Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to DrFfybes,smokey01,bungeejumper,stockton,Anonymous, for Donating to support the site

Disability claims

including wills and probate
Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Re: Disability claims

Postby Gengulphus » December 5th, 2016, 1:26 pm

Diziet wrote:Ah, thank you for explaining all this to me, because I had no idea about what the discussion was about <sarcasm alert here - your post came across as pretty patronizing>

If you post addressing points that haven't been made and not addressing points that have been made, of course readers will get the idea that you have no idea what the discussion is about...

Diziet wrote:When the legislation came in, all sorts of businesses, big and small, made terrible claims about how awful it would be for them.

Yes - and I would always take such claims about what will happen in the future with a very large amount of salt, because they're clearly speculative and probably trying to set out a negotiating position - and like it or not, it's good negotiation tactics to claim more than you think you'll end up getting.

However, dspp has made claims about situations he or she actually has faced, and that's another matter...

Diziet wrote:And, having been directly discriminated in my career, more than once, i do have direct experience, and, seeing as I i am an extremely hard working and successful employee, very little sympathy.

So you have direct experience of it from the viewpoint of a extremely hard working and successful employee. You don't say what size(s) of business it was in - but it clearly isn't direct experience of a small business employing someone who turns out to be out to screw everything they can out of the job while working as little as possible, from either side's point of view. And don't try to tell me that such employees don't exist - there are rotten apples in every walk of life, and that includes both employers and employees: the fact that you have experience of bad employer problems doesn't mean that bad employee problems don't also exist.

Equality legislation has to try to balance those two types of problem against each other. It will doubtless never get the balance perfectly correct, but it does need to try to deal with bad employer problems while not making it impossible or excessively expensive for decent employers to deal with bad employee problems.

Gengulphus

chas49
Lemon Quarter

Postby chas49 » December 5th, 2016, 2:09 pm

Please keep discussions to the legal issues and avoid personal arguments. If discussions get too personal, mods may have to step in!

chas49 (moderator)

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » December 5th, 2016, 4:09 pm

quelquod wrote:
Anyone who thinks that the costs to a business is equal between the sexes simply has not owned or been accountable for one.

Who suggested they thought that then?

Mel

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » December 5th, 2016, 5:33 pm

melonfool wrote:
quelquod wrote:
Anyone who thinks that the costs to a business is equal between the sexes simply has not owned or been accountable for one.

Who suggested they thought that then?

The legislators, perhaps?

The costs of employing someone can be split between those costs that are of immediate, direct and visible benefit to the employee, such as their wages, and those that are not, such as maternity/paternity leave. If the latter are unequal between the sexes, then you get a fundamental conflict between the employer and the employee. The employer sees equal treatment as meaning that the total costs are equal, which necessarily implies that the immediate, direct and visible costs are not equal. The employee sees equal treatment as meaning that the immediate, direct and visible costs are equal, which necessarily implies that the total costs are not equal. Therefore, by bringing in 'equality legislation' and expecting everyone to agree that it really does promote equality, the legislators are implicitly suggesting that the other costs are equal between the sexes! ;-)

Gengulphus

patrickmacqueen

Postby patrickmacqueen » December 6th, 2016, 12:55 pm

The costs of employing someone can be split between those costs that are of immediate, direct and visible benefit to the employee, such as their wages, and those that are not, such as maternity/paternity leave. If the latter are unequal between the sexes, then you get a fundamental conflict between the employer and the employee. The employer sees equal treatment as meaning that the total costs are equal, which necessarily implies that the immediate, direct and visible costs are not equal. The employee sees equal treatment as meaning that the immediate, direct and visible costs are equal, which necessarily implies that the total costs are not equal. Therefore, by bringing in 'equality legislation' and expecting everyone to agree that it really does promote equality, the legislators are implicitly suggesting that the other costs are equal between the sexes! ;-)

Wouldn't it be more accurate to say that equality legislation was brought in because it was felt that treating someone less favourably because of their gender (or their race, or their sexual orientation, etc) was simply unacceptable in the modern world, and that any difficulties of the type you refer to are less important than that principle?

dspp
Lemon Half

Postby dspp » December 6th, 2016, 1:38 pm

patrickmacqueen wrote:Wouldn't it be more accurate to say that equality legislation was brought in because it was felt that treating someone less favourably because of their gender (or their race, or their sexual orientation, etc) was simply unacceptable in the modern world, and that any difficulties of the type you refer to are less important than that principle?

That's all very well and fine in principle. It is also OK in practice large employers in the private sector and/or state sector employers. But when we get to smaller employers in the private sector it runs into the problems in practice that some of us have explained. That is just how it is.

That is why CK posed the question/proposal he did at the beginning of the thread. I have answered with one suggestion, and I've seen some proposed modifications to that (to avoid cliff-edging) which are worthy of consideration (though personally I have reservations). What I have not seen stated bluntly is anyone saying that these small private sector employers just have to put up with the status quo - probably because everyone can see that the problem is real and it is very difficult to avoid it resulting in hiring bias as an unintended consequence that negatively affects the very people it was intended to support.

regards, dspp

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » December 6th, 2016, 1:59 pm

patrickmacqueen wrote:

Wouldn't it be more accurate to say that equality legislation was brought in because it was felt that treating someone less favourably because of their gender (or their race, or their sexual orientation, etc) was simply unacceptable in the modern world, and that any difficulties of the type you refer to are less important than that principle?

No. It's neither more accurate nor less accurate - it's just answering a different question. Specifically, it's answering the question "Why was the equality legislation brought in?", whereas I was answering the question "Who suggested that the costs to a business are equal between the sexes?" (in a half tongue-in-cheek manner, I'll admit!).

Just to make it clear, I have no quarrel with the equality legislation having been brought in - but I'm also not blind to the fact that there is a fundamental conflict between what employees will see as equal treatment and what employers will see as equal treatment. Because of that conflict and others, it seems essential to me that equality legislation must not be treated as a sacred cow. I.e. allegations that equality legislation is producing seriously inequitable results must be looked at properly, not dismissed on the grounds that other, different such allegations didn't hold water. (And equally, difficult-to-avoid cases of it producing mildly inequitable results just have to be accepted as part of the cost of living in a society with our society's standards.)

Gengulphus

patrickmacqueen

Postby patrickmacqueen » December 6th, 2016, 2:24 pm

What I have not seen stated bluntly is anyone saying that these small private sector employers just have to put up with the status quo

These small private sector employers just have to put up with the status quo.

Because any alternative - allowing small employers to treat women, or pregnant women, or young women, or people who have had mental health problems in the past, differently simply because of that characteristic, is just not conscionable.

Of course there will be a number of small employers who may refuse to hire women as a result, and may be clever enough to do it in such a way that they don't expose themselves to legal sanction. But it will be a reducing number, particularly as there are more women in senior positions who are involved in the hiring decisions.

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » December 6th, 2016, 3:11 pm

patrickmacqueen wrote:
What I have not seen stated bluntly is anyone saying that these small private sector employers just have to put up with the status quo

These small private sector employers just have to put up with the status quo.

Agreed.

As I think my post said but maybe not bluntly enough.

Mel

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » December 6th, 2016, 3:38 pm

patrickmacqueen wrote:These small private sector employers just have to put up with the status quo.

Because any alternative - allowing small employers to treat women, or pregnant women, or young women, or people who have had mental health problems in the past, differently simply because of that characteristic, is just not conscionable.

How about the alternative of not being a small private sector employer - going to make that illegal too?

Gengulphus

quelquod
Lemon Quarter

Postby quelquod » December 6th, 2016, 4:02 pm

But you rather miss the point (I think I made it clearly enough earlier) that this discrimination is actually aggravated because of the legislation. It's naive to think that the owner of a small business will not take steps to manage his potential liabilities. I know from bar chats in the local chamber of commerce that I am far from alone there.

dspp
Lemon Half

Postby dspp » December 6th, 2016, 4:13 pm

1) It is counterproductive to the very people it is intended to protect/assist. That's why CK raised the issue in the first place.

2) The ladies I know who run small businesses are the sharpest about hiring flighty young things who might be costly, so waiting until/if even more ladies are doing the hiring might also be counterproductive.

regards, dspp

Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clitheroekid » December 6th, 2016, 7:00 pm

patrickmacqueen wrote:These small private sector employers just have to put up with the status quo.

"Conscionable" means it is by definition a subjective judgment, as different people have different consciences. What would bother me would not remotely trouble others, and vice versa.

My own view has always been quite strongly that the starting point should be complete freedom to choose who you employ or don't employ. A small business's main priority is to succeed in what is a very competitive environment, and restrictions on its ability to do so should be limited to the absolutely essential, such as having employer's liability insurance and complying with reasonable health and safety legislation.

I don't accept that small businesses should be forced to become unwilling agents of social change - it's simply not their role. It follows that they should not be forced to recruit someone who they see as second best simply because of fear of being hit with a discrimination claim. If you're a one man band looking to take on your first ever employee then because of the closeness of the relationship that will exist you should have complete freedom to choose whoever you want, without having to worry about any discrimination legislation.

If government policy is to engineer social change through anti-discrimination law it should only do so where the organisation is either publicly funded or large enough to be able to take on less than ideal people without it having any serious effect on its performance.

quelquod
Lemon Quarter

Postby quelquod » December 6th, 2016, 7:36 pm

Have 2 Recs.
1 for the post. 1 for the views.

genou
Lemon Quarter

Postby genou » December 6th, 2016, 9:04 pm

Clitheroekid wrote:
I don't accept that small businesses should be forced to become unwilling agents of social change -

If government policy is to engineer social change through anti-discrimination law it should only do so where the organisation is either publicly funded or large enough to be able to take on less than ideal people without it having any serious effect on its performance.

My emphasis.

It's not engineering social change. Society has changed. The legislation is to force the laggards to keep up.

The costs of all this are expected to be shared amongst us all. If a small business is too poorly run, or too economically marginal, to be able to deal with that in its pricing, then we have collectively decided that it should not be there in preference to it surviving by discriminating.

On the "less than ideal" ; Jesus CK, please retract that.

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » December 6th, 2016, 10:41 pm

genou wrote:On the "less than ideal" ; Jesus CK, please retract that.

Why on earth should he? It's a fact of life that everyone is less than ideal for some jobs - I'm less than ideal for a job as a professional footballer, for instance! And indeed many other jobs...

I think the problem is that you're interpreting his "less than ideal" as "less than ideal for the job, because the person is a woman/black/over 50 years old/disabled/etc]" - when it seems clear to me from what he said that he meant "less than ideal for the job, irrespective of whether the person is a woman/black/over 50 years old/disabled/etc".

Gengulphus

Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clitheroekid » December 7th, 2016, 1:41 am

genou wrote:It's not engineering social change. Society has changed. The legislation is to force the laggards to keep up.

Well that's one way of looking at it. However, in my experience many of the "changes" are fairly superficial. In many cases all the legislation has really achieved is to suppress people from expressing their true feelings, at least in public. Legislation can't make a bigoted person into a decent person.

But scrape the veneer away and there is still a huge amount of what you would probably call prejudice. I would argue that much of it is just common sense.

Let's imagine that a one man band wants to take on his first employee and he is given the choice of a woman of 28 and a man of 28, both of whom are recently married (though not to each other!) Let's also make the unlikely assumption that they are both perfect for the job so that there is nothing to choose between them.

But it''s bound to occur to the employer that the woman may well have a child within a couple of years. This will at the very least mean that he will have to deal with maternity leave, and quite possibly the permanent loss of her as an employee.

Of course, the man's wife may also have a child, but that's unlikely to impact on his employment to anything like the same extent.

A rational person would therefore choose to employ the man. This isn't prejudice, it's just common sense based on the reality of life. It would be exactly the same choice as if the choice was between two identical robots, one of which had a significant risk of being out of action for a few months, possibly permanently.

Legally if he chooses to employ the man he is probably guilty of sex discrimination and could be heavily penalised, but I'm struggling to see that he has done anything that's `morally' wrong.

Exactly the same would apply if he was faced with a healthy female employee and a man with a track record of depression and anxiety. The common sense decision would be to employ the healthy woman, but that would also be a discriminatory act.

As I said before, small businesses should not be expected to act as an extension of the welfare state. They employ people for a purpose - to help the business succeed - and not to make a point or send a message to the community at large. They should therefore be free from such constraints when choosing who to employ.

I know that there are any number of cases where the decision may turn out to have been completely unjustified, and where making the `irrational' choice would have been the right one, but realistically these cases are likely to be in the minority.

Of course a larger organisation can afford to take risks far more readily, and in the first scenario they would be much more likely to offer the woman a job as if she were to have a child they would have the resources to deal with her absence in a way that could be of benefit to both of them. Consequently, the `risk' of that happening would be outweighed by the benefit of having a high quality employee.

And, of course, the larger the organisation (and always if publicly funded) the more they are concerned about their image - their "corporate social responsibility" - so whatever the people who run it may privately think they will in public want to be seen to embrace all the policies promoted as being progressive.

The costs of all this are expected to be shared amongst us all. If a small business is too poorly run, or too economically marginal, to be able to deal with that in its pricing, then we have collectively decided that it should not be there in preference to it surviving by discriminating.

I suspect you've never run a small business. Many small businesses are `economically marginal', but they nevertheless provide an excellent service to their customers, and they also provide employment for millions of people. In many cases they don't make economic sense at all, and I've seen plenty where the employees are better off than their employer. The employer continues to operate because they love what they do, and will continue to do so even if they are only just breaking even.

But to make the lofty statement that if they can't afford to comply to the letter with legislation, no matter how unfair it may be to such businesses, they should just go to the wall is a point of view with which I fundamentally disagree.

On the "less than ideal" ; Jesus CK, please retract that.

Certainly not! The `ideal' employee is chosen solely on merit. If external factors like compliance with discrimination law persuade the employer to choose someone different then that person is by definition `less than ideal'.

supremetwo
Lemon Quarter

Postby supremetwo » December 7th, 2016, 2:18 am

he is given the choice of a woman of 28 and a man of 28, both of whom are recently married (though not to each other!). --- But it''s bound to occur to the employer that the woman may well have a child within a couple of years. This will at the very least mean that he will have to deal with maternity leave, and quite possibly the permanent loss of her as an employee.

But negated by the added complication of 'Shared Parental Leave':-

https://www.gov.uk/shared-parental-leav ... y/overview

quelquod
Lemon Quarter

Postby quelquod » December 7th, 2016, 8:35 am

supremetwo wrote:But negated by the added complication of 'Shared Parental Leave':-

https://www.gov.uk/shared-parental-leav ... y/overview

In principle possibly, but not realistically. i don't know anyone who sees this as a material risk to their workforce.

chas49
Lemon Quarter

Postby chas49 » December 7th, 2016, 9:42 am

After this topic was started, the name of this forum was changed to "Legal Issues (Practical).

As such, the purpose of this board (for all future topics) is for the discussion of practical legal questions - e.g.what are my rights, what should I do, and any relevant background discussion as to why this is so and/or what are the practical implications. Up to a point relevant theoretical considerations can be explored but if they stray too far from practicality then threads will be relocated to the Polite Debate & Discussion boards at the moderators' discretion.

Thanks for your understanding.

Moderator Message:
Posted by chas49 as moderator

Return to “Legal Issues (Practical)”