Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to smokey01,bungeejumper,stockton,Anonymous,bruncher, for Donating to support the site

Problem with home grown grapes

your favourite tipple - wine, beer, spirits
Nimrod103
Lemon Half

Problem with home grown grapes

Postby Nimrod103 » June 26th, 2024, 8:36 pm

I planted a vine about 8 years ago, and for the last three very good summers, it has produced an abundance of sweet white grapes. Variety is Phoenix if I remember rightly. The grapes are small and full of pips, but it makes excellent tasting grape juice. The problem is that this juice gives me diarrhoea. I have tried pasteurizing the juice, on the assumption it was natural yeasts, bacteria or other nasties, but to no avail. Could it be natural fructose or something similar?

Has anybody any idea why this might be, before I cut the vine down? And before anybody suggests making wine, I was into that many years ago, but not now. I could never eradicate that "home brewed wine" metabisulphite flavour tainting everything.

oldapple
2 Lemon pips

Re: Problem with home grown grapes

Postby oldapple » June 26th, 2024, 10:55 pm

Just using the words ‘grapes’ and ‘diarrhoea’ in a search suggests that yes, too many sweet white grapes in particular are known to cause ‘the trots’. Now I think of it, grapes used to be what we brought to friends or relatives staying in hospitals. I remember my grandad saying ‘keep your mouth shut and your bowels open’. Seems a shame to cut your vine though if the grapes taste sweet - is it only when you make juice from them that they have this effect on you?

Nimrod103
Lemon Half

Postby Nimrod103 » June 27th, 2024, 7:38 am

oldapple wrote:Just using the words ‘grapes’ and ‘diarrhoea’ in a search suggests that yes, too many sweet white grapes in particular are known to cause ‘the trots’. Now I think of it, grapes used to be what we brought to friends or relatives staying in hospitals. I remember my grandad saying ‘keep your mouth shut and your bowels open’. Seems a shame to cut your vine though if the grapes taste sweet - is it only when you make juice from them that they have this effect on you?

I think I collected about 60 bunches last autumn. Because the grapes are small and full of pips, I tend to eat only a small number. I thought juicing was a better way of processing the volume. I did try to thin the grapes out one year because the bunches are tight, but it was a time consuming job that didn't appear to have much effect.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » June 27th, 2024, 9:01 am

Nimrod103 wrote:Has anybody any idea why this might be, before I cut the vine down? And before anybody suggests making wine, I was into that many years ago, but not now. I could never eradicate that "home brewed wine" metabisulphite flavour tainting everything.

Can't speak to that, but have you tried googling for other drinks recipes? I expect just blending the juice with other fruits won't rid you of the trots, but might it, for instance, be slightly fermented using a process akin to cider?

What about vinegar? I guess that would be more than you could possibly use! But again, a halfway process might make a marinade. Or something.

Just thinking aloud what I'd try if faced with your dilemma. Though I guess you've already tried similar things?

Maroochydore
Lemon Slice

Postby Maroochydore » June 27th, 2024, 1:53 pm

Nimrod103 wrote: The problem is that this juice gives me diarrhoea.

Are you sure it's the grapes? Diarrhoea can be hereditary - it can run through your jeans :D

I'll get m' coat.

Nimrod103
Lemon Half

Postby Nimrod103 » June 27th, 2024, 7:39 pm

Maroochydore wrote:
Nimrod103 wrote: The problem is that this juice gives me diarrhoea.

Are you sure it's the grapes? Diarrhoea can be hereditary - it can run through your jeans :D

I'll get m' coat.

Noses run in my family.

Return to “Drink”