Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to smokey01,bungeejumper,stockton,Anonymous,bruncher, for Donating to support the site

iPhone screen problem

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
Nimrod103
Lemon Half

iPhone screen problem

Postby Nimrod103 » June 24th, 2024, 8:53 am

This is a problem I have never encountered before.
I have an iPhone 11. I was moving an email from Spam back into my inbox (I use Yahoo). This move was accomplished successfully, but a miniaturized verson of the e mail is now always present in the top left hand corner of my screen - it appears as thin black lines but I recognize it as the e mail.
Nothing I can do removes it. It is always there, on all Apps. It is as if it has burnt itself into the screen.
Other than a boot to the factory setting, is there anything I can do to remove it?

GoSeigen
Lemon Quarter

Re: iPhone screen problem

Postby GoSeigen » June 24th, 2024, 9:41 am

Nimrod103 wrote:This is a problem I have never encountered before.
I have an iPhone 11. I was moving an email from Spam back into my inbox (I use Yahoo). This move was accomplished successfully, but a miniaturized verson of the e mail is now always present in the top left hand corner of my screen - it appears as thin black lines but I recognize it as the e mail.
Nothing I can do removes it. It is always there, on all Apps. It is as if it has burnt itself into the screen.
Other than a boot to the factory setting, is there anything I can do to remove it?

What happens when you tap the icon?
What happens when you turn your phone off and on again?
When you say you use Yahoo! do you mean their App, or just their email on IOS's built-in mail app?
Which version of IOS are you on?

Is the phone more than 70 years old? If so just chuck it... ;)

GS

Nimrod103
Lemon Half

Postby Nimrod103 » June 24th, 2024, 11:55 am

GoSeigen wrote:
Nimrod103 wrote:This is a problem I have never encountered before.

What happens when you tap the icon?
What happens when you turn your phone off and on again?
When you say you use Yahoo! do you mean their App, or just their email on IOS's built-in mail app?
Which version of IOS are you on?

Is the phone more than 70 years old? If so just chuck it... ;)

GS

Nothing happens when I tap the icon. Just stays there, immobile.
Turning the phone off and on again has no effect.
I use the in built mail app, but it accesses my Yahoo account
I am on version 17.5.1, which I think is the most up to date.

I think the phone is about 5-6 years old. It was my son's before me.
I'm baffled.

GoSeigen
Lemon Quarter

Postby GoSeigen » June 24th, 2024, 12:30 pm

Nimrod103 wrote:Nothing happens when I tap the icon. Just stays there, immobile.

I'm baffled.

Just checking, you actually powered off the phone (by "sliding to power off") and turned it on again, you didn't just put it in sleep mode?

GS

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » June 24th, 2024, 12:41 pm

The Apple iOS help pages will have the soft reset and hard reset procedures - start with a soft, a hard will reset everything and you'll need to restore from a backup.

If it's a physical hardware issue that needs fixing see if you have an iSmash repair shop nearby...https://www.ismash.com/

I had a Pixel 8 Pro frozen screen fixed free under warranty at my local one, they do iPhones and offer discount voucher codes all the time + loyalty discounts.
I also got a Pixel 3a battery swap done and with all the stacked discounts it ended up being £20.
Newer models will get turned round same day, older models that need parts ordering might be a few days.

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » June 24th, 2024, 3:12 pm

GoSeigen wrote:
Nimrod103 wrote:Nothing happens when I tap the icon. Just stays there, immobile.

I'm baffled.

Just checking, you actually powered off the phone (by "sliding to power off") and turned it on again, you didn't just put it in sleep mode?

GS

You have said what I was thinking. A lad who worked for me in computing services had a solution to most problems - "BRS" or Big Red Switch. That was when most computers had one. Pulling the mains lead out was an alternative. Restart may give you back what you had before. Best to switch off completely.

TJH

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”