Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to smokey01,bungeejumper,stockton,Anonymous,bruncher, for Donating to support the site

To cut or not to cut

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
stewamax
Lemon Quarter

To cut or not to cut

Postby stewamax » June 22nd, 2024, 11:08 am

My BBC News app today (Saturday) tells me that “Penis cancer cases increasing: Brazil sees 6500 amputations in a decade” and that “… it is almost unheard of in the circumcised population”.
The five Nordic countries are united in currently unsuccessful moves to ban circumcision of male children for non-medical reasons, but the BBC article made me wonder whether reducing the risk of a future illness would qualify as a sufficient medical reason, albeit that the risk of penile cancer is low.

88V8
Lemon Half

Re: To cut or not to cut

Postby 88V8 » June 23rd, 2024, 10:02 am

stewamax wrote:....made me wonder whether reducing the risk of a future illness would qualify as a sufficient medical reason, albeit that the risk of penile cancer is low.

Perhaps if it's heritable, like breast cancer. Sometimes a precautionary mastectomy.
Pretty extreme though.
650 a year in a large population is pretty minimal.
Sounds more like a Beeb drone with column inches to fill.

V8

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » June 23rd, 2024, 10:27 am

88V8 wrote:
stewamax wrote:....made me wonder whether reducing the risk of a future illness would qualify as a sufficient medical reason, albeit that the risk of penile cancer is low.

Perhaps if it's heritable, like breast cancer. Sometimes a precautionary mastectomy.
Pretty extreme though.
650 a year in a large population is pretty minimal.
Sounds more like a Beeb drone with column inches to fill.

V8

Begs questions like whether the rise is real or an artifact of better reporting/recording, or simply longer lives. And, much more to the point, how does it compare to the numbers seriously damaged by genital mutilation, which could be orders-of-magnitude higher measured as a proportion of population size?

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Postby stewamax » June 23rd, 2024, 4:30 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:... how does it compare to the numbers seriously damaged by genital mutilation, which could be orders-of-magnitude higher measured as a proportion of population size?

No idea, but the abhorrent practice of female genital mutilation is not claimed to have any medical benefit, although most women in countries where FGM is the norm, such as Somalia, believe it is mandated by their religion.

I did once see an interview with a man (from Egypt I think) who justified FGM on the grounds that clitorises could grow long enough to be an impediment when walking! and I feel sure that the Nordic countries are unlikely to be swayed by this argument to decriminalise FGM.

It hadn't perhaps occurred to the man concerned that males manage to walk unimpeded with a (presumably) much larger appendage,

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”