Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to smokey01,bungeejumper,stockton,Anonymous,bruncher, for Donating to support the site

Boards getting harder to read - too much unnecessary 'quoting'?

Formerly "Lemon Fool - Improve the Recipe" repurposed as Room 102 (see above).
swill453
Lemon Half

Re: Boards getting harder to read - too much unnecessary 'quoting'?

Postby swill453 » June 5th, 2024, 4:48 am

BobGe wrote:Comment for consideration:
Despite changes, there is still far too much 'lazy' block quoting on this site. If it's a follow-on post on many occasions a "quote" would seem unnecessary, otherwise a selectively edited abridged quote would be quite sufficient one would have thought. It just takes a jiffy to trim quoted text to remove the excess and, after all, it's good writing etiquette and improves readability. Caused to wonder why so many regular posters can’t be bothered?

I agree trimming quoted text is easy when you're using a mouse. But on a phone or tablet with only a touchscreen it's a much more laborious and error-prone process.

Scott.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » June 5th, 2024, 5:56 am

swill453 wrote:
Despite changes, there is still far too much 'lazy' block quoting on this site. If it's a follow-on post on many occasions a "quote" would seem unnecessary, otherwise a selectively edited abridged quote would be quite sufficient one would have thought. It just takes a jiffy to trim quoted text to remove the excess and, after all, it's good writing etiquette and improves readability. Caused to wonder why so many regular posters can’t be bothered?

I agree trimming quoted text is easy when you're using a mouse. But on a phone or tablet with only a touchscreen it's a much more laborious and error-prone process.

Scott.

Once in the post screen you can select the text you want prior to hitting the quote button - which makes the touch screen experience a bit easier

I have a vague, and possible wrong recollection, that this used to be the case when using the quote button to start the reply
- but now it seems to drop the post in question in wholesale.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » June 5th, 2024, 6:07 am

swill453 wrote:

A few years ago I once tried to use TLF on my phone. It was an exercise in utter frustration, and I have never repeated the experience. There is nothing on TLF that is so urgent that it won't wait until I get home.

Phones are fine for simple apps but not for editing or entering large blocks of text.

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » June 5th, 2024, 8:48 am

Lootman wrote:
swill453 wrote:I agree trimming quoted text is easy when you're using a mouse. But on a phone or tablet with only a touchscreen it's a much more laborious and error-prone process.

A few years ago I once tried to use TLF on my phone. It was an exercise in utter frustration, and I have never repeated the experience. There is nothing on TLF that is so urgent that it won't wait until I get home.

Phones are fine for simple apps but not for editing or entering large blocks of text.

Perhaps you haven't discovered the Text Editing tool in Google Chrome? A symbol of 4 squares at the left of the panel above the keyboard. It took me several years to find it on my phone.

TJH

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » June 5th, 2024, 8:54 am

The reason for "quoting" is that the poster to whom you are replying get a notification of your reply. Quoting is just good manners. It is best if you edit the quoted text to the matter of concern, of course.

TJH

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » June 5th, 2024, 10:01 am

BobGe wrote:....It just takes a jiffy to trim quoted text to remove the excess and, after all, it's good writing etiquette and improves readability. Caused to wonder why so many regular posters can’t be bothered?

Perhaps it doesn't occur to them?
Or more scope to mess things up?

Block quoting is endemic on all forums, alas. Just one of those things.

V8

Return to “Room 102 - Site Issues, Complaints & General Chat”