Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to DrFfybes,smokey01,bungeejumper,stockton,Anonymous, for Donating to support the site

Henderson Intl Inc Trust - open offer for C shares

Closed-end funds and OEICs
richfool
Lemon Quarter

Henderson Intl Inc Trust - open offer for C shares

Postby richfool » April 7th, 2017, 2:52 pm

HENDERSON INTL INC ORD GBP0.01
I refer to your holding of shares in the above security.
The Company has recently announced an open offer and the terms are 1 new C share for every 2 held at 100p per share. As you purchased the shares prior to the entitlement date you are able to subscribe for further shares.

As an existing holder of HINT IT's I have just received notification of the above offer. I don't know exactly what benefits the subs shares come with, so I'm not sure whether this is something I should jump at or not. Any appropriate thoughts would be appreciated.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Re: Henderson Intl Inc Trust - open offer for C shares

Postby Lootman » April 7th, 2017, 4:53 pm

Usually the only benefit that such subscription shares come with is an opportunity to buy new shares at a discount to the current market price. With an investment trust, that is most likely to be when the IT trades at a premium to NAV and the new shares are issued at or below NAV. I notice that this IT currently trades at about a 4% discount to NAV, so it's not clear to me how there is any free lunch here. But it depends on the actual details of the offer.

I would generally only take these up if it is an IT that I would like to buy more of anyway AND I think that management are good enough to be able to manage a larger fund at least as well as they can manage a small fund. So for example if Lindsell Train did an open offer at NAV I'd take it. Alliance? Not a chance.

Unlike rights or warrants, the subscription shares themselves usually have no value and cannot be traded. You either subscribe or you don't.

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » April 7th, 2017, 4:54 pm

richfool wrote:I don't know exactly what benefits the subs shares come with...

Here you go: https://az768132.vo.msecnd.net/document ... 0.gzip.pdf

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » April 7th, 2017, 6:08 pm

Thanks Lootman and Mc2fool. Some light reading for the weekend!

I didn't have any plans to add to that particular holding, which is of a reasonable size, and of a similar size to several other of my IT holdings, which enables me to make quick and easy comparisons between them in terms of dividend income and capital growth. So I may not take it up.

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » April 24th, 2017, 5:15 pm

I just came across this article which gives a usesful insight into the issue of HINT "C" class shares:

http://citywire.co.uk/investment-trust- ... -news-list

It makes the point that the costs of the "C" shares issuance & set up will be borne by those shareholders, therefore one would effectively be buying at a slight premium. As the ordinary shares have recently been trading at a slight discount or a premium of under 1%, it would seem to be preferable, if one wants to be more shares, to buy those in the open market and not bother with the "C" shares (unless perhaps one was an institution or larger investor who might not be able to easily pick up a large enough holding in the open market.).

doug2500
Lemon Slice

Postby doug2500 » April 24th, 2017, 8:36 pm

Same article on the aic:

http://www.theaic.co.uk/aic/news/citywi ... onsidering

It's a good article and finally cleared things up for me.

Congrats on 100 posts Richfool.

Return to “Investment Trusts and Unit Trusts”