Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to DrFfybes,smokey01,bungeejumper,stockton,Anonymous, for Donating to support the site

Entrapment?

including wills and probate
GoSeigen
Lemon Quarter

Re: Entrapment?

Postby GoSeigen » November 5th, 2022, 5:52 pm

Mike4 wrote:
swill453 wrote:
mc2fool wrote:So ... I don't think the OP is going to have much of a case for claiming no info on how to pay ....

I agree, but I wonder how considerate and user-friendly the signage is. One at the exit saying "Don't forget to pay your £5 before tomorrow night!" would be kind.

There may of course be one, I have no idea.

Scott.

Looks to me as though the OP is bang to rights, or whatever the term is given the photo of the signs now posted.

I think there is an argument that "how to pay" ought to be just as prominent as the headline saying "£5 Drop Off Charge", i.e. in the same font and size (rather than significantly smaller and in a lightweight font rather than bold). But how to pay IS there in the signage, plain to see by those with their glasses on, so I think anyone arguing this will be starting from the back foot...

Before everyone gets too excited I don't think those are the notices that the OP saw. He described them thus: " I was dropping off a friend and saw the hastily added £5 Fee signs bolted on to the "Drop off zone" signs. "

Why he didn't see the purple signs is another question altogether. My previous view still stands (assuming good faith on the part of the OP).

GS

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » November 6th, 2022, 7:00 pm

Seems to me like a lot of trouble to avoid paying £40 or actually £35 more than the drop off fee. I'd put it down to experience and move on.

I've had to pay the fee once when my son picked up his brother from Heathrow and forgot to pay.

When I have dropped my son off this year he has paid between passing the sign and me stopping the car at the drop off zone, so it is relatively straightforward.

Just one of those (many) petty annoyances of modern life.

John

stockton
Lemon Slice

Postby stockton » November 7th, 2022, 5:39 pm

One thing that puzzles me about these road traffic payment schemes is that you only get 24 hours or so to pay. Given that people are travelling they may not have access to a phone or the internet for some time - and consequently a week or so to pay would be much more sensible.

chas49
Lemon Quarter

Postby chas49 » November 7th, 2022, 5:48 pm

stockton wrote:One thing that puzzles me about these road traffic payment schemes is that you only get 24 hours or so to pay. Given that people are travelling they may not have access to a phone or the internet for some time - and consequently a week or so to pay would be much more sensible.

The Drop-off zone is (by definition) used by at least the driver who won't be travelling though?

scrumpyjack
Lemon Quarter

Postby scrumpyjack » November 7th, 2022, 6:02 pm

I think most UK airports do this, Luton have for years. They, like Heathrow, offer a free option whereby you drop off in a car park and the traveller(s) get the free bus to the terminal. I have tended to do that at Luton as the terminal drop off area gets so congested and one passes the Mid-Term car park a few hundred yards before the terminal and the buses are very frequent.

Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Postby Leothebear » November 7th, 2022, 7:59 pm

All I saw was a yellow "£5 Pound Fee" - I didn't see the purple sign at all. I was too concerned with finding a spot to drop off my passenger. I know they want you in and out as quickly as possible, so rather than leave the car, I drove off fully expecting a barrier, like many other charging points. No barrier. I didn't even consider going back, I assumed that the system wasn't fully functional.

It makes me sick to pay this outfit a "fine" when I know it's a cash cow for them. I'd like to know how many "fines" they've issued.

However as this has been in operation for a year now, I tend to agree my chances in court are slim.

Leo :evil:

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » November 8th, 2022, 4:11 pm

Mike4 wrote:... Back at the start of all this CRT would add the cost (if caught) to the license fee at next renewal.

which rather makes me wonder how on earth that works with hire boats, especially where the "offense" happened 364 days before the next renewal. Are hire companies really expected to trawl though bookings to find out who the hirer was, who may possibly live abroad or even be dead by that juncture!

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » November 8th, 2022, 4:14 pm

The Drop-off zone is (by definition) used by at least the driver who won't be travelling though?

i wouldn't have thought it unlikely that driver drops family off at terminal, drives to off site parking and gets a bus in to meet family just by departures. Thus leaving the family (eg wife and three young children) from having to have the hassle of getting on and off busses etc etc.

A distinct possibility - we did it ourselves when the kids were young.

didds

Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Postby Leothebear » December 5th, 2022, 3:14 pm

My last word on this. Today I dropped off my wife at South Terminal Gatwick. A complete contrast. Plenty of signs and one in particular with illuminated lettering "Please Pay Online". You couldn't miss them.

A lot less lucrative than Heathrow's I'll bet, but far fairer.

Leo

pochisoldi
Lemon Slice

Postby pochisoldi » December 6th, 2022, 6:25 am

The charge at Birmingham is easily avoided - drop off at Birmingham International railway station and get the people mover to the airport.

Similarly, at Heathrow - drop off at Hatton Cross Tube (A30), then use contactless/Oyster to travel to any of the Heathrow Underground stations for free. When the tube isn't running take the H30 bus which is free.

Return to “Legal Issues (Practical)”