Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to smokey01,bungeejumper,stockton,Anonymous,bruncher, for Donating to support the site

PO Scandal

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Re: PO Scandal

Postby stewamax » June 20th, 2024, 6:34 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:...(security team ... financial investigator ... how could he have been unaware of document change control logging)?

I think this is the first time in the enquiry that a 'live' document, i.e. a Word document displayed by running Word live, has been used. Ward was first shown a snap-shot - a .pdf perhaps - to lure him into a false sense of complacency, and then the live one. Boom!

vandefrosty
Lemon Pip

Postby vandefrosty » June 20th, 2024, 8:08 pm

This is the Guardian's reporting on today's evidence. It baffles me that they make no mention at all of Mr Ward's denial in February, under oath, of making the deletion which he acknowledged today.

I watched a YouTube replay of his evidence. Compelling viewing. I'm stunned that Mr Ward did not avail himself of the opportunity to avoid self incrimination when he was reminded of his right to do so at the outset. And I particularly enjoyed - what I imagined to be, but surely misinterpreted(!) - a suppressed smirk from Sir Wyn Williams at the conclusion of Mr Beer's questioning.

Essentially, Mr Ward is now on the record as testifying:
"On the basis of what you showed today, I accept that you have proved I did the unconscionable thing that I denied doing the first time you asked me about it. But I still deny your assertion that I did it for the reasons that I wrote down when I did the thing I originally said I didn't."

Thoroughly thoroughly disgraceful.

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Postby stewamax » June 21st, 2024, 10:22 am

In the afternoon following Graham Ward's forced mea culpa, Dr Kay Linnell - forensic accountant and advisor to the Justice for Sub-postmasters Alliance - put the boot into PO coldly, directly and in a way only rivalled by Lord Arbuthnot.
An epitome of conciseness and clarity, and well worth a look (on YouTube).

oldapple
2 Lemon pips

Postby oldapple » June 21st, 2024, 7:50 pm

Almost comedy today courtesy of George Thomson, former general secretary of the National Federation of sub postmasters. At one point he described Paula Vennel’s performance as a ‘car crash’, totally oblivious that his own was of earthquake proportions (audible laughter from audience). Sir Wynn’s comment on learning about unforeseen glitches was much appreciated.

https://youtu.be/7hu9_BeiKs0?si=6cbhllQPGQkYUa_z

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Postby stewamax » June 21st, 2024, 9:43 pm

oldapple wrote:Sir Wynn’s comment on learning about unforeseen glitches was much appreciated.

Indeed. The quick and dry repartee between Sir Wyn and the counsel - especially with Jason Beer - is a delight to hear.
And particularly today when set against the loud macho bluster of George Thompson who was a caricature of the stereotype militant trade union official of the 1970s.
My sympathy was with the stenographers who had to transcribe his repetitive monologues that were delivered in what sounded like a grating Glaswegian accent.

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gerry557 » June 22nd, 2024, 6:49 am

stewamax wrote:In the afternoon following Graham Ward's forced mea culpa, Dr Kay Linnell - forensic accountant and advisor to the Justice for Sub-postmasters Alliance - put the boot into PO coldly, directly and in a way only rivalled by Lord Arbuthnot.

Do you have a link as I am struggling to find it.

Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Postby Leothebear » June 22nd, 2024, 7:43 am

Gerry557 wrote:
stewamax wrote:In the afternoon following Graham Ward's forced mea culpa, Dr Kay Linnell - forensic accountant and advisor to the Justice for Sub-postmasters Alliance - put the boot into PO coldly, directly and in a way only rivalled by Lord Arbuthnot.

Me too.

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » June 22nd, 2024, 9:24 am

Leothebear wrote:
Gerry557 wrote:

Me too.

Kay Linnell - Day 154 PM (20 June 2024) - Post Office Horizon IT Inquiry:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2nyU9hryC4

RC

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gerry557 » June 22nd, 2024, 11:23 am

Graham Ward's forced mea culpa.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIa3mn9dQyI

Starts just after 24 min then kicks in around 27 min

It must go on for at least 20 min or so I've not finished it yet.

The other link is probably worth a look too so thanks for that.

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Postby stewamax » June 24th, 2024, 6:12 pm

Tomorrow Tuesday for four days we have the long awaited Gareth Jenkins - the ultimate Horizon techo - who (it appears) was not briefed about the role of 'expert witness'. He did not disclose everything he knew about Horizon faults and features (that there was a remote access 'backdoor', for example), and this omission allowed some sub-postmasters to be gaoled when such disclosure could have saved them.

He has clearly perjured himself, but those - lawyers rather than bosses - who leant on him to 'soften' his statements to the various criminal trials are equally guilty.

It will be fascinating to see what the Inquiry counsel plan of action is: to tear him apart from the outset or to go less hard on someone who some feel is a scapegoat thrown to the wolves by PO and Fujitsu management

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”