of the mentioned Diverse Income (DIVI) having held it for 3.5 years. Then, on the same day, with such funds at my disposal I bought into the likewise Citywire mentioned Standard Life Private Equity (SLPE) on the grounds of reducing my overall exposure to the UK. Diverse Income being 100% UK mid-small-micro cap exposed, while Standard Life’s SLPE is non-UK mainly Continental Europe focused. I might add that previously had no exposure to private equity.

SLPE’s share price hit a high of 327p some 4 weeks ago but has since been gradually drifting down. However, today saw a 6p share price bounce, from 307p to 313p, following the overdue release of the half-yearly figures for the period ending 31 March that saw the NAV rise 6.5% to 368.9p per share. Together with details of the previously promised intention to pay an enhanced annual dividend starting at 12p per share, the first payment of 6p being now due on 21 July. See …

http://www.investegate.co.uk/standard-life-priv--slpe-/rns/half-year-report/201706070700023380H/

While the ISA elements of my portfolio remains fully invested in long-term equity income holdings in order that I can continue drawing down tax-free sources of income without interruption, my SIPP holdings however, I prefer to run on a total return ‘less-hands-off’ basis that that of my ISA. Currently, my SIPP is running 11.3% cash with approx. a further 8% expected come 22 June from the tender offer returns of my holding in Polar Capital’s PCGH trust, which is in the process of morphing into an entity I chose not to be part of. The reason being that since the start of the year I’ve increasingly turned negative (especially on the UK, no matter who is in power) and, other than establishing a non-UK private equity position via Standard Life’s SLPE, my SIPP has been steadily raising cash in expectation of market turbulence to come.

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » June 7th, 2017, 10:46 pm

Forrado, I added SLPE to my IT portfolio a couple of months back, as I had no direct exposure to the Private Equity sector.

I picked up late last year that it was dropping the word "European" from its name and had adjusted its mandate to allow exposure to global opportunities, which I understand means it would be adding some US exposure. I also noted that it was increasing its dividend yield to 3.5% and would if necessary support that from capital released on sales.

I spotted yesterday that the SP fell back to 307p and was tempted to top up, though I decided to wait to see what uncertainties arise over the next couple of days in the light of the general election.

Return to “Investment Trusts and Unit Trusts”