Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to DrFfybes,smokey01,bungeejumper,stockton,Anonymous, for Donating to support the site

Advice on selling 'part-share' of property left in probate.

including wills and probate
Mooly

Advice on selling 'part-share' of property left in probate.

Postby Mooly » February 14th, 2023, 9:07 am

My dad passed away 18 months ago and his estate has taken ages to progress - mainly due to his second wife who is contesting everything!

She was left 50% of his house, with the remaining 50% split between my sister, me and his wife (so me and my sister own a third) The wife has offered to buy our share - at a rate below market value we don't agree on.

We don't want to just give it away, so could we call her bluff and insist it's put onto the market? Also are we entitled to start charging her rent in the meantime for our third - and can we back-date this to when he died 18 months ago?

We just want this resolved asap, but want what is fair - so any help appreciated? Cheers

didds
Lemon Half

Re: Advice on selling 'part-share' of property left in probate.

Postby didds » February 14th, 2023, 10:06 am

IANAL but it strikes me that as she is expecting you to accept a non market rate for the house sale, she shouldn't be able to expect to only be charged a market rate rent IF you are able to do so.

Suggest 10K a month rent, backdated maybe, should stir her into action ;-)

Adamski
Lemon Quarter

Postby Adamski » February 14th, 2023, 10:25 am

I'd suggest 3 valuations by different estate agents, which may have to pay for, and take an average of the 3 as the value, and put transfer through a solicitor.

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gerry557 » February 14th, 2023, 11:05 am

Try reversing the argument and offer to buy her share at the same rate.

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » February 14th, 2023, 11:10 am

Gerry557 wrote:Try reversing the argument and offer to buy her share at the same rate.

I like that

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » February 14th, 2023, 11:22 am

Mooly wrote:My dad passed away 18 months ago and his estate has taken ages to progress - mainly due to his second wife who is contesting everything!

She was left 50% of his house, with the remaining 50% split between my sister, me and his wife (so me and my sister own a third) The wife has offered to buy our share - at a rate below market value we don't agree on.

Surely you and your sister have 1/6th not 1/3, as well as “his wife”(?) - the first one or the second one who has 50%.

Anyway it seems like he had a pretty rubbish will drawn up that either didn’t explicitly say whether the second wife could remain in the home during her lifetime (and whether rent free) or if it didn’t that meant the property had to be sold to make the necessary settlements and his second wife was aware of that.

As for the below market rate - depends how much. Get lawyers involved and likely they will cost far more than any small market rate difference.

Mooly

Postby Mooly » February 14th, 2023, 11:31 am

Gerry557 wrote:Try reversing the argument and offer to buy her share at the same rate.

We had thought of that as an option - and could probably get the cash together too. I think that will be our next move and call her bluff?

Mooly

Postby Mooly » February 14th, 2023, 11:33 am

AF62 wrote:
Mooly wrote:My dad passed away 18 months ago and his estate has taken ages to progress - mainly due to his second wife who is contesting everything!

Surely you and your sister have 1/6th not 1/3, as well as “his wife”(?) - the first one or the second one who has 50%.

Anyway it seems like he had a pretty rubbish will drawn up that either didn’t explicitly say whether the second wife could remain in the home during her lifetime (and whether rent free) or if it didn’t that meant the property had to be sold to make the necessary settlements and his second wife was aware of that.

As for the below market rate - depends how much. Get lawyers involved and likely they will cost far more than any small market rate difference.

You're right - but i meant 1/3 between myself and my sister. And yes, his will is a bit suspect and was changed around the time his contracted dementia, but it's hard to prove that as it was signed by him.

Mooly

Postby Mooly » February 14th, 2023, 11:34 am

didds wrote:IANAL but it strikes me that as she is expecting you to accept a non market rate for the house sale, she shouldn't be able to expect to only be charged a market rate rent IF you are able to do so.

Suggest 10K a month rent, backdated maybe, should stir her into action ;-)

We are thinking the 'rent' route too - but didn't know how we'd go about it?

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » February 14th, 2023, 11:40 am

AF62 wrote:

Irrespective of the current situation, as AF62 has said, there is a lesson for us all there. When drawing up a Will, make sure that you are clear about what you want to happen. Dividing property ownership like that is a recipe for dispute without clear direction in the Will.

Dod

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » February 14th, 2023, 11:45 am

https://www.inheritancedisputes.co.uk/n ... iving.html

Short 1 page article mentions Occupation Rent and Order for Sale. ( free consultation which might outline possible steps/ cost).

The next article is pessimistic (from your point of view).

https://www.webuyanyhouse.co.uk/blog/ca ... ty-140094/

I'd look at the rent income side of things. After all, you own a share. She might counter with "you should pay your share of council tax, water rates, standing charges".

You are going to need professional ( ££) advice!

Mooly

Postby Mooly » February 14th, 2023, 12:55 pm

monabri wrote:
Short 1 page article mentions Occupation Rent and Order for Sale. ( free consultation which might outline possible steps/ cost).

The next article is pessimistic (from your point of view).

I'd look at the rent income side of things. After all, you own a share. She might counter with "you should pay your share of council tax, water rates, standing charges".

You are going to need professional ( ££) advice!

Thanks for the links - much appreciated.

pochisoldi
Lemon Slice

Postby pochisoldi » February 14th, 2023, 4:02 pm

monabri wrote:I'd look at the rent income side of things. After all, you own a share. She might counter with "you should pay your share of council tax, water rates, standing charges".

Liability for Council tax, water and utilities would fall on the ex if she is living in the property, and IMHO could only be equitably split if the co-owners were also living under the same roof.

hiriskpaul
Lemon Quarter

Postby hiriskpaul » February 14th, 2023, 6:54 pm

IMHO you should take legal advice asap. That will put the matter on a more business-like basis.

ps, I suspect this will end up with solicitors involved and the sooner you get moving on that the better.

pps, was a RICS survey not carried out for probate?

GoSeigen
Lemon Quarter

Postby GoSeigen » February 14th, 2023, 9:28 pm

Mooly wrote:You're right - but i meant 1/3 between myself and my sister. And yes, his will is a bit suspect and was changed around the time his contracted dementia, but it's hard to prove that as it was signed by him.

Sheesh, why do people do this? My dad changed his will three months before serious dementia symptoms and left everything to his ex-wife who'd divorced him a couple of years prior. Nothing for his children or grand children.

GS

Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clitheroekid » February 16th, 2023, 6:16 pm

Who are the executors?

Return to “Legal Issues (Practical)”