Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to smokey01,bungeejumper,stockton,Anonymous,bruncher, for Donating to support the site

The Euro 2024 Championship Thread

Please create a thread for your favourite topic.
terminal7
Lemon Quarter

Re: The Euro 2024 Championship Thread

Postby terminal7 » June 15th, 2024, 8:46 am

Heart warming to see Alex Salmond with whiskey and cigar.

T7

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gerry557 » June 15th, 2024, 9:45 am

Can I just point out that Scotland's loss was Westminster's fault. :lol:

Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Postby Leothebear » June 15th, 2024, 3:07 pm

Many Englishmen of a certain age who follow football will smile at the mere mention of "Ally's Tartan Army". Scotland have to be grateful that Iran aren't in their group this time...

"We drink beer and we drink wine,
We got f**ked in the Argentine"

marronier
Lemon Slice

Postby marronier » June 15th, 2024, 7:16 pm

I predict that at some moment during an England attack the commentator will say " That was a chance there ,but it came to him on his wrong foot..."

Eleven players in a team, 22 feet ,but barely a dozen effective. With a pair worth three times a singleton it means a one-footed player can only operate at a maximum efficiency of 33%.

Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Postby Leothebear » June 16th, 2024, 7:24 am

marronier wrote:I predict that at some moment during an England attack the commentator will say " That was a chance there ,but it came to him on his wrong foot..."

Eleven players in a team, 22 feet ,but barely a dozen effective. With a pair worth three times a singleton it means a one-footed player can only operate at a maximum efficiency of 33%.

I have always been astounded that so many pro footballers can only effectively use their favoured foot. Surely it only requires practice? If I were a coach I'd insist they did.

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gerry557 » June 16th, 2024, 8:31 am

"Marcin Oleksy wins Puskas prize for FIFA’s best goal of the year" and he could only use one leg. There was also Carl Joseph who could only use one leg but that was American football so maybe doesn't count.

Fortunately I was an equally footed footballer, I was rubbish with both :D

Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Postby Leothebear » June 16th, 2024, 12:04 pm

GS: "Right now lads you know the plan by now. Lot's of short passing, most of it pointless, in your own half, it frustrates the opposition and uses up time for them to score. Also some faffing about in your own area to keep the fans awake!. Slow and steady build up, it'll mean we're trying to open up a packed defence but you're used to that. This plan hasn't actually worked yet, but this time........"

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » June 16th, 2024, 1:32 pm

Leothebear wrote:
marronier wrote:I predict that at some moment during an England attack the commentator will say " That was a chance there ,but it came to him on his wrong foot..."

I have always been astounded that so many pro footballers can only effectively use their favoured foot. Surely it only requires practice? If I were a coach I'd insist they did.

Most professional footballers are two footed, but favour one. The lessor favoured mostly better than the favoured foot of a non-professional (less so with goalkeepers).

If I employed you as a coach you would soon be fired if that were your approach. The marginal improvement from increasing the poorer foot to the standard of the other would be much lower than other improvements you could make by coaching other deficiencies. How long would you take do you think to equalise them?

Most footballers put in a lot of practice on their weaker foot but accept it will never be as good. But a good player will be able to pass and collect with either foot, and use those skills to move the ball out of difficult game positions and territory where the opposition getting the ball is a real threat.

Dicky99
Lemon Slice

Postby Dicky99 » June 16th, 2024, 1:57 pm

GoSeigen wrote:
nimnarb wrote:Cringe time..again. Are you watching England? You are favourites to actually win this competition! Please don't make me suffer on Sunday any more than I need to. I had predicted 4-1 to Germany beforehand, but Scotland's performance was just atrocious.

Not sure a German defeat of the minnows in the competition signals very much... but never underestimate England's perennial ability to disappoint in the face of wholly unmerited expectations.

GS

The issue is when England disappoint in the face of merited expectation surely.
I'll plump for 3-1 tonight ;)

Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Postby Leothebear » June 16th, 2024, 2:28 pm

dealtn wrote:
Leothebear wrote:

Most professional footballers are two footed, but favour one. The lessor favoured mostly better than the favoured foot of a non-professional (less so with goalkeepers).

If I employed you as a coach you would soon be fired if that were your approach. The marginal improvement from increasing the poorer foot to the standard of the other would be much lower than other improvements you could make by coaching other deficiencies. How long would you take do you think to equalise them?

Most footballers put in a lot of practice on their weaker foot but accept it will never be as good. But a good player will be able to pass and collect with either foot, and use those skills to move the ball out of difficult game positions and territory where the opposition getting the ball is a real threat.

I'd expect an ambitious footballer to realise what an advantage it is to be genuinely two footed. Your assertion that most are, isn't very apparent on the pitch.

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » June 16th, 2024, 3:38 pm

Leothebear wrote:
dealtn wrote:

I'd expect an ambitious footballer to realise what an advantage it is to be genuinely two footed. Your assertion that most are, isn't very apparent on the pitch.

Only 4 of my current squad are internationals, but even the 8 others I would describe as competently two footed. We obviously see very different things when assessing the talent on the pitch. I don't particularly follow international representative football though, so of course you might be more of an expert on that than me, but it would be odd if those selected were less competent than their uncapped colleagues.

Oggy
Lemon Slice

Postby Oggy » June 16th, 2024, 4:48 pm

Total bore fest - much like the World Cup. A bunch of preening, cheating, overpaid yobs. I may still watch England though....go figure

nimnarb
Lemon Quarter

Postby nimnarb » June 16th, 2024, 5:00 pm

In order for me to have any confidence after watching so many miserable failures since 1966, I expect us to win by three goals, be it 3-0 or 5-2(based on the fact that supposedly, our defense is crap). As long as we score more than them, don't care... Look at our firepower up front! But it's the same old story, are we able to play as one, as a team, as a totally united front?

If this is a boring draw, will just throw up. If we lose, don't even ask what will happen? Mind you, only have to look at Iceland, not once but twice..oh, that doesn't count, cos it was a friendly the other day.

Right England.......Show me you all have a pair! 22 :lol: of them

nimnarb
Lemon Quarter

Postby nimnarb » June 16th, 2024, 5:06 pm

Forgot to include some info on the competition, which really is not a lot is it?(on paper)

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/se ... up-germany

terminal7
Lemon Quarter

Postby terminal7 » June 16th, 2024, 6:00 pm

Realise all small beer, but leading bookie* offering 100/1 England to new account holders. Max bet is £1 (what you expecting?) and minimum deposit £5 of which you can later withdraw the £4. You can then arbitrage on Betfair laying at 5.1 say at £5. This gives you a win/win of basically approx. £80/£4. Can't lose.

Just a bit of fun.

T7

*not mentioning name of bookies as probably against the site's code - a bit of googling will do the necessary.

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » June 16th, 2024, 6:19 pm

Well, at least Christian Eriksen is having a better Euros than last time!

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » June 16th, 2024, 8:24 pm

Cracking header from JB!

nimnarb
Lemon Quarter

Postby nimnarb » June 16th, 2024, 8:55 pm

monabri wrote:Cracking header from JB!

Perhaps, and yes a great goal, but It's just not good enough. This is not Spain, Germany, France, Portugal, etc....It's Serbia!!! Apart from Saka, it's the same as normal..sideways, backwards, cautious, boring. Need a J. Doku on the left with strong runs. What am I missing? We are lucky to be 1 up!

Hope the second half greatly improves.

the0ni0nking
Lemon Slice

Postby the0ni0nking » June 16th, 2024, 9:49 pm

nimnarb wrote:
Hope the second half greatly improves.

Errmmmm..... poor overstates it.

nimnarb
Lemon Quarter

Postby nimnarb » June 16th, 2024, 10:33 pm

grrrrr.

So what else is news? It's not coming home like this, we are. Some stats. 6 English players have scored more than 20 goals this season. First corner for England, not until the 67th minute. Why does Southgate always wait so long with the substitutions?
Kane looked tired but never count him out as a great save from the keeper, overall though, he was fairly quiet as was Foden, and why is it that he cannot accomplish what he does at City?

Bellingham saved our usual embarrassment, as they were all one big "Itch" and we couldn't totally scratch them off, but it's 3 points, the other two only managed 1 point between them, and we only need a draw to continue..so there is that. But as favourites, we sure have to greatly improve along the way, as on that performance, France would pulverize us, zee Germans would stamp on us (and without penalties) and based on Spain's last performance, we would also be lacking.

Yes, and wonderful to see Eriksen score for Denmark three years after collapsing on the pitch in the last Euros.

Return to “Sports Bar (all sports)”