Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to DrFfybes,smokey01,bungeejumper,stockton,Anonymous, for Donating to support the site

The Euro 2024 Championship Thread

Please create a thread for your favourite topic.
nimnarb
Lemon Quarter

Re: The Euro 2024 Championship Thread

Postby nimnarb » July 2nd, 2024, 1:41 am

What drama again today..France and Portugal both go through.......only just. Can't wait to see Portugal v France and the pretty one teach the masked one a lesson. Say what you like about Ronaldo, they still need him, and I just can't believe how many chances he had, and again, just wasn't his day, but that penalty save was fantastic, and yet he held his nerve and managed to score on his penalty slot again. Nerves of steel and judging by his emotion after the first save(a great penalty but an even better save,) those that don't call him a team player are ignorant. Regardless, thought Slovenia were outstanding and they could have won this.

Turning out to be quite the Championship. Really enjoying it. Particularly seeing these lesser known teams do so well. And it just occurred to me, I wonder how many scouts and managers plus owners from our divisions (more so our premiere league for obvious reasons) have spotted some real talent, splash out ridiculous money, and bring them over to Blighty.

simoan
Lemon Quarter

Postby simoan » July 2nd, 2024, 9:53 am

nimnarb wrote:Turning out to be quite the Championship. Really enjoying it. Particularly seeing these lesser known teams do so well. And it just occurred to me, I wonder how many scouts and managers plus owners from our divisions (more so our premiere league for obvious reasons) have spotted some real talent, splash out ridiculous money, and bring them over to Blighty.

I feel like you’re watching a different tournament to me. Perhaps I’ve missed all the great matches that weren’t dominated by spirited defences. Apart from Netherlands v Austria I can’t think of too many games I’ve enjoyed that much. Spain, Germany and Switzerland have been very good, but the other more fancied teams have been utter rubbish. As for scouts finding talent, I think you’d need to be very careful selecting someone based on playing out of their skin for their country over a few games compared to what you would get week in, week out for a whole season. There’s a reason why most of the players from the lesser teams play where they do. Scouting databases are so good these days that they would already have been found.

BigB
Lemon Slice

Postby BigB » July 2nd, 2024, 10:09 am

I quite enjoyed the Portugal Slovenia game last night.

Portugal spent most of the game trying to move the ball quickly and neatly and forward when possible, not shy of the wide guys trying to beat men (oh for a Waddle), particularly Jao Conceilo (sp?) on the right. Adopted some route one later which showed they considered different options. England haven't looked to move the ball that quickly or that forward, or really for individuals to beat players.

Slovenia were so disciplined in their defensive coaching and execution that the opposition were reduced to a couple of half chances, "crosses into the danger area", and a number of Ronaldo free kicks. Slovenia were also prepared to break quickly and directly when they got the chance. England don't defend with this will or discipline.

An enjoyable 0-0, with technicalities to appreciate on both sides. Portugal unlikely to get past QF or SF imo.

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » July 2nd, 2024, 10:50 am

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/foo ... 72215.html

"Misstiano Penaldo"...the BBC has a sense of humour!

Well, I thought it was funny even if John Terry didn't!

;)

nimnarb
Lemon Quarter

Postby nimnarb » July 2nd, 2024, 4:01 pm

"But the other more fancied teams have been utter rubbish."

They haven't been rubbish, well perhaps England and Scotland have been. :D Just that the competition was written off before they even started, which has not been the case, and things are changing.

nimnarb
Lemon Quarter

Postby nimnarb » July 2nd, 2024, 4:08 pm

monabri wrote:https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/misstiano-penaldo-bbc-cristiano-ronaldo-b2572215.html

"Misstiano Penaldo"...the BBC has a sense of humour!

Well, I thought it was funny even if John Terry didn't!

;)

Clever play on words...................can only imagine his own headlines as in "Terryble!". He understands more than most.

https://www.unitedinfocus.com/news/why- ... ue-defeat/

Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Postby Leothebear » July 2nd, 2024, 7:11 pm

Did anyone else notice that after taking a one goal lead the Netherlands continued attacking right to the end of the game? Gareth? Are you paying attention Gareth?

They also attacked at pace throughout the game. Gareth? Where's Gareth?

nimnarb
Lemon Quarter

Postby nimnarb » July 2nd, 2024, 9:58 pm

Anyone see Turkey v Austria? Game of the tournament. Save of the tournament, if not the decade. And that's how you play football, England. Even if you lose.

simoan
Lemon Quarter

Postby simoan » July 2nd, 2024, 10:19 pm

nimnarb wrote:Anyone see Turkey v Austria? Game of the tournament. Save of the tournament, if not the decade. And that's how you play football, England. Even if you lose.

Easily the best game I’ve seen. To be fair, I watched Austria play France, Netherlands and Turkey, and all were very good games. Strange that Rangnick never got a tune out of the players at Man United because he’s certainly got Austria playing great attacking football.

Return to “Sports Bar (all sports)”