Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to DrFfybes,smokey01,bungeejumper,stockton,Anonymous, for Donating to support the site

Password for v11.24

Discussions regarding financial software
granretire
2 Lemon pips

Password for v11.24

Postby granretire » February 6th, 2017, 7:06 pm

I am still getting the prompt for the password when I close the spreadsheet. Today I opened the spreadsheet (Excel2010), removed a share from my list and closed (and saved) it. The prompt for password appeared. If I click on 'cancel' I am informed that Excel has stopped working and eventually an empty spreadsheet is displayed. If I enter the password, it is happy and the prompt is cleared.
I get the password prompt in other circumstances, but I am usually about to do something else, so I haven't reported this problem again for a while. I can update prices and it doesn't appear.

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Re: Password for v11.24

Postby kiloran » February 6th, 2017, 7:57 pm

granretire wrote:I am still getting the prompt for the password when I close the spreadsheet. Today I opened the spreadsheet (Excel2010), removed a share from my list and closed (and saved) it. The prompt for password appeared. If I click on 'cancel' I am informed that Excel has stopped working and eventually an empty spreadsheet is displayed. If I enter the password, it is happy and the prompt is cleared.
I get the password prompt in other circumstances, but I am usually about to do something else, so I haven't reported this problem again for a while. I can update prices and it doesn't appear.

No idea what is causing this, it's working fine for me.
What happens if you download a fresh copy of 11.24.... does this display the same problem?

Do you use Dropbox? Google suggests it could be a cause: http://peltiertech.com/vb-password-prom ... ing-excel/

I've also seen comments that Adobe add-in may be a culprit

--kiloran

granretire
2 Lemon pips

Postby granretire » February 8th, 2017, 10:27 am

I do use dropbox for other files, but not this. I have this problem for the last few versions of the spreadsheet. In fact I raised the 'password problem' on TMF. It doesn't occur every time of using - just updating prices and yield doesn't give rise to the prompt on closing.

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » February 8th, 2017, 11:09 am

granretire wrote:I do use dropbox for other files, but not this. I have this problem for the last few versions of the spreadsheet. In fact I raised the 'password problem' on TMF. It doesn't occur every time of using - just updating prices and yield doesn't give rise to the prompt on closing.

I've tried all sorts and cannot reproduce this problem.
Here's one of the posts on TMF: http://boards.fool.co.uk/but-when-i-clo ... t=postdate

Can you
  1. clarify what add-ins you have.
  2. Starting with a fresh downloaded copy, describe a specific sequence of events which causes the problem

--kiloran

granretire
2 Lemon pips

Postby granretire » February 9th, 2017, 9:58 am

Downloaded a fresh copy of top-up. No active application add-ins.
Added a share (100 Assura), confirmed and closed, saving the spreadsheet. Password prompt appeared.
Opened spreadsheet again and obtained dividends. Closed, no password prompt.
Opened spreadsheet again, deleted Assura. Closed, password prompt appeared.
Opened spreadsheet again, obtained forecast yields, closed, no password prompt.

This was the first opening of the spreadsheet today, having 'cleaned' pc last night before switching off.

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » February 9th, 2017, 10:04 am

granretire wrote:Downloaded a fresh copy of top-up. No active application add-ins.
Added a share (100 Assura), confirmed and closed, saving the spreadsheet. Password prompt appeared.
Opened spreadsheet again and obtained dividends. Closed, no password prompt.
Opened spreadsheet again, deleted Assura. Closed, password prompt appeared.
Opened spreadsheet again, obtained forecast yields, closed, no password prompt.

This was the first opening of the spreadsheet today, having 'cleaned' pc last night before switching off.

Excellent feedback, granretire. Many thanks.
I don't see this problem with Windows 7 and Excel 2010, but your feedback does give me something to work on.

--kiloran

Return to “Financial Software - Discussion”