Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to smokey01,bungeejumper,stockton,Anonymous,bruncher, for Donating to support the site

Changing address on Enduring Power of Attorney (EPA)

including wills and probate
raybarrow
Lemon Slice

Changing address on Enduring Power of Attorney (EPA)

Postby raybarrow » June 9th, 2024, 9:26 am

Hi Folks,
Mrs B and I both have the old style, pre 2007, EPAs. We have recently moved in a 'retirement village', which is very nice as it happens and they have asked about confirming if we have POAs, just as an admin process nothing sinister! We are both in good health with no medical/mental problems other than getting older! The EPAs name each other as the Attorney so no complicated family issues.
I realised that the EPAs still show our previous address. Can we just simply write in the new address?

Cheers,
Ray.

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Re: Changing address on Enduring Power of Attorney (EPA)

Postby DrFfybes » June 9th, 2024, 10:45 am

For the new ones you need to tell the OPG, but when mum moved we didn't need to do anything for the old style ones.

Paul

Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clitheroekid » June 9th, 2024, 6:31 pm

raybarrow wrote:I realised that the EPAs still show our previous address. Can we just simply write in the new address?

NO! Emphatically not. An EPA is a legal document that has been signed, witnessed and dated, and any alteration to it would risk invalidating it.

Should it ever need to be registered (which hopefully it never will) the change of address can be recorded by the OPG.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » June 10th, 2024, 2:16 pm

Clitheroekid wrote:
raybarrow wrote:I realised that the EPAs still show our previous address. Can we just simply write in the new address?

NO! Emphatically not. An EPA is a legal document that has been signed, witnessed and dated, and any alteration to it would risk invalidating it.

Should it ever need to be registered (which hopefully it never will) the change of address can be recorded by the OPG.

Yes, I have an EPA from 2007. My address has changed since then but I figure that is not material and could be dealt with at the time of use. For that matter the witness has changed address as well. Not worried about it.

The document is lodged with one of my sons, who is one of the attorneys, and so he would be the one executing it and not me.

No intention of registering it either.

raybarrow
Lemon Slice

Postby raybarrow » June 12th, 2024, 9:34 am

Hi Folks,
Thanks for the comments. I think 'let sleeping dogs lie' is the answer unless something major alters. The retirement centre were only interested if the attorney was a solicitor or someone they didn't know about in advance.
Cheers,
Ray.

Return to “Legal Issues (Practical)”