Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to bungeejumper,stockton,Anonymous,bruncher,niord, for Donating to support the site

Travel router

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Travel router

Postby Infrasonic » June 2nd, 2024, 9:32 am

I recently bought a *GL.iNet GL-X3000 travel router and have set it up load balanced across my two Pixels (Lebara + Smarty unlimited data SIMS) with Tailscale enabled.

One phone running USB Tethered, the other Ethernet using a USB to Ethernet adapter. I got some USB C charge/data Y-split cables so I can run this as a permanent set up at home. Got a couple of Devolo powerline adapters as well to try and get decent 5Ghz coverage across my flat. The phones can run dual WiFi hotspot + cabled tethered so with a bit of judicious 'preferred network' juggling I should be able to run five WAP's (and the Pixel 8 Pro can do WiFi7 6Ghz).

So far so good... :D

* They also do the same router (Puli version) with a built in rechargeable battery for true mobile/built in UPS use but it wasn't in stock and costs a fair bit more. I'm looking at a USB to barrel jack with passthrough charging battery bank DIY solution there with my router as I've already got all the bits - just need to make sure it's not some quirky wiring protocol first.

swill453
Lemon Half

Re: Travel router

Postby swill453 » June 2nd, 2024, 12:37 pm

If you're using your phones for mobile data, doesn't that mean you're not using the dual-SIM capability of the router, and it's a bit overkill for the job?

Scott.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » June 2nd, 2024, 12:51 pm

swill453 wrote:If you're using your phones for mobile data, doesn't that mean you're not using the dual-SIM capability of the router, and it's a bit overkill for the job?

Scott.

Dual SIM is only single modem - no load balancing across two SIMS. Still of use for a local data SIM when abroad and then you have a single saved login for all your kit - phones, laptops, cameras et al.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » June 9th, 2024, 8:07 am

One thing I hadn't predicted - the powerline adapters have become superfluous (for wifi anyway) as the router is maintaining a 5 bar 5GHz connection (@1.1Gb/s) everywhere in the flat with all my mobile kit - laptops/phones.

Previously when I was using the hotspots from the phones that wasn't the case and there was a lot of 5 to 2.4 and back flip flopping.
2.4 is so congested I avoid it completely if possible.

WiFI 7 WAP review here...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0S0kjegtivA

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » June 15th, 2024, 10:41 am

A slightly annoying thing...

The USB to Ethernet adapter needs the Y-split power/data cable and the phones can get a bit confused with the signalling when initially plugging in.
(USB tethered phone is stable as power is included.)

So I have to plug in with just the ethernet adapter, toggle the tethering button on in settings then leave it for a bit to settle before then plugging in the USB charging cable to the Y-split. It then sometimes freaks out and switches the tethering toggle off. Eventually it all works as planned but is less than ideal.

I might move to a PoE RJ45 to USB adapter so that the power is included - they get used for networking permanent install USB cameras or smartphones that have been set up as CCTV additions.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » June 15th, 2024, 10:46 am

Infrasonic wrote:A slightly annoying thing...

The USB to Ethernet adapter needs the Y-split power/data cable and the phones can get a bit confused with the signalling when initially plugging in.

So I have to plug in with just the ethernet adapter, toggle the tethering button on in settings then leave it for a bit to settle before then plugging in the USB charging cable to the Y-split. It then sometimes freaks out and switches the tethering toggle off. Eventually it all works as planned but is less than ideal.

I might move to a PoE RJ45 to USB adapter so that the power is included - they get used for networking permanent install USB cameras or smartphones that have been set up as CCTV additions.

I'm a bit confused by the USB cable topology you mention but I'll accept it
I did an external CD burner for IBM many moons back that used a Y-cable with a 1F Cap in one to handle the extra grunt needed - these days though I would have thought a powered hub would solve most things (if not USB-C which seems to have rendered a lot of my box of bits redundant)

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » June 15th, 2024, 11:06 am

servodude wrote:

I did an external CD burner for IBM many moons back that used a Y-cable with a 1F Cap in one to handle the extra grunt needed - these days though I would have thought a powered hub would solve most things (if not USB-C which seems to have rendered a lot of my box of bits redundant)

A powered hub won't make any difference - the USB power is already coming from a USB C AC adapter charging plug with more than enough juice to supply more than one phone, and use of a hub doesn't remove the need for the USB C data/power Y-split.

Just look on Amazon and you'll see how it all works adapters wise... ;)

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » June 15th, 2024, 12:08 pm

Infrasonic wrote:
servodude wrote:

A powered hub won't make any difference - the USB power is already coming from a USB C AC adapter charging plug with more than enough juice to supply more than one phone, and use of a hub doesn't remove the need for the USB C data/power Y-split.

Just look on Amazon and you'll see how it all works adapters wise... ;)

I will! I've been thinking about the Beryl for a while!
I've just been really surprised at how USB-C has consolidated everything I've needed so far
Our kid's laptop is normally connected via a magnetic USB-C dongle to a a pass though 100W dock that does keyboard mouse, second display and charging!
They never need to turn it around, and around, and retry these days (want there a comedy sketch that burnt a witch because she plugged a USB in right way first time )

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » June 15th, 2024, 12:36 pm

^^ The problem with USB C is so there's so many variables and not all the options get included - so you have to really research every cable/adapter/hub/docking station et al to make sure it has all the features you want and is made to the official specs - it is a massive PITA.

TB4/USB4 has similar issues.
It was supposed to rationalise everything but that only works if the OEM's stick to the agreed specs - even after they get the Intel TB licensing certification mandating them to certain performance minimums they still cut corners to save money. Grrr.

kltrader

Postby kltrader » June 15th, 2024, 3:13 pm

Using a GL.iNet router for load balancing across two Pixels with different SIMs and Tailscale enabled is a smart move. The USB C Y-split cables for power/data combo are a neat touch for a home setup.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » June 22nd, 2024, 2:28 pm

(USB tethered phone is stable as power is included.)...

I had a dig around in my 'cables and adapters' box and found a Belkin USB C to RJ45 ethernet adapter I forgot I'd bought - this one has a USB C power socket next to the RJ45 socket so the power/signaling Y-split inconsistency issue appears to be resolved now as the ethernet tethering toggle option came up immediately and stayed on this time.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Belkin-Etherne ... 155&sr=8-3
https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8117751 ... ter:1:74:1

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”