Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to smokey01,bungeejumper,stockton,Anonymous,bruncher, for Donating to support the site

Fund Prices added to Simple Price Scrape

Discussions regarding financial software
kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Fund Prices added to Simple Price Scrape

Postby kiloran » June 23rd, 2024, 10:54 am

From time to time, some users have mentioned the need to download Fund/OEIC/Unit Trust prices to a spreadsheet. The HYPTUSS spreadsheet has this capability, and though this still works, future support for HYPTUSS is unlikely.

The Simple Price Scrape spreadsheet allows the downloading of share prices from the Yahoo and Shareprices websites. I thought it might be useful to add the HYPTUSS fund prices capability to this tool. Fund prices are taken from https://markets.ft.com/data/funds/tears ... N45980:GBX

The updated Simple Price Scrape is available at https://lemonfoolfinancialsoftware.weeb ... crape.html

--kiloran

TerryWood

Re: Fund Prices added to Simple Price Scrape

Postby TerryWood » June 23rd, 2024, 4:07 pm

Hi Kiloran

Another very helpful and supportive move by you. I thought you were retiring?

Just a thought, it is already possible to download Yahoo Fund prices in the previous version of Yahoo Simple Price Scrape. I do it, but the prices come from Yahoo and Yahoo pricing is often out of date, sometimes by weeks. So I welcome the option of using FT.

I use FT's Web site to download my own fund prices but they are truncated to two decimal places whereas many fund managers report prices with up to four or five decimal places. If one has large holdings it can make a significant difference to the accuracy of reporting.

I will be interested in seeing if your price feed is limited to two decimal places.

Anyway, thank you for making life easier for us at Lemon fool.

Terry

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » June 23rd, 2024, 5:43 pm

TerryWood wrote:Just a thought, it is already possible to download Yahoo Fund prices in the previous version of Yahoo Simple Price Scrape. I do it, but the prices come from Yahoo and Yahoo pricing is often out of date, sometimes by weeks. So I welcome the option of using FT.

I use FT's Web site to download my own fund prices but they are truncated to two decimal places whereas many fund managers report prices with up to four or five decimal places. If one has large holdings it can make a significant difference to the accuracy of reporting.

I will be interested in seeing if your price feed is limited to two decimal places.

Anyway, thank you for making life easier for us at Lemon fool.

Terry

I'm not very familiar with funds/OEICs (last bought one about 40 years ago and sold about 30 years ago), but from what I have seen, Yahoo does have some fund prices but is missing many.
I think all prices in the FT are limited to 2 decimal places, but my own view is that an accuracy of a percent or better is OK. I certainly wouldn't base any personal buy/sell decision on a percent or less, but maybe that's just me. And I certainly would not use a web site other than my broker or the fund company for accurate pricing.

Any thoughts on a better site than FT for getting fund prices? I'm open to ideas.

--kiloran

GrahamPlatt
Lemon Quarter

Postby GrahamPlatt » June 23rd, 2024, 6:08 pm

Thank you Kiloran.

I still use this regularly, and am very pleased to know you are still supportive of it.
Shame that HYPTUS became sch a burden, but truth be told I didn’t use it, so don’t miss it.

ATB

GPhelan
Lemon Pip

Postby GPhelan » June 25th, 2024, 12:03 am

A source of reliable fund prices to 4 decimal places is Morningstar. I setup a free account and within that used the Portfolio tool to list my funds and Investment Trusts. (I know ITs are just other equities, but it is convenient to grab them at the same time).
Then I copy and paste the portfolio data onto a fixed location in my tracking Excel worksheet from which they are further processed by some Visual Basic. This does not much help getting hold of them within the simple price scrape, but it a source of 4dp fund prices.

Return to “Financial Software - Discussion”