Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to smokey01,bungeejumper,stockton,Anonymous,bruncher, for Donating to support the site

Audiophile Fuses

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Re: Audiophile Fuses

Postby kiloran » May 28th, 2024, 3:16 pm

Lootman wrote:
kiloran wrote:Well, yes, that makes sense, Why spend time and effort making a 13A fuse, when you can buy them ready-made, chant a magic incantation to give them stupendous properties and then resell for thousands. Makes good commercial sense.

All these folks here taking jfgw seriously must have missed his signoff giveaway . . .

"Off now to oil my snakes".

He's having a laugh innit?

You've only just twigged ? You think my comments are serious????? ;)

--kiloran

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » May 28th, 2024, 3:18 pm

kiloran wrote:
Lootman wrote:All these folks here taking jfgw seriously must have missed his signoff giveaway . . .

"Off now to oil my snakes".

He's having a laugh innit?

You've only just twigged ? You think my comments are serious????? ;)

No, I noted that he was having a bubble way upthread.

Although a few did seem to fall for it.

jfgw
Lemon Quarter

Postby jfgw » May 28th, 2024, 3:43 pm

I was expecting someone to notice the similarity between the Quantum Science fuse and the fake Bussmann fuse in the second photo. (I'm sure you did, but didn't comment on it.) While it is not possible to draw any definite conclusion just from the photos, they do look remarkably similar.

If you follow the link after the second photo and scroll down, you can see a video showing what can happen to a fake fuse when there is a short-circuit, https://www.futureshop.co.uk/quantum-science-audio-red-high-level-uk-mains-fuse.

Julian F. G. W.

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » May 28th, 2024, 4:28 pm

Lootman wrote:
kiloran wrote:You've only just twigged ? You think my comments are serious????? ;)

No, I noted that he was having a bubble way upthread.

Fell for what? jfgw's OP was very clearly disbelieving and taking the p even without the snake oil comment at the end, but "audiophile fuses" (while totally new to me) it seems are definitely a thing, and there appears to be a fair number of people saying they make a difference -- although I can't imagine ever being convinced to even try a £10 one! :shock:

https://www.google.com/search?q=audiophile+fuses

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » May 29th, 2024, 12:01 am

mc2fool wrote:
Lootman wrote:No, I noted that he was having a bubble way upthread.

Fell for what? jfgw's OP was very clearly disbelieving and taking the p even without the snake oil comment at the end, but "audiophile fuses" (while totally new to me) it seems are definitely a thing, and there appears to be a fair number of people saying they make a difference -- although I can't imagine ever being convinced to even try a £10 one! :shock:

Holy Smoke Batman!

Surely it must be illegal to try and dupe folk like this?

It's bad enough charging them over the odds for interconnects because they can't solder, and their only gauge of a cable is how much they spend on it, but this is a whole other ball game (and yes some cable is worth it - Mogami especially)
I guess some of it sounds plausible enough and I've seen Americans use stuff like https://wireworldcable.com/products/power-cord-adapters because it can help when there's noise (and not just in audio) - but dicking about with the power in the wrong place when you don't know what you are doing can hurt badly
- I'm stuck somewhere between wanting to take the p*** out them and worried because they might one day want to use scissors

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » May 29th, 2024, 12:33 am

servodude wrote:
mc2fool wrote:Fell for what? jfgw's OP was very clearly disbelieving and taking the p even without the snake oil comment at the end, but "audiophile fuses" (while totally new to me) it seems are definitely a thing, and there appears to be a fair number of people saying they make a difference -- although I can't imagine ever being convinced to even try a £10 one! :shock:

Holy Smoke Batman!

It's bad enough charging them over the odds for interconnects because they can't solder, and their only gauge of a cable is how much they spend on it, but this is a whole other ball game (and yes some cable is worth it - Mogami especially)
I guess some of it sounds plausible enough and I've seen Americans use stuff like https://wireworldcable.com/products/power-cord-adapters because it can help when there's noise (and not just in audio) - but dicking about with the power in the wrong place when you don't know what you are doing can hurt badly
- I'm stuck somewhere between wanting to take the p*** out them and worried because they might one day want to use scissors

"Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people audiophiles." ;)

I'm just gobsmacked at the number of people saying these fuses actually gave them a noticeable improvement. Sure, it's the internet so there's always going to be some saying anything, but some appear to be sane professionals..... :?

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » May 29th, 2024, 12:38 am

mc2fool wrote:
servodude wrote:Holy Smoke Batman!

"Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people audiophiles." ;)

I'm just gobsmacked at the number of people saying these fuses actually gave them a noticeable improvement. Sure, it's the internet so there's always going to be some saying anything, but some appear to be sane professionals..... :?

someone should tell em to move somewhere they don't put fuses in plugs ;)

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » May 29th, 2024, 12:43 am

servodude wrote:
mc2fool wrote:"Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people audiophiles." ;)

If you read some of the reports some people did that, removed the fuses and soldered a fat wire in instead -- and claim it gave a significant improvement .... !

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » May 29th, 2024, 1:07 am

mc2fool wrote:
servodude wrote:someone should tell em to move somewhere they don't put fuses in plugs ;)

If you read some of the reports some people did that, removed the fuses and soldered a fat wire in instead -- and claim it gave a significant improvement .... !

yes.. well.. it would... obviously

and while I'm here...
jfgw wrote:Only if the fuse is in the earth.

Christ yes my brain was farting there and conflating the two stupid things (lets call him) Colin (because that's what he was called) did in the same mixing console plug - shorted the fuse and removed the ground connection

..and I've reminded myself to buy a socket tester

jfgw
Lemon Quarter

Postby jfgw » May 29th, 2024, 8:50 am

servodude wrote:someone should tell em to move somewhere they don't put fuses in plugs

They could install radial circuits for the HiFi components. A separate supply to each 5A socket and a 15A socket for the amplifier should cost enough to improve the sound quality, especially if 6mm^2 cable is used (or thicker if it fits the socket terminals).

The downside is that their £25,475. mains cable wouldn't fit https://www.futureshop.co.uk/nordost-odin-2-uk-mains-power-cable-with-qsa-silver-fuse.

Julian F. G. W.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » May 29th, 2024, 9:05 am

servodude wrote:
mc2fool wrote:"Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people audiophiles." ;)

I seem to recall that American plugs do not have fuses in them. My response was to always connect appliances via an extension cord that was fused.

Then again most American homes seem to have ground-fault circuit interrupters rather than fuses anyway. Fuses are so 1970s :D

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » May 29th, 2024, 9:36 am

jfgw wrote:The downside is that their £25,475. mains cable wouldn't fit https://www.futureshop.co.uk/nordost-odin-2-uk-mains-power-cable-with-qsa-silver-fuse.

Julian F. G. W.

And it might not be long enough, at only 1.25m. If you need a 5m cable, it's......£46,175. Not too bad considering they offer a free burn-in service for the cable:
When cables undergo burn-in, the trapped gasses are dissipated, and small impurities in the conductor metals begin to exhibit diode-like behaviour, favouring current flow in a specific direction.
Diode-like behaviour in a mains cable?
And demand for the service does seem to be high:
While we strive to fulfil all burn-in requests for the specified time periods, please understand that during exceptionally busy periods, we may be unable to meet the demand due to limited connections on the Nordost Vidar cable conditioning machines

I don't know whether to laugh, or cry that there will be some people who fall for all this.

--kiloran

doolally
Lemon Slice

Postby doolally » May 29th, 2024, 9:52 am

From their website:
The exceptional electrical and mechanical characteristics of this cable produce an overwhelming effect

.......on your bank balance
doolally

dionaeamuscipula
Lemon Quarter

Postby dionaeamuscipula » May 29th, 2024, 10:17 am

I can't understand this obsession with fuses and copper. I've replaced all my power cables with optical fibre.

DM

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » May 29th, 2024, 12:36 pm

And all this of course only matters if the electricity actually flows in the wires and in the fuse.

Which it appears not to!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oI_X2cM ... Veritasium

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » May 29th, 2024, 12:48 pm

kiloran wrote:
jfgw wrote:The downside is that their £25,475. mains cable wouldn't fit https://www.futureshop.co.uk/nordost-odin-2-uk-mains-power-cable-with-qsa-silver-fuse.

Julian F. G. W.

And it might not be long enough, at only 1.25m. If you need a 5m cable, it's......£46,175. Not too bad considering they offer a free burn-in service for the cable:
When cables undergo burn-in, the trapped gasses are dissipated, and small impurities in the conductor metals begin to exhibit diode-like behaviour, favouring current flow in a specific direction.
Diode-like behaviour in a mains cable?

Must be so that it rectifies any problem ;)

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”