Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to DrFfybes,smokey01,bungeejumper,stockton,Anonymous, for Donating to support the site

HYP Top Up Sheet

Discussions regarding financial software
anothername

HYP Top Up Sheet

Postby anothername » February 8th, 2017, 11:30 am

Is it possible to have US Stocks in the sheet, I have tried to add a couple but get a type mismatch error when I do the get yahoo prices ?

Not sure if US stocks actually fit the remit of HYP ?

Chris

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Re: HYP Top Up Sheet

Postby kiloran » February 8th, 2017, 11:49 am

anothername wrote:Is it possible to have US Stocks in the sheet, I have tried to add a couple but get a type mismatch error when I do the get yahoo prices ?

Chris

Sorry Chris, the HYP Top-Up is hard-coded to UK stocks (the ticker has the .L suffix added automatically within the code)

--kiloran

anothername

Postby anothername » February 8th, 2017, 4:21 pm

kiloran wrote:
anothername wrote:Is it possible to have US Stocks in the sheet, I have tried to add a couple but get a type mismatch error when I do the get yahoo prices ?

Chris

Sorry Chris, the HYP Top-Up is hard-coded to UK stocks (the ticker has the .L suffix added automatically within the code)

--kiloran

Thanks, I thought that might be the case.
Its a nice bit of software so thought it could be useful as a general portfolio tracker, I really like the sector weighting and the expected dividend totaling, I was rather supprised by how much divendend my current portfolio gets as it was not started as a HYP but I do tend towards dividend shares, esp as an ex TMF Share advisor user when I noticed that the ICE portfolio seemed to consistantly beat the supposedly high risk/high return fire portfolio :-)

Chris

anothername

Postby anothername » February 8th, 2017, 6:53 pm

I have managed to make a minor mod to the HYP Top up to allow the use of NYSE/NASDAQ stocks with conversions of values back to GBP
so the rest of the sheet works, it's a bit of a bodge and needs the EPIC Codes for US Stocks to have a "$" prepended in the Digital Look Data Sheet.

Not sure if this is any use to anyone else and if its ok to post it as the code was password protected so not sure if its supposed to be looked at/modified ?, I sort of assumed that the password protection was just to prevent accidental mods (hopefully :D )

Chris

vrdiver
Lemon Quarter

Postby vrdiver » February 15th, 2017, 4:19 pm

anothername wrote:I have managed to make a minor mod to the HYP Top up to allow the use of NYSE/NASDAQ stocks with conversions of values back to GBP
so the rest of the sheet works, it's a bit of a bodge and needs the EPIC Codes for US Stocks to have a "$" prepended in the Digital Look Data Sheet.

Not sure if this is any use to anyone else and if its ok to post it as the code was password protected so not sure if its supposed to be looked at/modified ?, I sort of assumed that the password protection was just to prevent accidental mods (hopefully :D )

Chris

I also have US stocks and manually update the prices after running the automated updates. Would be good to see what you've done to automate your version (I have done nothing).

You are correct re the password - it was put in to protect the innocent, not to block would-be tinkerers. Itsallaguess has never been secretive about what it is: "pleaseletmein".

VRD

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » February 15th, 2017, 7:32 pm

vrdiver wrote:
Itsallaguess has never been secretive about what it is: "pleaseletmein".

VRD

Thanks VRD,

Yes, we're quite happy for people to get in there and modify or enhance the code for their own use. Given that I learnt most of what I know from digging into other peoples Visual Basic routines over the years, it would be a bit off for us to then properly protect our own code.

As you say, the only reason it's password-protected at all is to help stop unintended issues for people with their own spreadsheets. We've always been quite open about the password itself - 'pleaseletmein'.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Return to “Financial Software - Discussion”