Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to DrFfybes,smokey01,bungeejumper,stockton,Anonymous, for Donating to support the site

Waitrose lost the dry cleaning

including wills and probate
88V8
Lemon Half

Waitrose lost the dry cleaning

Postby 88V8 » January 13th, 2023, 6:25 pm

On December 4th, took a friend's duvet to Waitrose for dry cleaning.
They have a tie-up with Johnsons.
Today she has been advised by Johnsons that her duvet is lost.
It was quite expensive but she does not have the receipt.

I presume that as the contract was with Waitrose they are bound to compensate her?

Hopefully they will not try to wriggle out of it as she lost her husband just before Christmas and does not need the aggravation.
How to determine an appropriate amount when one has no receipt....

V8

Lootman
The full Lemon

Re: Waitrose lost the dry cleaning

Postby Lootman » January 13th, 2023, 6:31 pm

88V8 wrote:How to determine an appropriate amount when one has no receipt....

Can you/she look up what the current retail price of such an item is? Or its closest equivalent? At John Lewis since they are part of the same entity as Waitrose and maybe they would give you a credit at JL.

That would be the amount I would use in a claim, since that is what it will cost to replace it, given that there isn't much of a second-hand market in duvets.

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » January 13th, 2023, 11:25 pm

88V8 wrote:On December 4th, took a friend's duvet to Waitrose for dry cleaning.
It was quite expensive but she does not have the receipt.

I presume that as the contract was with Waitrose they are bound to compensate her?

Hopefully they will not try to wriggle out of it as she lost her husband just before Christmas and does not need the aggravation.
How to determine an appropriate amount when one has no receipt....

V8

Does she know where she purchased it from? It just may show on her bank account. My electronic account goes back 7 years I think. Although don't quote me as I could be wrong :oops: If not does she know the make? If she does she can tell them the make and size and ask for an amount to replace that.

I thought Dry Cleaners usually note what they have taken from their customers in some detail for occassions like this?

AiY(D)

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » January 13th, 2023, 11:40 pm

88V8 wrote:On December 4th, took a friend's duvet to Waitrose for dry cleaning.

And ... ?

"I'm sorry but your item has been lost and we can offer you compensation of £x..." or
"I'm sorry but your item has been lost and if you contact our customer service line we will supply a replacement" or just
"I'm sorry but your item has been lost. Sorry"

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » January 14th, 2023, 9:54 am

Commiserations to your friend, V8. Timpsons lost our duvet last autumn, but it turned out that they'd actually just "lost" :lol: the paperwork. In fact the spotty youth who took it in had been too busy to write down any of the details we gave him, or our contact details either. So it had kicked around the system for a month, cleaned but lost, with nothing but an ID tag which meant nothing to them because they had no record that the number belonged to us. :|

Several (repairable) tears in the duvet when they finally tracked it down at my insistence. It was all annoyingly casual, considering that it had cost us £29 up front for the dry cleaning in the first place. That was probably more than the damn thing had cost when we originally bought it!

BJ

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » January 14th, 2023, 10:23 am

88V8 wrote:I presume that as the contract was with Waitrose they are bound to compensate her?

Was it?

Or was the contract with Johnsons with Waitrose acting as agent for Johnsons. Presumably the in-store receipt will say.

88V8 wrote:It was quite expensive but she does not have the receipt.

Ten years ago Johnsons would pay out up to £100 without a receipt, unless you complained to the press and then they would pay the full amount - https://www.theguardian.com/money/2013/ ... s-cleaners

Return to “Legal Issues (Practical)”