Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to DrFfybes,smokey01,bungeejumper,stockton,Anonymous, for Donating to support the site

Car hit, recovering uninsured losses

including wills and probate
Dod101
The full Lemon

Re: Car hit, recovering uninsured losses

Postby Dod101 » December 18th, 2022, 11:32 am

pochisoldi is marginally better off than if there had been no witness, but not much. The lesson here is why on earth would a witness, trying be helpful presumably, report the proceedings to the police without leaving his own details on the windscreen? Pochisoldi may have had good reason not to report the matter to the police who will have very little interest as no one was injured and I doubt that they would make any attempt to discover if the driver of the vehicle which caused the damage was actually negligent.

Very strange.

Dod

CliffEdge
Lemon Quarter

Postby CliffEdge » December 18th, 2022, 11:36 am

Just a thought, if you get nowhere, is it worth contacting the police commissioner?

mutantpoodle
Lemon Quarter

Postby mutantpoodle » December 19th, 2022, 8:15 am

CliffEdge wrote:Just a thought, if you get nowhere, is it worth contacting the police commissioner?

probably too busy making sure all correct boxes are ticked following cockups of the lasy one!

CliffEdge
Lemon Quarter

Postby CliffEdge » December 19th, 2022, 9:04 am

mutantpoodle wrote:
CliffEdge wrote:Just a thought, if you get nowhere, is it worth contacting the police commissioner?

probably too busy making sure all correct boxes are ticked following cockups of the lasy one!

They don't like bad publicity though. Ours has a column in the local newspaper.

pochisoldi
Lemon Slice

Postby pochisoldi » April 25th, 2023, 3:21 pm

Dod101 wrote:pochisoldi is marginally better off than if there had been no witness, but not much. The lesson here is why on earth would a witness, trying be helpful presumably, report the proceedings to the police without leaving his own details on the windscreen? Pochisoldi may have had good reason not to report the matter to the police who will have very little interest as no one was injured and I doubt that they would make any attempt to discover if the driver of the vehicle which caused the damage was actually negligent.

As an update, after letting the insurers run with things for 3 months...
Third party denied liability back in January
Looks like the insurer couldn't be bothered to get the witness details.
They've started to pester me for a copy of the invoice for the replacement tyres (despite me emailing it in December, and them paying out for a single tyre in January).
I get the feeling that the claims handlers are, ahem, "less than keen", and want me to do all the running around - I told them they already had the invoice, and asked them for information to pursue a claim against the 3rd party, and the response was "You'll have to contact the third party's insurers" - Yes, that's what I want you to give me!

I've raised a complaint with my insurer regarding the handling, and I'm going to request the details directly from the police myself - shouldn't have to but I'm more likely to get a response from the police than my insurers.

PochiSoldi

PS: As to why the witness called the police without leaving their details on the car.
1) Because they wanted to help the innocent party
2) I believe she(rather than he) didn't want to advertise their phone number by leaving it under a wiper blade on a car in a terraced street.

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » April 25th, 2023, 3:43 pm

The above sounds typical of a scummy insurer doing their best to wriggle out of a payout
I hope not though

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » April 25th, 2023, 6:51 pm

Care to share who your insurers are?

As many are similar price come renewal time, it can be good to have other options on which to base a choice :)

Paul

pochisoldi
Lemon Slice

Postby pochisoldi » April 25th, 2023, 8:29 pm

DrFfybes wrote:Care to share who your insurers are?

As many are similar price come renewal time, it can be good to have other options on which to base a choice :)

Paul

Same neck of the woods as Alan Partridge... ;)

As I said on the phone this morning "you only find out how good an insurer is when you make a claim, and so far it's not good".

Return to “Legal Issues (Practical)”