Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to smokey01,bungeejumper,stockton,Anonymous,bruncher, for Donating to support the site

The Euro 2024 Championship Thread

Please create a thread for your favourite topic.
yyuryyub

Re: The Euro 2024 Championship Thread

Postby yyuryyub » June 26th, 2024, 11:20 am

"A group containing Slovenia, Slovakia and Demark."

Not Slovakia - Serbia.

Denmark vs Germany will be interesting.

the0ni0nking
Lemon Slice

Postby the0ni0nking » June 26th, 2024, 11:30 am

yyuryyub wrote:"A group containing Slovenia, Slovakia and Demark."

Not Slovakia - Serbia.

Denmark vs Germany will be interesting.

Haha - oops. Shows how nauseating every game was given I've forgotten who we played already!

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » June 26th, 2024, 11:51 am

Apparently there is a shortage of grass seed in Germany....it has all been snapped up by the groundsman at Gelsenkirchen in anticipation of some serious wear and tear in the centre of the pitch. All that passing of the ball from side to side is likely to badly cut up the pitch.

:)

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » June 26th, 2024, 11:53 am

"Doff"..

;)

nimnarb
Lemon Quarter

Postby nimnarb » June 26th, 2024, 5:36 pm

Bubblesofearth wrote:
nimnarb wrote:Think the powers that be decided to take a soccer break and watch England whilst they did maintenance on this site, as it was down for several hours, or was that just me?

Anyway, we are through,(and unbeaten) but with all that talent on display, just is putting off the inevitable, surely? What say yee?

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/arti ... 00y6x3j07o

Germany 1 Swiss 1
France 1 Poland 1
Italy 1 Croatia 1
France managed beat mighty Albania 1-0

Kane rightly said these games are tough. We are not the only fancied side finding that. The media and public should get behind the team 100% and maybe have slightly more realistic expectations.

BoE

Agree with the above and I, who have always supported England, just cannot suffer(any more) all this sideways and backwards passing. They are being booed off the field due to boring the fans to sleep, and they have paid a lot of money and time in travel and accommodation to see them. At least have a go with 75% of the time in the opposing side's half. Yes, a lot of draws as was posted and yes, the press has hyped our lot to super, invincible stardom.

I just want to see some exciting, technical, forward pressing motion from our lads, preferably in the right direction with accurate passing. Spain, Portugal, as examples. Is this possible? Been also watching Copa América(not sure if available in the UK) and also not producing many goals, against supposedly inferior teams, but seeing Argentina with Messi and Co, show they still have it, and Messi himself, at 38 or whatever, slowing down a bit, but still a machine, and far superior in skills, determination and excitement to 2 Bellingham's and double his age.

Lastly, Southgate, why does he leave the subs until too late? And stop justifying yourself in advance(telling the press he has never seen anything like it when we are top of our group) as opposed to letting us know that he will make changes, and do the best he can with such talent plus make an effort to produce enthralling attacking footie. Please send Luke Shaw home, as don't need recovering half fit individuals on the side, and let Doku start next!!! The only one I have seen who can produce City form (as in have a go)in this format. Phew!!! :roll:

nimnarb
Lemon Quarter

Postby nimnarb » June 26th, 2024, 5:40 pm

Luke Shaw home, as don't need recovering half fit individuals on the side, and let Doku start next!!! The only one I have seen who can produce City form (as in have a go)in this format. Phew!!! :roll:

Yes, I know, Doku, plays for Belgium :lol: Wishful thinking.

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » June 26th, 2024, 5:59 pm

Foden has left the camp and returned to the UK to attend to a family matter (GF is expecting their 3rd child).

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » June 26th, 2024, 6:02 pm

monabri wrote:Foden has left the camp and returned to the UK to attend to a family matter (GF is expecting their 3rd child).

Sounds like a lack of planning. Didn't he know the dates of the Euros?

--kiloran :lol:

Bubblesofearth
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bubblesofearth » June 26th, 2024, 6:18 pm

the0ni0nking wrote:A group containing Slovenia, Slovakia and Demark.

I doubt the average Joe on the street would be able to name a single player who plays for Slovenia (a team ranked lower than Iraq) or Slovakia (while ranked higher than Slovenia they're still only 45th in the world) - because they're not very good.

While I'm not a booing type of person, the idea that the performances in winning the group have been remotely close to good enough is laughable.

Your argument would be more convincing if you managed to get the teams in our group right ;)

nimnarb
Lemon Quarter

Postby nimnarb » June 26th, 2024, 8:54 pm

Georgia on my mind...

Good match against Portugal, albeit they are basically apart from Ronaldo, missing some star players. Georgia have a few up-and-coming stars themselves. Perhaps what we are seeing here for these Euros with many of the “unrated” teams, that for the first time, the so-called underdogs are no longer and the landscape is totally changing.

Howyoudoin
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howyoudoin » June 26th, 2024, 9:52 pm

Slovakia up next then for England instead of the Netherlands. Didn’t see that coming.

HYD

Bubblesofearth
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bubblesofearth » June 26th, 2024, 10:11 pm

nimnarb wrote:

I just want to see some exciting, technical, forward pressing motion from our lads, preferably in the right direction with accurate passing. Spain, Portugal, as examples. Is this possible?

Exciting stuff from Portugal this evening :lol:

BoE

nimnarb
Lemon Quarter

Postby nimnarb » June 26th, 2024, 10:39 pm

:lol: indeed.

Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Postby Leothebear » June 27th, 2024, 7:08 am

Howyoudoin wrote:Slovakia up next then for England instead of the Netherlands. Didn’t see that coming.

HYD

GS, if nothing else, sure is lucky with the draws.

marronier
Lemon Slice

Postby marronier » June 27th, 2024, 8:57 am

When were the group stages of any tournament finals ever about entertainment ? The ruling sentiment is don't risk losing until you've qualified. Only the small fry have to give it a go and sometimes provide a shock result.

I well remember , several years ago , the words of a manager , interviewed after a dreadfully boring 0-0 draw , "That may have been painful for the fans to watch but from a professional point of view ,it was technically perfect ".

Just accept it, England were technically perfect.

Bubblesofearth
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bubblesofearth » June 27th, 2024, 9:18 am

marronier wrote:When were the group stages of any tournament finals ever about entertainment ? The ruling sentiment is don't risk losing until you've qualified. Only the small fry have to give it a go and sometimes provide a shock result.

I well remember , several years ago , the words of a manager , interviewed after a dreadfully boring 0-0 draw , "That may have been painful for the fans to watch but from a professional point of view ,it was technically perfect ".

The whole structure of the 24 team tournament seems off to me. 36 games to eliminate just 8 teams then 15 knockout games. With the guarantee that most of the group games are always going to be far less exciting than the knockout ones.

IMO it would be better to start with 32 teams and either straight knockout or 8 groups of 4 with half the teams eliminated in the group stage.

BoE

simoan
Lemon Quarter

Postby simoan » June 27th, 2024, 9:23 am

Bubblesofearth wrote:
marronier wrote:When were the group stages of any tournament finals ever about entertainment ? The ruling sentiment is don't risk losing until you've qualified. Only the small fry have to give it a go and sometimes provide a shock result.

The whole structure of the 24 team tournament seems off to me. 36 games to eliminate just 8 teams then 15 knockout games. With the guarantee that most of the group games are always going to be far less exciting than the knockout ones.

IMO it would be better to start with 32 teams and either straight knockout or 8 groups of 4 with half the teams eliminated in the group stage.

BoE

Completely agree. It's the format that ensures the approach teams take to the group stage. When you can qualify for the knockouts with three draws UEFA get all they deserve for their greed.

Howyoudoin
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howyoudoin » June 27th, 2024, 12:42 pm

In the 2000s I followed England around the World for around 8 years as a member of EnglandFans, watching them play ‘technically perfect’ football without troubling the latter stages of tournaments.

I eventually realised that I was enjoying the trips far more than the match itself and rescinded my membership. For some reason it seems to be a nigh on impossible job to get a squad of very talented England players to play together as a team.

HYD

BigB
Lemon Slice

Postby BigB » June 27th, 2024, 3:01 pm

Howyoudoin wrote:

In the 2000s I followed England around the World for around 8 years as a member of EnglandFans, watching them play ‘technically perfect’ football without troubling the latter stages of tournaments.

I eventually realised that I was enjoying the trips far more than the match itself and rescinded my membership. For some reason it seems to be a nigh on impossible job to get a squad of very talented England players to play together as a team.

HYD

I've been watching England in/not_in major tournaments since 78. I'd say only on 3 occasions have they looked good and also done well - 86 Mexico, 90 Italia & Euro 96.

Since then we've had SGE in the 00s who did well in getting them to qualify routinely, and this last period with GS when he's made qualification and par (QF/SF) look routine. On paper GS has done very well, but with a handful of performances as exception, the football is very dull and uninspiring.

nimnarb
Lemon Quarter

Postby nimnarb » June 27th, 2024, 3:12 pm

Leothebear wrote:
Howyoudoin wrote:Slovakia up next then for England instead of the Netherlands. Didn’t see that coming.

HYD

GS, if nothing else, sure is lucky with the draws.

Avoided, Spain, France, Portugal, Belgium, Germany, Netherlands, Italy and wouldn't play any of them(or avoid most) until the finals. Is that right? If so, when was the last time we were in such a position?

Return to “Sports Bar (all sports)”