Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to DrFfybes,smokey01,bungeejumper,stockton,Anonymous, for Donating to support the site

HSBC FTSE 250 alternatives and thoughts?

Closed-end funds and OEICs
mlc2010

HSBC FTSE 250 alternatives and thoughts?

Postby mlc2010 » February 19th, 2017, 5:12 pm

Hi All,
So about a year or so ago, I put 10 percent of my s&s ISA money into HSBC FTSE 250 tracker, due to fact my other investments are higher risk and I wanted a uk part of portfolio, which isn't so volatile. This has risen 30 percent. It is worth around £13k now, and I'm thinking of switching it into something more exotic

do you guys have any ideas of a comparable fund? I'm thinking a uk smaller companies fund, which has more room for growth

I do realise its not a good idea to chop and change funds in a portfolio, but I think I'm prepared to accept a little bit more risk

77ss
Lemon Quarter

Re: HSBC FTSE 250 alternatives and thoughts?

Postby 77ss » February 19th, 2017, 8:36 pm

mlc2010 wrote:Hi All,
So about a year or so ago, I put 10 percent of my s&s ISA money into HSBC FTSE 250 tracker, due to fact my other investments are higher risk and I wanted a uk part of portfolio, which isn't so volatile. This has risen 30 percent. It is worth around £13k now, and I'm thinking of switching it into something more exotic

do you guys have any ideas of a comparable fund? I'm thinking a uk smaller companies fund, which has more room for growth

I do realise its not a good idea to chop and change funds in a portfolio, but I think I'm prepared to accept a little bit more risk

I bought about 6 years ago, and its risen by about 80%. Very satisfactory for my my purposes, and I shall be sticking with it - perhaps with some top-slicing in the next year or two.

If you want a UK smaller companies investment, you could look at Henderson Smaller Companies (an investment trust rather than a fund). There are others of course, check out Trustnet.

I don't see HSL as being particularly exotic though.

mlc2010

Re: HSBC FTSE 250 alternatives and thoughts?

Postby mlc2010 » February 19th, 2017, 8:48 pm

77ss wrote:]

I bought about 6 years ago, and its risen by about 80%. Very satisfactory for my my purposes, and I shall be sticking with it - perhaps with some top-slicing in the next year or two.

If you want a UK smaller companies investment, you could look at Henderson Smaller Companies (an investment trust rather than a fund). There are others of course, check out Trustnet.

I don't see HSL as being particularly exotic though.

Yeah I just double checked its 5 year performance and its risen a lot more than I expected, perhaps I expected it to be similiar to ftse 100, but ftse 250 has had some good gains, looks like I may stick with it

Return to “Investment Trusts and Unit Trusts”