Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to smokey01,bungeejumper,stockton,Anonymous,bruncher, for Donating to support the site

Did you ever see such a thing?

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » May 19th, 2024, 12:14 pm

Had our old sewing machine repaired after the PCB blew up and caught fire. I say 'our', but you know what I mean.

Anyway, time to pay for it.
This is the payments page.
You see how you have to make up the amount.

V8

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Re: Did you ever see such a thing?

Postby ReformedCharacter » May 19th, 2024, 12:24 pm

88V8 wrote:Had our old sewing machine repaired after the PCB blew up and caught fire. I say 'our', but you know what I mean.

V8

You should be grateful that they used cookies to make your experience better :)

RC

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » May 19th, 2024, 12:42 pm

ReformedCharacter wrote:
88V8 wrote:Had our old sewing machine repaired after the PCB blew up and caught fire. I say 'our', but you know what I mean.

V8

You should be grateful that they used cookies to make your experience better :)

RC

Imagine if they hadn't!?

Have to say I've seen worse - not much worse, but worse (assuming it works that is!?)

And PCB is a funny way to spell treadle ;)

Rhyd6
Lemon Quarter

Postby Rhyd6 » May 19th, 2024, 5:05 pm

After looking at your post all I can say is thank goodness for the little man on a small trading estate who mends all types and makes of sewing and knitting machines at an extremely competitive price. When you take machine in, he looks at it then tells you exactly how much it will cost to fix it.
R6

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » May 19th, 2024, 6:45 pm

It worked. At least, I paid them. They got an extra 5p, as there is no 5p in the shopping list.

The machine, a Husqvarna, is not that old, as I would reckon old. No treadle. Perhaps fifteen years, don't recall. But in the world of sewing machines it is obsolete, so the Husqvarna retail/repair shops tell me.

This is odd, as on eBay, one finds much older machines of this make, 60 years and more, with high asking prices. They are cracked up to be a bit of a Rolls-Royce, perhaps there is a halo effect divorced from reality.

Being unwilling to scrap the machine, I started rummaging on't web, and I found Singer Machines in Whitley Bay via their US arm where I was looking to see if I could find a replacement power PCB.They sent a courier to collect the machine after I'd packed it. and will send it back, all for £20 both ways. The packing was a faff, it's heavy and quite large, I raided my eBay packaging stores and used two triple-wall boxes inside one another and a load of bubble and some of those horrible poly chips that I'm always happy to get rid of, but they return the machine in the same packing so I fear that the poly will reappear.

The actual repair at £76.55 was peanuts, relatively.

After shipping, one communicates directly with the shop floor who send untitled emails that wind up in the junk folder. I sent the machine on the 7th, by the 16th it was repaired after two retail/repair shops had told me it was impossible.

Altogether the experience has been a refreshing antidote to slick.

V8

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » May 20th, 2024, 12:57 am

88V8 wrote:It worked. At least, I paid them. They got an extra 5p, as there is no 5p in the shopping list.

The machine, a Husqvarna, is not that old, as I would reckon old. No treadle. Perhaps fifteen years, don't recall. But in the world of sewing machines it is obsolete, so the Husqvarna retail/repair shops tell me.

This is odd, as on eBay, one finds much older machines of this make, 60 years and more, with high asking prices. They are cracked up to be a bit of a Rolls-Royce, perhaps there is a halo effect divorced from reality.

Being unwilling to scrap the machine, I started rummaging on't web, and I found Singer Machines in Whitley Bay via their US arm where I was looking to see if I could find a replacement power PCB.They sent a courier to collect the machine after I'd packed it. and will send it back, all for £20 both ways. The packing was a faff, it's heavy and quite large, I raided my eBay packaging stores and used two triple-wall boxes inside one another and a load of bubble and some of those horrible poly chips that I'm always happy to get rid of, but they return the machine in the same packing so I fear that the poly will reappear.

The actual repair at £76.55 was peanuts, relatively.

After shipping, one communicates directly with the shop floor who send untitled emails that wind up in the junk folder. I sent the machine on the 7th, by the 16th it was repaired after two retail/repair shops had told me it was impossible.

Altogether the experience has been a refreshing antidote to slick.

V8

Surely the fact you're getting bits from Singer explains why your Husqi isn't really - its an MG3 vs an MGB :(

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”