Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to smokey01,bungeejumper,stockton,Anonymous,bruncher, for Donating to support the site

Stained bricks

Does what it says on the tin
Nemo
Lemon Slice

Stained bricks

Postby Nemo » June 23rd, 2024, 8:41 am

We have a brick drive that ends up in a widish parking space before our garage. We’ve had the builders in and they have left a few oily type marks on the brickwork. Is there anything that I can use to remove these? All I’ve done at the moment is put some washing up liquid on it (years ago someone told me this helped).

Thanks

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Re: Stained bricks

Postby bungeejumper » June 23rd, 2024, 9:18 am

Having owned half a dozen leaky British motorbikes in the past, I'd start with sand, which will soak up anything that's soakable. There are solvents available (eg https://www.toolstation.com/outdoor-oil ... ver/p84539), and my old dad used to use petrol(!!!), but the risk is that you might drive the stain further in.

Some say that a combination of vinegar and bicarbonate of soda will work, although I can't see how they'd tackle something that was essentially oily. Good old soap and a scrubbing brush would probably be preferable. :|

Best of luck.

BJ

Dicky99
Lemon Slice

Postby Dicky99 » June 23rd, 2024, 4:38 pm

Since Swarfega does a good on one's hands presumably it would be effective on loosening oil up on surfaces but I'd imagine what ever is most effective on the oil will leave a clean "stain" on the brickwork which will stand out unless you jet clean the whole lot perhaps.

brightncheerful
Lemon Quarter

Postby brightncheerful » June 23rd, 2024, 7:13 pm

WD 40 removes tyre marks, apparently.

https://toyotacreek.com/a-comprehensive-guide-on-removing-tyre-marks-safely/

Sorry, I misread the op: meant type marks, not tyre. But worth trying as WD40 has a myriad of uses.

or here: https://www.allstate.com/resources/car-insurance/how-to-remove-oil-from-driveway

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » June 23rd, 2024, 9:20 pm

Dicky99 wrote:Since Swarfega does a good on one's hands presumably it would be effective on loosening oil up on surfaces but I'd imagine what ever is most effective on the oil will leave a clean "stain" on the brickwork which will stand out unless you jet clean the whole lot perhaps.

Swarfega does a mediocre job on the hands.

Old-fashioned washing powder/detergent does a much better job. I keep an ancient packet in the bathroom for precisely that purpose: if I've got the hands oily, pour out a little on to them, add a little water, wash hands as if with soap and watch the oil disappear. Once they look clean, put them under the tap and rinse off.

No idea if it would help the OP, but might be worth a try.

mutantpoodle
Lemon Quarter

Postby mutantpoodle » June 24th, 2024, 7:59 am

if none of the above work and nobody offers a better solution
is it possible to turn the affected b ricks upside down?

Return to “Building and DIY”