Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to smokey01,bungeejumper,stockton,Anonymous,bruncher, for Donating to support the site

How far off am I.

Including Financial Independence and Retiring Early (FIRE)
banjocountry

Re: How far off am I.

Postby banjocountry » June 18th, 2024, 12:26 pm

kempiejon wrote: Do you love your job, get a kick out of what you do and the people you see at the office.
Did you cash in your ISA to buy the house? You have £200k unsheltered cash and have zero in the ISA. That looks like a misuse of your cash tax shelter.

Not a fan of my job. Was looking forward to the finish line of stopping but feel like the rug was pulled from me at the last minute :( . It was a compromise on my side. The other half really wanted to move and if we didn't do it now we would have never done it.

In terms of cash it's in the offset account for the new house mortgage. I don't pay mortgage interest on this and essentially use this as a buffer for me to draw down on if needed.

banjocountry

Re: How far off am I.

Postby banjocountry » June 18th, 2024, 12:36 pm

DrFfybes wrote:
kempiejon wrote:Did you cash in your ISA to buy the house? You have £200k unsheltered cash and have zero in the ISA. That looks like a misuse of your cash tax shelter.

My first thought as well, although their thinking might have been swayed if they have another Offset mortgage.

My second observation is "given the last 12 months' general market performance how did the pension manage to drop in value?"

You are stating a nearly 30% increase in BTL equity, although this figures does seem t bounce up and down a lot. Is this a result of paying down the loans, or have property values behaved very differently in this area to ours? Also is this Net of CGT? As the allowances are now virtually Nil then you could be paying 28% (under the Current Govt's rules!!!) so need to look closely at that.

In response:

Yes cash is in an offset mortgage.

The pension dropped in value as I managed to remove about £81k in funds which I used to contribute towards the new house purchase. Complex but at high level it's a SSAS pension with a commercial property in it linked to a Limited Co.

BTL increase is also down to purchasing another property (eek). I sold the old house I lived in to my property company. Gives me an option to move back if I missed the place too much (lol).

The amounts don't include CGT and are on current market value. I'd have a lot less if I put the values after CGT.

Return to “Retirement Investing (inc FIRE)”