Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to DrFfybes,smokey01,bungeejumper,stockton,Anonymous, for Donating to support the site

Air (and Ground) Source Heat Pumps

Does what it says on the tin
scotview
Lemon Quarter

Re: Air (and Ground) Source Heat Pumps

Postby scotview » January 24th, 2023, 10:22 am

OhNoNotimAgain wrote:I installed a GSHP 12 years ago in a 300 yr old largely stone built house, converted from an agricultural building, in Scotland.

Thanks for posting, interesting.

The video below is by a young chap who has recently installed an air to air system. Towards the end of the video, he gives a very fair review of heat pump costs. His conclusion it that heat pumps will not necessarily save you money compared to a gas boiler system. The main reason to install a heat pump is to reduce CO2 emissions. This is one of the fairest and most sensible videos I've seen on heat pump effectiveness, I wish there was more objective stuff like this on the subject.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpVkPna4W7c

OhNoNotimAgain
Lemon Slice

Postby OhNoNotimAgain » January 24th, 2023, 10:58 am

scotview wrote:
OhNoNotimAgain wrote:I installed a GSHP 12 years ago in a 300 yr old largely stone built house, converted from an agricultural building, in Scotland.

The video below is by a young chap who has recently installed an air to air system. Towards the end of the video, he gives a very fair review of heat pump costs. His conclusion it that heat pumps will not necessarily save you money compared to a gas boiler system. The main reason to install a heat pump is to reduce CO2 emissions. This is one of the fairest and most sensible videos I've seen on heat pump effectiveness, I wish there was more objective stuff like this on the subject.

It's saved me a fortune in oil over that time, and it has kept the whole house much warmer. Talking to friends with not too dissimilar properties they are paying the same as me, or more, for oil then electricity on top.

The killer is the capital cost. Mine was about £25k in 2010, but I got grants and interest free loans. I think the costs have roughly doubled since then.

In terms of consumption I forgot to mention that electricity use also covers charging an electric car.

anon155742
Lemon Slice

Postby anon155742 » January 24th, 2023, 11:57 am

OhNoNotimAgain wrote:
scotview wrote:

It's saved me a fortune in oil over that time, and it has kept the whole house much warmer. Talking to friends with not too dissimilar properties they are paying the same as me, or more, for oil then electricity on top.

The killer is the capital cost. Mine was about £25k in 2010, but I got grants and interest free loans. I think the costs have roughly doubled since then.

In terms of consumption I forgot to mention that electricity use also covers charging an electric car.

Your fixed deal must be about 5p per unit - well done!

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » January 24th, 2023, 1:41 pm

OhNoNotimAgain wrote:It's saved me a fortune in oil over that time, and it has kept the whole house much warmer. Talking to friends with not too dissimilar properties they are paying the same as me, or more, for oil then electricity on top.

We are the last house on the gas grid in our area, we were told not to bother with ASHP at the moment as it wouldn't save us money, but neigbours on oil are given different advice.

It is a tough call - we personally don't want underfloor heating as we switch the rads on and off throughout the day as we move around the house, heating unoccupied rooms negates any benefits. However the standalone units for local heating of one room is appealing - we're doing some building works and a 7kW gas fired "wood burner" style heater is about £6k installed, but a Daikin unit like FD and Howard have done would be a lot less and would be useful to cool in summer.

Paul

Return to “Building and DIY”