Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to smokey01,bungeejumper,stockton,Anonymous,bruncher, for Donating to support the site

Moving to Bitwarden?

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
Newroad
Lemon Quarter

Moving to Bitwarden?

Postby Newroad » June 23rd, 2024, 5:02 pm

Afternoon All.

I'm thinking about moving to BitWarden ($1 per month Premium subscription) as a password etc manager.

Three questions, but mostly about the 3rd

1. Is BitWarden still a good option?
    2. Is the Premium subscription a good choice within (it would be for my use, but I'd like Mrs Newroad to be able to access in the event of my untimely demise/incapacity)?
    3. How best to migrate to it, e.g. big bang, one site at a time, one device at a time (though this doesn't seem possible to me) etc?

Any advice gratefully received!

Regards, Newroad

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Re: Moving to Bitwarden?

Postby Infrasonic » June 23rd, 2024, 6:00 pm

I'm currently using Proton Pass because I get it included with my ProtonMail paid account - if I wasn't I would be trying Bitwarden as it is very flexible and it can be used with passkeys/hardware keys (Fido2 Yubikeys etc) as 2FA.

Depending on who your current password provider is you should just be able to import them into Bitwarden and they should then sync across all devices that have BW installed. If not then export all the passwords to a CSV file and import them that way.
Just watch out for double importing as I'm not sure if there is a deduplication facility in BW.
There isn't in PP yet (it's been requested) and it caught me out when I was setting it up... :D

https://www.tomsguide.com/reviews/bitwarden

Newroad
Lemon Quarter

Postby Newroad » June 23rd, 2024, 6:52 pm

Thanks, Infrasonic.

I don't actually have a current provider (though I can see why you thought I did as I used the word "migrate").

So, my question (3) actually means "migrating" from without a Password Manager to one for the first time.

Regards, Newroad

stacker512
2 Lemon pips

Postby stacker512 » June 23rd, 2024, 9:17 pm

I use Bitwarden.

Is there any specific need for the paid service? Or would the free service work just fine?

In my browser, I have the Bitwarden add-in installed, so once I am logged in, anytime I login to a site that already has browser password, it will usually ask me if I want the Bitwarden add-in to remember that account too, and I say yes.

I suspect the process of migrating is still fairly manual.

Redmires
Lemon Slice

Postby Redmires » June 23rd, 2024, 10:52 pm

I migrated from Lastpass to Bitwarden last year. Very simple process, as explained below.

https://bitwarden.com/help/import-data/

I use the free version for solo use but it looks like you can set up a free shared account using the 'free organisation' option.

https://bitwarden.com/help/password-manager-plans/

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”