Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to DrFfybes,smokey01,bungeejumper,stockton,Anonymous, for Donating to support the site

A tale of a telephone box

including wills and probate
newlyretired
2 Lemon pips

Re: A tale of a telephone box

Postby newlyretired » November 29th, 2022, 12:25 am

I'm not sure if it's helpful in this context, but there is a Land Registry lookalike site which was mentioned some time ago by Clitheroekid and which provides copies of Land Registry plot boundaries:

https://www.landregistry-uk.com/map-search

newlyretired

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » November 29th, 2022, 1:17 am

newlyretired wrote:I'm not sure if it's helpful in this context, but there is a Land Registry lookalike site which was mentioned some time ago by Clitheroekid and which provides copies of Land Registry plot boundaries:

newlyretired

Ahem, yes, for four times the price. :o And the boundaries overlay on the map are, well, crap; they slice through houses in some cases! (And cases I know and show properly on the Land Registry site....).

Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clitheroekid » November 30th, 2022, 2:27 pm

newlyretired wrote:I'm not sure if it's helpful in this context, but there is a Land Registry lookalike site which was mentioned some time ago by Clitheroekid and which provides copies of Land Registry plot boundaries:

newlyretired

That website is a rip-off. It provides the same service as the LR site, but at grossly inflated prices. It's like one of those sites that pretends it's an official DVLA / Passport Office site and charges you twice as much as the official fee.

I'm always amazed that the official LR site hasn't had them closed down :evil:

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » November 30th, 2022, 9:20 pm

Clitheroekid wrote:

my vague recollection of these sort of sites (ISTR passport application sites?) have some weasel words in the T&Cs that get them out of accusations of fraud etc and allow them yto continue trading and ripping people off. TBH I think I gleaned that recollection from reading posts and threads here (or TMF?).

didds

newlyretired
2 Lemon pips

Postby newlyretired » December 1st, 2022, 5:21 pm

Clitheroekid wrote:

newlyretired

That website is a rip-off. It provides the same service as the LR site, but at grossly inflated prices. It's like one of those sites that pretends it's an official DVLA / Passport Office site and charges you twice as much as the official fee.

Hi CK

Yes, I know it's a rip-off - you pointed that out when you first flagged up the site (on TMF?) but you also pointed out that this is a free source of (not entirely accurate) mapping of boundaries of plots from the Land Registry.

newlyretired

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » December 1st, 2022, 9:19 pm

newlyretired wrote:
Clitheroekid wrote:

newlyretired

Hi CK

Yes, I know it's a rip-off - you pointed that out when you first flagged up the site (on TMF?) but you also pointed out that this is a free source of (not entirely accurate) mapping of boundaries of plots from the Land Registry.

newlyretired

Maybe so but you can get free and accurate from https://search-property-information.service.gov.uk/search/map-search/find-by-address

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » December 2nd, 2022, 12:21 am

Clitheroekid wrote:

Being a .com site I doubt the LR has any such power.

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » December 2nd, 2022, 1:31 am

Mike4 wrote:
Clitheroekid wrote:I'm always amazed that the official LR site hasn't had them closed down :evil:

Being a .com site I doubt the LR has any such power.

Has no real relevance.

Seems they're not the only ones: https://www.landregistrytitledeeds.co.uk/, https://www.landregisteronline.org.uk/, http://ww1.uklrs.co.uk/, all charging inflated prices.

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » December 2nd, 2022, 10:39 am

mc2fool wrote:Maybe so but you can get free and accurate from https://search-property-information.service.gov.uk/search/map-search/find-by-address

Oooh, so you can.
And it can be enlarged... oooh missus...
And it's more up to date than the plan I paid £3 for at LR.

On that site, part of my boundary adjacent a farmer's field is dotted - what does that mean?

V8

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » December 2nd, 2022, 10:56 am

88V8 wrote:
mc2fool wrote:Maybe so but you can get free and accurate from https://search-property-information.service.gov.uk/search/map-search/find-by-address

Oooh, so you can.

On that site, part of my boundary adjacent a farmer's field is dotted - what does that mean?

V8

Yeah, I'd like to know that too! There's dashed lines, both short dashes and long dashes, but no explanation that I can find of them.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » December 2nd, 2022, 11:04 am

My plot has continuous straight lines all round it even although 'on the ground' the boundary is not very distinctly marked.

I think judging by the broken lies on some plots near to me that the plot may not be officially registered with the LR and so they have not been able to define the exact plot. In Scotland at least, the registration with the LR is only being done as plots change hands. Otherwise they rely on old paperwork and what is known as the Register of Sasines in Scotland which is the old fashioned 'deeds'.

Certainly those plots which have unbroken lines around them have like mine, changed hands in the last 20 or so years. The others have not.

Dod

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » December 2nd, 2022, 11:09 am

mc2fool wrote:
88V8 wrote:

Yeah, I'd like to know that too! There's dashed lines, both short dashes and long dashes, but no explanation that I can find of them.

Maybe it refers to the former state of the fence ,which we had replaced because we were afraid our neighbours would come visiting

Sorry, o/t, but I think the OP is allowed.....

V8

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » December 2nd, 2022, 12:08 pm

mc2fool wrote:
88V8 wrote:

Oooh, so you can.

V8

I think lines are a physical boundary, and dashes are a visual/historic one. Our house hasn't had a conservatory for many years, but it is shown dotted on the plan. Our garden fence is a line, however the border on the other side between us and the lane is dotted. It also handily shows the bit between our fence and the lane further down is ours with a solid line. There were 20 Lleylandii thre when e moved in. We removed them and the farm vehicles are getting closer to the fence that was behind them. There are some ol trees on there, chestnut, oak, that are obviously 100+ years old.

At our last place there were 3 differing maps showing our boundary to the road - the planning one, land registry, and deeds. When we moved in the road was unregistered, then a resident's committee decided to register and maintain it. That caused a lot of people problems come sale time :(

Paul

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » December 2nd, 2022, 2:03 pm

Dod101 wrote:I think judging by the broken lies on some plots near to me that the plot may not be officially registered with the LR ...

DrFfybes wrote:I think lines are a physical boundary, and dashes are a visual/historic one.

Hmmm ... not convinced by either explanation!

We have solid lines all around our boundary where they should be except where we have a sort of dead space corner formed by three sides of a rectangle between our garage block and two neighbours and one side, around 6th long, to one neighbour, is long dashed, for no reason that can think off.

Also, we have a gravel driveway up to and in front of the garage block which, looking from above, looks somewhat like a golf club or ladle from the side, and that's outlined accurately, within the straight lined boundary, by short dashes.

And long dashes are used for the edge of roads (the drivable part of the street) and short dashes for other "features", albeit not always clear what.

To observe one that we all can without giving away our addresses, look at SW1A 2AA (10 Downing Street) and zoom out just enough so that you can still see the dashes. The Downing Street road is marked in short dashes, much like our gated driveway, although not gravelled. ;)

Now move SSE to Portcullis House, which is on top of Westminster tube station, and see the short dashes going NE-SW which, if you follow them, are clearly the path of the Circle & District lines! The deep tube lines, however, aren't shown....

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » December 2nd, 2022, 2:16 pm

I have a longish boundary on to the public road. There is no made up pavement but a grass verge which belongs I think to the Council, although owners maintain it, and then the road. On my plan there is a hard line at my boundary and then a short dash line where the verge meets the public road.

My explanation seems to work for my little area but that may just be coincidence. Anyway, it is a very helpful site, thank you.

Dod

Return to “Legal Issues (Practical)”