Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to DrFfybes,smokey01,bungeejumper,stockton,Anonymous, for Donating to support the site

Investment company research - all in one place

Closed-end funds and OEICs
DavidM13
Lemon Slice

Investment company research - all in one place

Postby DavidM13 » July 23rd, 2023, 8:10 am

Hi,
I notice that some threads highlight new investment company research. For those not aware, please note you can see ALL investment company research from the paid for research houses in one place here https://www.theaic.co.uk/research-tools ... y-research So for example the Witan one from Friday is there.

Please bear in mind that this research is likely to have been paid for by the investment company. So factor that in to any insights you may take from the research piece.

The research is also available on the individual company profile page of each Trust. e.g. Witan here has three different providers conducting research on it, which again may help comparisons. https://www.theaic.co.uk/companydata/wi ... t/research

Hope that helps!

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Re: Investment company research - all in one place

Postby UncleEbenezer » July 23rd, 2023, 10:43 am

David,

Do you offer anything like an RSS feed for RNS announcements on a per-company basis, if not for all listed companies then at least for investment companies subscribing to the AIC? If not, is that something you'd consider?

I've been kind-of bereaved since Investegate stopped their service!

stacker512
2 Lemon pips

Postby stacker512 » July 23rd, 2023, 10:03 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:I've been kind-of bereaved since Investegate stopped their service!

Erm... Investegate is still providing per-company RNS announcements (as emails, not sure about RSS).

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » July 23rd, 2023, 10:53 pm

stacker512 wrote:
UncleEbenezer wrote:I've been kind-of bereaved since Investegate stopped their service!

Erm... Investegate is still providing per-company RNS announcements (as emails, not sure about RSS).

I don't want that volume of extra b***** email!

RSS is far more efficient, far less hassle (the hoops I don't have to jump through to subscribe or unsubscribe to a feed), and for me as user (as opposed to someone wanting to package and sell my data) it preserves my privacy.

DavidM13
Lemon Slice

Postby DavidM13 » July 24th, 2023, 8:54 am

UncleEbenezer wrote:David,

Do you offer anything like an RSS feed for RNS announcements on a per-company basis, if not for all listed companies then at least for investment companies subscribing to the AIC? If not, is that something you'd consider?

We have all RNS and PRN stock exchange announcements for investment companies.

The full stream is here https://www.theaic.co.uk/aic/news/announcements RNS has a 60 minute delay, PRN is instantaneous. You can filter by type of story and date and switch NAV announcements on or off.

On a per company level it can be found on the announcement tabs of each company profile page. example here https://www.theaic.co.uk/companydata/sc ... ouncements

Does that answer your question/give you what you need?

You can also set up email alerts on data and stock exchange announcements. As someone who has also suffered from the deluge of emails when doing it previously I designed it so you only get ONE email per day but that has links to each individual alert you may have set up. Much more user friendly and elegant.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » July 24th, 2023, 12:34 pm

DavidM13 wrote:
UncleEbenezer wrote:David,

We have all RNS and PRN stock exchange announcements for investment companies.

Thanks for the reply - much appreciated that you engage with us here. Yes, I think I'd seen that.

The full stream is here https://www.theaic.co.uk/aic/news/announcements RNS has a 60 minute delay, PRN is instantaneous. You can filter by type of story and date and switch NAV announcements on or off.

On a per company level it can be found on the announcement tabs of each company profile page. example here https://www.theaic.co.uk/companydata/sc ... ouncements

What's missing there (unless I'm just being dumb) is the RSS feed that I could use to see those in my feed, without having to point my browser at your page every day. You picked a good example there with SMT: they have lots of RNS announcements I'd ignore (like "transaction in own shares" or "total voting rights"), but some I'd like to be aware of.

I do visit your pages from time to time, generally when actively considering an investment decision and/or trying to educate myself. An RSS feed serves to keep me informed on existing investments. Like email alerts, but organised in a way that's much less hassle and effort to stay on top of and - crucially - leaves me in charge!

Does that answer your question/give you what you need?

You can also set up email alerts on data and stock exchange announcements. As someone who has also suffered from the deluge of emails when doing it previously I designed it so you only get ONE email per day but that has links to each individual alert you may have set up. Much more user friendly and elegant.

I'll take a look at that, though my suspicion is that I won't like it. If the links in the email are individualised tracking links then it would be against my principles to follow them. And I suspect that setting up the filter would involve a bit of a learning curve, which is a minor annoyance.

Maybe I should get my posterior[*] into gear and write a script to scrape RNS announcements daily. I did quite a lot of that kind of thing in days of yore, though of course it leaves me hostage to changes in the design of whatever I'm scraping. But in so doing I'll probably point it at Investegate or LSE rather than your pages, so it isn't limited to investment companies. If this conversation has motivated me to do something then great!

[*] That is of course a synonym for the usual word - which lemonfool's bowdleriser would remove!

DavidM13
Lemon Slice

Postby DavidM13 » July 24th, 2023, 1:26 pm

Well glad I could have been at least of "some " help :lol: Apologies no RSS feed.

I assure you we don't do anything naughty with any "tracking" links if they even are tracking links on the alert function. I can ask my developer if they are or not if you want? Or perhaps you can see if you set it up? You can tell this is not my area of expertise but we are certainly not in the business of selling user data or whatever tracking links are used for.

Re: hit and miss about setting up the filter. yes, there are about 75 categories of news items and the firms do not always select the most appropriate. We have bucketed these 75 into 8 or so buckets so you will get some false positives perhaps but there is nothing we could do on that if its categorised badly.

Another place that has news is the National Storage Mechanism. https://data.fca.org.uk/#/nsm/nationalstoragemechanism Maybe this will be an easier platform than LSE or Investegate to interact with because it has quite a few columns you can add or delete.
good luck!

Return to “Investment Trusts and Unit Trusts”