Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to DrFfybes,smokey01,bungeejumper,stockton,Anonymous, for Donating to support the site

School duty of care

including wills and probate
redsturgeon
Lemon Half

School duty of care

Postby redsturgeon » February 14th, 2017, 8:13 am

My son's school has an automated system for paying for school lunches. The parent pays into an online account to top it up and items are paid for electronically by the pupils at school. There is a pin number, thumb print and the pupils face is displayed on the screen to the cashier when an account is accessed for payment.

There is a daily limit of £5 that can be spent. My son yesterday went for lunch and tried to buy items to the value of about £2.50, to be told that his account limit had been reached so he could only have one item. He phoned me to top up the account thinking he had no money left in it but I went online to see he still had over £6 in the account, however I could see that over £4 had already been spent that day. This surprised him since he had not bought anything.

Looking through my sons account, I can see every transaction and it appears that on at least three occasions over the last week he has had items debited from his account that he has not taken. With the systems in place I cannot see how this can happen but I have informed the school and am awaiting a response.

The system is managed by Parentpay and I am wondering who is responsible for ensuring the security of it and who should I claim my money back from...the school or Parentpay.

John

RedSnapper
2 Lemon pips

Re: School duty of care

Postby RedSnapper » February 14th, 2017, 9:21 am

who should I claim my money back from...the school or Parentpay

The simplistic answer would be 'whoever is responsible'. As ever in this type of situation it is establishing responsibility that is the tricky bit.

AFAIA your contract for the payment system is direct with Parentpay so I would suggest starting there by disputing the transactions.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » February 14th, 2017, 1:33 pm

That's good, the school finance officer has got back to me today asking for more detail so she can investigate.

John

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » February 14th, 2017, 4:13 pm

Resolved, top marks to the school finance officer for quick and efficient resolution. She has changed his pin and refunded the money.

Isn't it good when things work out so easily.

John

quelquod
Lemon Quarter

Postby quelquod » February 14th, 2017, 6:44 pm

Excellent!

Is there a plan to check more carefully the face which is apparently displayed to the cashier? As so often there's not a lot of point in providing the safeguards unless people use them.

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » February 14th, 2017, 6:46 pm

redsturgeon wrote:Resolved, top marks to the school finance officer for quick and efficient resolution. She has changed his pin and refunded the money.

Isn't it good when things work out so easily.

John

So somebody other than your son knows his PIN?

That is not good security.

Slarti

chas49
Lemon Quarter

Postby chas49 » February 15th, 2017, 9:46 am

Strange - is the suggestion that someone else knew his PIN and therefore was able to charge to his account? Does that mean they had his card as well? And then returned it without him knowing? It doesn't sound like the system is that secure....

DrBunsenHoneydew
Lemon Slice

Postby DrBunsenHoneydew » February 15th, 2017, 10:20 am

My offspring have the same system. There is no card. The PIN is intended for people who don't want to use the thumb scanner. They also allow a £10 overdraft for those who have not topped up on time.
My main observation is that by not actually handing over money for stuff any more, the children are spending 50% more!

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » February 15th, 2017, 10:42 am

I'm a bit uncomfortable about this - the system is not secure, someone else has used the account, the school is refunding it. Schools are not money pits, their money is my money. So....I'd like to see them taking this seriously and trying to find out what happened so they can get refunded from the perpetrator.

It could be happening all over the place. Ex'stepson' had this system and his mother or father just topped it up whenever he asked, no-one ever checked what he bought or how much was in the account, and they never spoke to each other to know if the other one had topped it up the day before. Sure, they can presumably see that when they log in to top it up, but neither of them would even bat an eyelid at any transactions and I suspect that the majority of people are the same.

So, it could be happening loads and no-one has reported it.

Mel

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » February 16th, 2017, 11:29 am

melonfool wrote:I'm a bit uncomfortable about this - the system is not secure, someone else has used the account, the school is refunding it. Schools are not money pits, their money is my money. So....I'd like to see them taking this seriously and trying to find out what happened so they can get refunded from the perpetrator.

It could be happening all over the place. Ex'stepson' had this system and his mother or father just topped it up whenever he asked, no-one ever checked what he bought or how much was in the account, and they never spoke to each other to know if the other one had topped it up the day before. Sure, they can presumably see that when they log in to top it up, but neither of them would even bat an eyelid at any transactions and I suspect that the majority of people are the same.

So, it could be happening loads and no-one has reported it.

Mel

Yes this was my thought.

The system which seems widely in use across the country does not require a card but the pupil either scans their thumb (secure I'd have thought, barring mafia type amputations) or they use a PIN...but with no card associated. This means that each pupil has a random four digit number assigned to them.

Type in any four digit number and you have a one in five chance that it is assigned to someone, at my son's 2000 pupil school. The pupils face then appears on the screen in front of the cashier before money is taken off the account...that's as secure as it gets.

My son admits he has typed in the wrong number by mistake before but since the wrong face appeared he was then asked to try again...so there is no ability to tell whether the "mistake" is genuine or an attempt to beat the system.

The only positive thing about it is the ability to interrogate the account down to individual transaction and item level to investigate these things.

I guess in my day we just had to fight off the bullies trying to steal your dinner money to buy fags!

John

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » February 17th, 2017, 3:21 pm

redsturgeon wrote:The system which seems widely in use across the country does not require a card but the pupil either scans their thumb (secure I'd have thought, barring mafia type amputations)

Unless the kids watched the Mythbusters episode where they cracked thumbprint security with a variety of kitchen stuff - in a matter of minutes!

Unless these are the print readers that also read veins, etc to show proof of life then they are horribly insecure.
The ones that do work are horribly expensive.

Also, is the system connected to other school IT systems?

When my son did his year as school IT tech he found that all systems were connected and that the kids could hack most things. He got them to take the teaching machines off the admin network, against opposition from some teachers and the IT manager, by changing the wallpaper on the head's machine to a message about lack of security.

Slarti

foundone
Lemon Pip

Postby foundone » February 18th, 2017, 9:59 pm

Interesting, a quick fix would be to only accept pins from students who had opted out of the fingerprint system, making it far less likely to guess a valid pin.

A spin off of this is my daughter said two pupils who were misbehaving on the school bus were identified by a member of the public from the school meals photos.

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » February 18th, 2017, 11:39 pm

foundone wrote:Interesting, a quick fix would be to only accept pins from students who had opted out of the fingerprint system, making it far less likely to guess a valid pin.

A spin off of this is my daughter said two pupils who were misbehaving on the school bus were identified by a member of the public from the school meals photos.

Which is surely a breach of the Data Protection Act as images are data and that is not the reason the data was supplied?

Mel

DrBunsenHoneydew
Lemon Slice

Postby DrBunsenHoneydew » February 19th, 2017, 1:28 pm

Which is surely a breach of the Data Protection Act as images are data and that is not the reason the data was supplied?

The "get-out" will be that the meal system photos will be the same as the general photos that the school already had for "general purposes including discipline", or similar.

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » February 19th, 2017, 1:34 pm

DrBunsenHoneydew wrote:

The "get-out" will be that the meal system photos will be the same as the general photos that the school already had for "general purposes including discipline", or similar.

Ex-stepson's school do not hold any other photos, only the meal system one. They have a few they take for their website but, again, these are not for that purpose and anyway are mainly groups. I think using them that way is a breach of the DPA and there is no 'get out'. I would certainly complain if my child's photo was shown to a random person - presumably they did not only show the photos of the perpetrators but several others as well until the perps were identified.

Mel

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » February 19th, 2017, 3:12 pm

melonfool wrote:I would certainly complain if my child's photo was shown to a random person Mel

Why?

RC

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » February 19th, 2017, 3:30 pm

ReformedCharacter wrote:
melonfool wrote:I would certainly complain if my child's photo was shown to a random person Mel

Why?

RC

Because it is their personal data and is protected by law for good reason.

Anyone could go into the school and say "two kids in your school's uniform were messing around on the bus and I want to know their names" and then (presumably, as the case mentioned here shows) get shown a load of photos of school kids and their names.

Person now knows names of some kids who go to the school. You don't think this information could be misused in any way?

Mel

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » February 19th, 2017, 4:02 pm

melonfool wrote:
ReformedCharacter wrote:

Why?

RC

Anyone could go into the school and say "two kids in your school's uniform were messing around on the bus and I want to know their names" and then (presumably, as the case mentioned here shows) get shown a load of photos of school kids and their names.

Person now knows names of some kids who go to the school. You don't think this information could be misused in any way?

Mel

Firstly, we don't know any more than:

'A spin off of this is my daughter said two pupils who were misbehaving on the school bus were identified by a member of the public from the school meals photos.'

And it begs the question how 'a member of the public' was able to get into a school and view school meal 'photos. It doesn't necessarily mean that the 'member of the public' could identify those children by name unless either the school volunteered the information which is probably unlikely, or that the names appeared appended to the 'photos.

'You don't think this information could be misused in any way?'

Almost anything can be misused and I do agree that data protection is important but there are much easier ways of finding out the names and pictures of schoolchildren. Such as Facebook.

This sort of 'protection' seems to have become something of a national obsession. Last time I attended one of my children's swimming sport's days one of the teachers nearly had a heart attack when one of the parents began to take a picture of one of her children in the pool. We were also told that we couldn't turn round and look at other children who were in one of the other pools. Complete madness.

Just last week I was told that I couldn't cancel my son's contract for dental care which I pay for. This was because the contract was originally signed by my wife, with whom I share a bank account and many years of marriage, and to do so would have 'contravened the DPA'. I'm not a lawyer but suspect the DPA is probably more used as a justification for obstinacy and general stupidity than any other.

RC

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » February 19th, 2017, 4:11 pm

ReformedCharacter wrote:
melonfool wrote:
ReformedCharacter wrote:Why?

RC

Mel

'A spin off of this is my daughter said two pupils who were misbehaving on the school bus were identified by a member of the public from the school meals photos.'

And it begs the question how 'a member of the public' was able to get into a school and view school meal 'photos. It doesn't necessarily mean that the 'member of the public' could identify those children by name unless either the school volunteered the information which is probably unlikely, or that the names appeared appended to the 'photos.

Almost anything can be misused and I do agree that data protection is important but there are much easier ways of finding out the names and pictures of schoolchildren. Such as Facebook.

This sort of 'protection' seems to have become something of a national obsession. Last time I attended one of my children's swimming sport's days one of the teachers nearly had a heart attack when one of the parents began to take a picture of one of her children in the pool. We were also told that we couldn't turn round and look at other children who were in one of the other pools. Complete madness.

Just last week I was told that I couldn't cancel my son's contract for dental care which I pay for. This was because the contract was originally signed by my wife, with whom I share a bank account and many years of marriage, and to do so would have 'contravened the DPA'. I'm not a lawyer but suspect the DPA is probably more used as a justification for obstinacy and general stupidity than any other.

RC

Neither of your latter two examples/rants have anything to do with the topic in hand. Just because you can give examples of where data protection is misused doesn't mean that my concern is not genuine. Just this week I asked my assistant at work to stop saying we can't do something (very minor) because of 'data protection' (no idea if someone told her to say this) and to just say it is 'company policy'. Does that mean I should tear up our whole data protection policy? No. Funnily enough, we are a company that creates products to ensure data protection!

Mel

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » February 19th, 2017, 4:39 pm

melonfool wrote:
ReformedCharacter wrote:
melonfool wrote:

Mel

RC

Neither of your latter two examples/rants have anything to do with the topic in hand. Just because you can give examples of where data protection is misused doesn't mean that my concern is not genuine. Just this week I asked my assistant at work to stop saying we can't do something (very minor) because of 'data protection' (no idea if someone told her to say this) and to just say it is 'company policy'. Does that mean I should tear up our whole data protection policy? No. Funnily enough, we are a company that creates products to ensure data protection!

Mel

'Just because you can give examples of where data protection is misused doesn't mean that my concern is not genuine.'

Only you know whether or not your concerns are 'genuine', whether they are justified is another matter.

'Just this week I asked my assistant at work to stop saying we can't do something (very minor) because of 'data protection' '

It sounds as if your company assistant falls into the 'obstinacy and general stupidity' category. But at least you've cleared that one up.

RC.

Return to “Legal Issues (Practical)”