Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to DrFfybes,smokey01,bungeejumper,stockton,Anonymous, for Donating to support the site

Initialling handwriting on a property lease

including wills and probate
brightncheerful
Lemon Quarter

Initialling handwriting on a property lease

Postby brightncheerful » March 10th, 2017, 2:46 pm

A property lease (document) comprises two parts: the lease and the counter-part.

i am not aware of any law that states the content of a lease document has to be typed, but usually leases are. Sometimes, wording is handwritten, sometimes in the margin. When the handwriting is an alteration or change to the original text then any handwritten alteration or changes is normally initialled before the lease is executed/completed.

My question concerns a situation where the completed lease (both parts) comprises text that is handwritten and some that is typed (in any event, all being the original content). Am i right in thinking that it's not necessary to initial the handwritten, merely because some text is typed?

Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Re: Initialling handwriting on a property lease

Postby Clitheroekid » March 11th, 2017, 7:59 pm

brightncheerful wrote:Am i right in thinking that it's not necessary to initial the handwritten, merely because some text is typed?

Yes. The written lease is merely the formal record of what was agreed between the landlord and the tenant. Provided both copies contain the same wording and are executed by the landlord and tenant respectively it doesn't matter that part of the text is handwritten.

In a minor way this is, in any event, standard practice. The majority of printed leases have blank spaces for dates to be inserted and these are written in by hand at the point of completion. I've never seen anyone initial those insertions or suggest that they need initialling.

Return to “Legal Issues (Practical)”