Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to smokey01,bungeejumper,stockton,Anonymous,bruncher, for Donating to support the site

How scary is this?

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
NomoneyNohoney
Lemon Slice

How scary is this?

Postby NomoneyNohoney » June 8th, 2024, 3:49 am

https://www.cbsnews.com/pittsburgh/news ... NR-02-0623

I'm waiting for the explanation that must surely follow.

terminal7
Lemon Quarter

Re: How scary is this?

Postby terminal7 » June 8th, 2024, 8:28 am

A family man in Pittsburgh was arrested after trying to hold up the local bank and threatening a bank clerk with a banana.

T7

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Postby stewamax » June 8th, 2024, 10:47 am

Gracious - this would violate the Second Amendment that allows 3-year-olds to bear arms.
With financial assistance from the NRA, I can see the school being sued for $$megabucks and the Principal fired.
Plus more $$megabucks for the psychological damage to poor child whose rights were infringed and planned career in the military irreparably vitiated.
And what about the parents' and possibly even grandparents' emotional distress?

Long Live the Constitution in the Land of the Free and the Home of the Brave...

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » June 8th, 2024, 12:18 pm

NomoneyNohoney wrote:https://www.cbsnews.com/pittsburgh/news/loaded-gun-students-lunch-bag-pittsburgh-morrow-pre-k-school/?intcid=CNR-02-0623

I'm waiting for the explanation that must surely follow.

I still remember the father who had a rifle specially custom-made for his young son. Young son whoops with delight and in his excitement, promptly shoots his little sister dead! :roll:

Steve

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » June 9th, 2024, 11:02 am

stevensfo wrote:I still remember the father who had a rifle specially custom-made for his young son. Young son whoops with delight and in his excitement, promptly shoots his little sister dead! :roll:

I've tried, and failed, to understand why some parents give their sprogs guns without much thought. A (former) friend had a teenage son who displayed every kind of antisocial trait - nasty, devious, threatening and occasionally violent. He'd already been dismissed from one job on night security at a building site. So when she gave him a rifle for his 18th birthday, we took a deep breath.

He got fired from another job as a nightclub bouncer, then from another security job, and then it got worse as he slid into bad company and eventually violent criminality. At some point, I don't know how, he was eventually strong-armed into giving up his weapon. We never found out whether he bought another one, though. Which was only slightly less unsettling. :(

BJ

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » June 9th, 2024, 12:27 pm

bungeejumper wrote:
stevensfo wrote:I still remember the father who had a rifle specially custom-made for his young son. Young son whoops with delight and in his excitement, promptly shoots his little sister dead! :roll:

I've tried, and failed, to understand why some parents give their sprogs guns without much thought. A (former) friend had a teenage son who displayed every kind of antisocial trait - nasty, devious, threatening and occasionally violent. He'd already been dismissed from one job on night security at a building site. So when she gave him a rifle for his 18th birthday, we took a deep breath.

He got fired from another job as a nightclub bouncer, then from another security job, and then it got worse as he slid into bad company and eventually violent criminality. At some point, I don't know how, he was eventually strong-armed into giving up his weapon. We never found out whether he bought another one, though. Which was only slightly less unsettling. :(

BJ

When I was about 15, I stayed with my aunt and uncle for a week and my uncle lent me his air rifle. They had a huge garden with horses and a field at the bottom. I shot two small birds who were sitting in tree, harming nobody. I actually watched the second one die on the ground. Despite my spotty face and teenage brain, the sense of shame and disgust I felt made me swear that I'd never do that again! :geek: ** I also wondered what on earth my Biology teacher would have said!

Fast forward and I wanted very much to join the local shooting club when we moved abroad. But I didn't. Our kids were still very young and I knew how they see everything and couldn't bear to think of the worst case scenario.

However, I did have some air pistols and air rifles and taught them how to handle the guns safely. We shot at paper targets on the garage wall. All pellets were locked away in a cash box!! We had some Danish friends who also did this, so we all had a great time. Their eldest was in the military and the kids learned all the dos and don'ts about handling firearms. e.g. even if it's a plastic toy, you keep it pointing down and unloaded. The only exception was water pistols. ;)

After a few years, they realised that shooting at a target wasn't what they really wanted.

These days, they are totally uninterested, which is fine with me.

I will never understand the Americans!

Steve

** For rats, T&Cs apply! ;)

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » June 10th, 2024, 8:20 pm

bungeejumper wrote:I've tried, and failed, to understand why some parents give their sprogs guns without much thought. A (former) friend had a teenage son who displayed every kind of antisocial trait - nasty, devious, threatening and occasionally violent. He'd already been dismissed from one job on night security at a building site. So when she gave him a rifle for his 18th birthday, we took a deep breath.

BJ

Meanwhile we have a promise from one demographic to take a bunch of people that will be hugely disgruntled about being forced to do something they really REALLY don't want to do, and then give them a gun!

(Boring bit: yes, I don't suppose they WILL be given an armed military position.... obviously. I mean, what sort of IDIOT would EVER do ANYTHING stooopid when a PM?)

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”