Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to smokey01,bungeejumper,stockton,Anonymous,bruncher, for Donating to support the site

Dua Lipa

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Dua Lipa

Postby Leothebear » June 28th, 2024, 11:24 pm

I was intrigued to see Dua Lipa so I've been viewing her Glastonbury gig on BBC this evening.

Well the crowd seemed to adore her. Then the crowd at Glastonbury seem easily pleased I seem to think.

My conclusion - she's nothing special. Yet she's somehow a superstar. I'm out of sync I suppose. I judge female singers' live shows with those of the late Tina Turner and maybe that's being unrealistic.

simoan
Lemon Quarter

Re: Dua Lipa

Postby simoan » June 28th, 2024, 11:38 pm

Leothebear wrote:I was intrigued to see Dua Lipa so I've been viewing her Glastonbury gig on BBC this evening.

Well the crowd seemed to adore her. Then the crowd at Glastonbury seem easily pleased I seem to think.

My conclusion - she's nothing special. Yet she's somehow a superstar. I'm out of sync I suppose. I judge female singers' live shows with those of the late Tina Turner and maybe that's being unrealistic.

You mean you missed Idles for that tosh. Unbelievable. Idles wrecked the joint. Worth seeing.

Beerpig
Lemon Slice

Postby Beerpig » June 29th, 2024, 7:19 am

I'm with you, Leo.
Pretty average stuff imv - maybe the crowd were carried away simply by being at the event.
All a bit emperor's new clothes for me - I cant imagine anyone waking up this morning humming any of those songs/tunes.
She'll be forgotten in a couple of years.

Tedx
Lemon Quarter

Postby Tedx » June 29th, 2024, 7:47 am

Well I quite enjoyed her performance.....but agreed, she's no Glasto headliner.

Apparently, Glastonbury's problem is there shunning of corporate cash. Would the likes of Taylor Swift have come if Coke were will to shovel millions into her bank account?

y0rkiebar
2 Lemon pips

Postby y0rkiebar » June 29th, 2024, 8:26 am

I watched a couple of minutes of her set, pretty poor and seemed to be lip syncing.

simoan
Lemon Quarter

Postby simoan » June 29th, 2024, 9:19 am

y0rkiebar wrote:I watched a couple of minutes of her set, pretty poor and seemed to be lip syncing.

You have to give her some credit. She can sing, she can dance, and she writes most of her own songs. But basically it’s music for people that don’t like music - safe, bland and formulaic. There’s so much more interesting music at Glastonbury to be discovered I don’t truly understand what you gain by watching the headline acts.

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » June 29th, 2024, 9:59 am

We tried to watch Idles, but didn't gel, so turned over.

We've never paid much attention to DL, she was warming up, getting the crowd going, strutting the stage with confidence and presence. Then she started singing. We lasted about 5 seconds before turning the telly off and going to bed.

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » June 29th, 2024, 9:59 am

simoan wrote:There’s so much more interesting music at Glastonbury to be discovered I don’t truly understand what you gain by watching the headline acts.

I've not been to a large format camping festival for 20 years but SO and a gang go to several every year. They do pick a few main stage activities but that's not the focus. Remember the tickets sell out before the line up is announced. Even so some people think the festival is a concert and they've bought tickets to see the line up. For others, Glastonbury is a great archetype of festivals where you just go for the experience, the pyramid stage is ancillary to the whole experience. Yes there's plenty of interesting music but it's not just music, the performance and spectacle is all around.
I like to see the odd performance on the TV but it pales compared to experience.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » June 29th, 2024, 10:21 am

simoan wrote:
y0rkiebar wrote:I watched a couple of minutes of her set, pretty poor and seemed to be lip syncing.

You have to give her some credit. She can sing, she can dance, and she writes most of her own songs. But basically it’s music for people that don’t like music - safe, bland and formulaic.

Ha, I watched an Albert Hall concert by somebody called Raye the other week. Apparently she's quite popular. :)

Never have I heard an autotune working so hard - she'd probably have been booed off the stage without it. But she did seem to have some sort of a stage presence - she spent much of the concert just wandering around the stage, nodding her head at the vibe from her (much better) backing musicians. A bit like Linda McCartney did at a Wings concert I once saw, except that L was absent-mindedly banging a tambourine as she wandered about.

Nothing much changes, then. Except that L had to bang her own tambourine, and in time with the music as well. (Shock, horror.) Nowadays the technology would have dealt with all that burdensome stuff. :|

BJ

doug2500
Lemon Slice

Postby doug2500 » June 30th, 2024, 2:12 pm

I was disappointed in her too, but she got better once she stopped dancing about as much and sang. It was like the vocals were muted (to hide them?) and it was all performance rather than music.

Coldplay on the other hand impressed me a lot and I'm not a fan. The music was up front and center. She could learn a lot from them because I think she does have talent, stop performing as much and sing.....

Beerpig
Lemon Slice

Postby Beerpig » June 30th, 2024, 8:39 pm

Shania Twain was a class act.
Sang live.
Brilliant.
Dua could learn from her.
Mind you, Twain has been around as a class act for 25 years.
Cant see Due Lipa last more than two.

dionaeamuscipula
Lemon Quarter

Postby dionaeamuscipula » June 30th, 2024, 10:49 pm

Beerpig wrote:Shania Twain was a class act.
Sang live.
Brilliant.
Dua could learn from her.
Mind you, Twain has been around as a class act for 25 years.
Cant see Due Lipa last more than two.

Well she's been around for 7 years so far....

DM

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”