Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to smokey01,bungeejumper,stockton,Anonymous,bruncher, for Donating to support the site

The Euro 2024 Championship Thread

Please create a thread for your favourite topic.
mike
Lemon Slice

Re: The Euro 2024 Championship Thread

Postby mike » June 27th, 2024, 3:28 pm

nimnarb wrote:
Leothebear wrote:
GS, if nothing else, sure is lucky with the draws.

Avoided, Spain, France, Portugal, Belgium, Germany, Netherlands, Italy and wouldn't play any of them(or avoid most) until the finals. Is that right? If so, when was the last time we were in such a position?

Not quite. If results go with the big names, then England would play Italy in the quarters and NL in the semis.

France vs Belgium, FIFA ranked 2 vs 3, is a last 16 clash on the other side of the draw.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/eu ... /schedule#

Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Postby Leothebear » June 27th, 2024, 9:10 pm

nimnarb wrote:
Leothebear wrote:
GS, if nothing else, sure is lucky with the draws.

Avoided, Spain, France, Portugal, Belgium, Germany, Netherlands, Italy and wouldn't play any of them(or avoid most) until the finals. Is that right? If so, when was the last time we were in such a position?

Sorry I can't be @rsed to look it up but I seem to remember out "successes" ie finalist (at home) in the Euros and semi finalists in the WC were both rather kind draws.

Basically whenever we face a good team we lose.

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » June 27th, 2024, 9:42 pm

Leothebear wrote:
nimnarb wrote:

Sorry I can't be @rsed to look it up but I seem to remember out "successes" ie finalist (at home) in the Euros and semi finalists in the WC were both rather kind draws.

It would have had to have been a kind draw to make the final at home in 1996, the last time we were hosts, as we lost to Germany in the semi-final. Maybe 2028 will be different.

2020, which you are obviously referring to, was a strange tournament held in strange times. A tournament designed to be hosted by 13 different countries taking place during a global pandemic with many covid travel and attendance restrictions. Some things remain the same though, England top the group unbeaten only scoring 2 goals in 1-0 victories, and Scotland bringing up the rear with only 1 point. That easy route to the final though meant beating Germany, Ukraine and Denmark to play Italy.

On the usual method of assessing teams results over 90 minutes England were unbeaten. So were Italy, Sweden, France and Spain.

(Not sure how you can claim your last sentence though which doesn't survive when examined by the facts).

Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Postby Leothebear » June 27th, 2024, 10:08 pm

dealtn wrote:
Leothebear wrote:

It would have had to have been a kind draw to make the final at home in 1996, the last time we were hosts, as we lost to Germany in the semi-final. Maybe 2028 will be different.

2020, which you are obviously referring to, was a strange tournament held in strange times. A tournament designed to be hosted by 13 different countries taking place during a global pandemic with many covid travel and attendance restrictions. Some things remain the same though, England top the group unbeaten only scoring 2 goals in 1-0 victories, and Scotland bringing up the rear with only 1 point. That easy route to the final though meant beating Germany, Ukraine and Denmark to play Italy.

On the usual method of assessing teams results over 90 minutes England were unbeaten. So were Italy, Sweden, France and Spain.

(Not sure how you can claim your last sentence though which doesn't survive when examined by the facts).

2020 Germany, for a change were not anywhere near their best. Ukraine and Denmark were less of a threat than Spain, Portugal, France and Italy.
The "Usual method of assessing teams" doesn't include extra time nor penalties? Both are part of tournament football, so what's the point of ignoring them?

Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Postby Leothebear » Yesterday, 11:08 am

The business starts tonight. The Danes would pull off a real shock if they won it, but I don't think they will. Germany for me - 2-0

nimnarb
Lemon Quarter

Postby nimnarb » Yesterday, 10:07 pm

Leothebear wrote:The business starts tonight. The Danes would pull off a real shock if they won it, but I don't think they will. Germany for me - 2-0

So far you are spot on but really, what bad luck for the Danes. Zee Germans again. I don't care what happens, but please Germany v England in the finals and lose on penalties would seriously give me a piles attack. We have seen this picture so many times over the years(feels like decades and actually it is). Italy(they are toast) last time on penalties was bad enough but Zee Germans..no, no, no..Spain, whoever, whip their sausages.

nimnarb
Lemon Quarter

Postby nimnarb » Yesterday, 10:36 pm

Could a bit of this be the surprise package along with some crackers.....?

https://sporked.com/article/best-swiss-cheese/

Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Postby Leothebear » Today, 8:08 am

I think England will get past Slovakia but they won't do the same with the Swiss, playing as they have done. I agree with Simoan, Foden and Bellingham do not combine well. GS needs to be brave and find the best team not just group the best players.

Return to “Sports Bar (all sports)”