Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to DrFfybes,smokey01,bungeejumper,stockton,Anonymous, for Donating to support the site

Wayleave agreements

including wills and probate
Dod101
The full Lemon

Wayleave agreements

Postby Dod101 » January 4th, 2023, 5:19 pm

I am sure this was covered quite recently but cannot find the thread now. I have just had a letter from an outfit called PCC very kindly offering to get me a payment of £150.04 per annum because a local electricity supplier evidently has some underground cables going through my garden. They say no charge to me and just sign here. Is this legit does anyone know?

Dod

monabri
Lemon Half

Re: Wayleave agreements

Postby monabri » January 4th, 2023, 5:40 pm

Dod101 wrote:I am sure this was covered quite recently but cannot find the thread now. I have just had a letter from an outfit called PCC very kindly offering to get me a payment of £150.04 per annum because a local electricity supplier evidently has some underground cables going through my garden. They say no charge to me and just sign here. Is this legit does anyone know?

Dod

Have a shufty through this link ( MoneySavingsExpert, Martin Lewis)

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/di ... ric-cables

Advise seems to be to go direct to DNO ..District Network Operator.

This second link is better and might help! It provides a link to "check " and to a form for the landowner to submit.

https://www.ukpowernetworks.co.uk/electricity/equipment

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » January 4th, 2023, 5:56 pm

monabri wrote:
Dod101 wrote:I am sure this was covered quite recently but cannot find the thread now. I have just had a letter from an outfit called PCC very kindly offering to get me a payment of £150.04 per annum because a local electricity supplier evidently has some underground cables going through my garden. They say no charge to me and just sign here. Is this legit does anyone know?

Dod

Have a shufty through this link ( MoneySavingsExpert, Martin Lewis)

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/di ... ric-cables

Advise seems to be to go direct to DNO ..District Network Operator.

This second link is better and might help! It provides a link to "check " and to a form for the landowner to submit.

https://www.ukpowernetworks.co.uk/electricity/equipment

Thanks I will follow this up with SSE, being the owner of the local distribution network. I think though that even if PCC is correct, they may be referring to underground cables under my verge which does not belong to me but to the local Council We have no pavements and the various house owners look after the grass verge, cutting the grass and often, like me, planting spring bulbs and the like. Treating it as if we owned it in other words.

Would the local electricity company admit though that they had cables running under my garden even if they did?

Dod

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » January 4th, 2023, 6:37 pm

Dod101 wrote:Thanks I will follow this up with SSE, being the owner of the local distribution network. I think though that even if PCC is correct, they may be referring to underground cables under my verge which does not belong to me but to the local Council We have no pavements and the various house owners look after the grass verge, cutting the grass and often, like me, planting spring bulbs and the like. Treating it as if we owned it in other words.

Would the local electricity company admit though that they had cables running under my garden even if they did?

Dod

SSE are pretty good about this sort of thing, at least they were in Devon.

I think you are referring to a 'service strip' which is a region about 1m fron the edge of the carraigeway that would have been a footway had the developer not been too tight to put a proper one in and the Local Authority planners not had the sense to insist on one. The consequence of the service strip is people over time assume it is their land, then widen their drives, install drop kerbs and block paving, then try and get the lamp column removed from "their" garden, and get very annoyed when utility companies just turn up and dig up their newly block paved drive.

Paul

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » January 4th, 2023, 6:47 pm

DrFfybes wrote:
Dod101 wrote:Thanks I will follow this up with SSE, being the owner of the local distribution network. I think though that even if PCC is correct, they may be referring to underground cables under my verge which does not belong to me but to the local Council We have no pavements and the various house owners look after the grass verge, cutting the grass and often, like me, planting spring bulbs and the like. Treating it as if we owned it in other words.

Dod

SSE are pretty good about this sort of thing, at least they were in Devon.

I think you are referring to a 'service strip' which is a region about 1m fron the edge of the carraigeway that would have been a footway had the developer not been too tight to put a proper one in and the Local Authority planners not had the sense to insist on one. The consequence of the service strip is people over time assume it is their land, then widen their drives, install drop kerbs and block paving, then try and get the lamp column removed from "their" garden, and get very annoyed when utility companies just turn up and dig up their newly block paved drive.

Paul

You are right about the ‘service strip’ except that in my case, it is in front of my cottage built about 1846 I think, when the road would have been just a country lane. Everything else you have said is exactly what has happened. I resist the idea of installing kerbing but anyway, that is where I think the electricity cables, if there are any, will be.

Dod

SebsCat
2 Lemon pips

Postby SebsCat » January 4th, 2023, 7:02 pm

£150 pa seems very high and unlikely to be achieved. £150 as a one off payment perhaps assuming no previous owner had ever reached agreement with the company.

Been a while since I looked at this but we had a whole spate of such letters a few years ago from various companies all promising huge sums of the "you could get..." variety. We've not got any equipment sited on our land (or under it) but we do have aerial cables going across it. Which I would much rather weren't there at all so the last thing I'm going to do is accept some paltry amount which positively then gives them a legal right to have them there. Much better to hold out the hope that it might be possible to force them to re-route the wires away from our house.

Return to “Legal Issues (Practical)”