Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to DrFfybes,smokey01,bungeejumper,stockton,Anonymous, for Donating to support the site

Divorce advice

including wills and probate
melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Re: Divorce advice

Postby melonfool » December 20th, 2016, 3:36 pm

pompeygazza wrote:Thank you for the excellent advice.

Although I could lend him the money I'm loathe to do so as he really needs to wise up (and grow up) on the financial front and so a bit of pain may help focus matters.

I shall look into a broker and then get him to make her an offer.

I'll report back how it ends up.

Just a small thing that is bugging me though - you say he never has any money, how come there was £5k in the joint account for her to take? How much did she leave in there? This could be a marital asset if there is other money in there. I mean, I assume she worked and paid her way, did they have joint savings?

I agree with you re lending money - my sister is going through a split (which will lead to divorce) and is penniless. I am loathe to lend her money as she's never been good with it. I lent them money during the marriage at various points. It's a minefield. I prefer to do practical things - I bought her an ipad (I don't even have one myself!) so she could split out all her accounts, photos, music etc from the ex-h.

Mel

pompeygazza
Lemon Pip

Postby pompeygazza » December 20th, 2016, 4:11 pm

The reason there was 5k in there is that it was was left over from the inheritance.

They continued to operate a joint account (don't ask me why, he's a tool) for about 6 months after she left with her bills also being taken from there (which were considerably more than his as she is renting).

They had/have no savings as they're both rubbish with money and really don't understand the reality of life.

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » December 20th, 2016, 4:31 pm

pompeygazza wrote:The reason there was 5k in there is that it was was left over from the inheritance.

They continued to operate a joint account (don't ask me why, he's a tool) for about 6 months after she left with her bills also being taken from there (which were considerably more than his as she is renting).

They had/have no savings as they're both rubbish with money and really don't understand the reality of life.

OK, so the fact it was from the inheritance needs to be taken into account in any offer.

Mel

Return to “Legal Issues (Practical)”