Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to smokey01,bungeejumper,stockton,Anonymous,bruncher, for Donating to support the site

Labour intentions for pensions

Including Financial Independence and Retiring Early (FIRE)
redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Re: Labour intentions for pensions

Postby redsturgeon » June 16th, 2024, 12:56 pm

mc2fool wrote:
redsturgeon wrote:
Moderator Message:
Remember what board this is. Political point scoring is off topic here. Reporting actual Labour intentions is fine.

Ha ha ha! That's funny! The whole thread is speculations about what Labour could do. If it was just reporting actual Labour intentions it'd be very short indeed! :D

Yes that is the problem... :D

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Postby moorfield » June 16th, 2024, 2:04 pm

airbus330 wrote:Its getting like whack-a-mole with the big tax hike mystery.
So, yesterday, Starmer has put a 'never' on record for CGT on Primary Residences.

I'm afraid I don't believe a word re their tax plans (or anyone's actually). If they have to be, I expect Income NI VAT will be raised during the next parliament, and weasel words will be found. A "supermajority" only increases the number of seats they can "spend" in 2029 breaking that promise. That the Tory opposition will likely be a navel-gazeing mess for the next 5 years makes that political calculation a little easier.

"Working people" is code for "not pensioners" imo, I fully expect pension reliefs and incomes are being looked at. That is my worry as my own plans are targeted at drawdown from 2030 onwards. I can see a few possibilities

-levying NI on everyone under state pension age (66-67) regardless of income source, ie. 55-57+ year olds drawing down early from SIPPs
-what was the tax free lump sum is now just another threshold (£268,275) that can be trimmed to squeeze out more income tax. (£250,000 anyone, for starters?)
-flat rate pension reliefs, again to squeeze out more income tax out of higher earners

My own plans originally targeted a pension size of ~£1,073,100 throwing off a natural yield income of ~£50,270 (4.7% yield) and tracking RPI thereafter, keeping the capital in the tank for very old age/illness and my estate. That's about as tax-efficient as a SIPP can be, I figured. I'm close to that already and may now stop pension contributions altogether from next year. Lady M's SIPP and VCTs may be the next port of call, assuming those reliefs remain.

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Postby moorfield » June 16th, 2024, 2:36 pm

moorfield wrote: (*) I'm close to that already and may now stop pension contributions altogether from next year.

Which illustrates another point I forgot to add:

Labour may be promising not to increase income tax on "working people", but that does not necessarily mean "working people" will not pay more income tax. (I think I've got that double negative right...)

Return to “Retirement Investing (inc FIRE)”