Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to smokey01,bungeejumper,stockton,Anonymous,bruncher, for Donating to support the site

Why DB pension increase of 22% in 8 months?

dundas666
2 Lemon pips

Why DB pension increase of 22% in 8 months?

Postby dundas666 » June 22nd, 2024, 6:06 pm

Hi all, I chose to defer putting a workplace DB pension into drawdown last July when I turned 60, but am thinking of taking it now.

So I recently requested a Benefit Statement which I received yesterday, however when comparing it to one I got last October 2023 I was very surprised to see that my projected monthly income has increased 22% in 8 months, from £359pm to £439pm.

1) Why would this happen - how on earth could it change so much in such a short time?
    2) Could it go back down again? :o
    3) If I put my pension into drawdown, could it then go down again, or is it then more-or-less fixed (apart from inflation linking)?
    4) If I continued to defer would I get similar increases, or is it because of something else?

Also the transfer value changed from £77k to £98k in that same 8 months. :?

is this all because of interest rates?

Many thanks for any help clearing this up.
Pete

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Re: Why DB pension increase of 22% in 8 months?

Postby mc2fool » June 22nd, 2024, 7:13 pm

dundas666 wrote:Hi all, I chose to defer putting a workplace DB pension into drawdown last July when I turned 60, but am thinking of taking it now.

So I recently requested a Benefit Statement which I received yesterday, however when comparing it to one I got last October 2023 I was very surprised to see that my projected monthly income has increased 22% in 8 months, from £359pm to £439pm.

1) Why would this happen - how on earth could it change so much in such a short time?
    2) Could it go back down again? :o
    3) If I put my pension into drawdown, could it then go down again, or is it then more-or-less fixed (apart from inflation linking)?
    4) If I continued to defer would I get similar increases, or is it because of something else?

Also the transfer value changed from £77k to £98k in that same 8 months. :?

is this all because of interest rates?

Yes, no, maybe. ;)

The change in transfer value will be affected by interest rates, although that may not be the reason for the whole of the change, esp. considering the change in income.

The income provided is not affected by interest rates but is dependent on the scheme rules and various statutory rules and revaluations. It can get quite complicated and I suggest you contact the scheme and ask them for the basis for calculating the pension is payment. Hopefully they'll have something readable to give you. My guess is that a good part of the 22% increase will be 'cos you've crossed some age and/or date threshold, but there will also be revaluation increases.

If you want to get an idea this article is a little old but still a useful primer. https://www.barnett-waddingham.co.uk/comment-insight/blog/revaluation-for-early-leavers/

This is more modern and also useful. https://researchbriefings.files.parliament.uk/documents/SN05656/SN05656.pdf

puffster
2 Lemon pips

Postby puffster » June 22nd, 2024, 9:23 pm

Did you get a large promoted and get a significant pay rise (beyond the usual RPI/CPI or whatever linkage)? That might do it.

Regards, Puffster

MuddyBoots
Lemon Slice

Postby MuddyBoots » June 22nd, 2024, 9:48 pm

Out of interest, how does drawdown work with a DB pension? I thought it applied to DC. Or is it to do with transferring out of DB?

pochisoldi
Lemon Slice

Postby pochisoldi » June 22nd, 2024, 10:11 pm

MuddyBoots wrote:Out of interest, how does drawdown work with a DB pension? I thought it applied to DC. Or is it to do with transferring out of DB?

I think OP meant that they were going to "start drawing" their DB pension, as in switch from deferment to payment.

dundas666
2 Lemon pips

Postby dundas666 » June 23rd, 2024, 10:31 am

pochisoldi wrote:
MuddyBoots wrote:Out of interest, how does drawdown work with a DB pension? I thought it applied to DC. Or is it to do with transferring out of DB?

I think OP meant that they were going to "start drawing" their DB pension, as in switch from deferment to payment.

Yes that's right, I could have started taking my DB pension last year but deferred, and was considering switching to payment.

dundas666
2 Lemon pips

Postby dundas666 » June 23rd, 2024, 10:33 am

puffster wrote:Did you get a large promoted and get a significant pay rise (beyond the usual RPI/CPI or whatever linkage)? That might do it.

Regards, Puffster

I highly doubt it because I left the company 35 years ago! :)

dundas666
2 Lemon pips

Postby dundas666 » June 23rd, 2024, 10:56 am

mc2fool wrote:
dundas666 wrote:Hi all, I chose to defer putting a workplace DB pension into drawdown last July when I turned 60, but am thinking of taking it now ... is this all because of interest rates?

Yes, no, maybe. ;)

The change in transfer value will be affected by interest rates, although that may not be the reason for the whole of the change, esp. considering the change in income.

The income provided is not affected by interest rates but is dependent on the scheme rules and various statutory rules and revaluations. It can get quite complicated and I suggest you contact the scheme and ask them for the basis for calculating the pension is payment. Hopefully they'll have something readable to give you. My guess is that a good part of the 22% increase will be 'cos you've crossed some age and/or date threshold, but there will also be revaluation increases.

If you want to get an idea this article is a little old but still a useful primer. https://www.barnett-waddingham.co.uk/comment-insight/blog/revaluation-for-early-leavers/

This is more modern and also useful. https://researchbriefings.files.parliament.uk/documents/SN05656/SN05656.pdf

Thanks for that, I'll have a look at those links.

Another thing I discovered in my recent Benefit Statement is that if I take the 25% tax free lump sum then my income will fall 35%. The lump sum would have to yield 7.5% to make up the fall in income. I'd love to move this DB pension - or at least part of it - into my SIPP so my kids can inherit it, but I feel I'm being blocked at every turn.

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » June 23rd, 2024, 12:05 pm

dundas666 wrote:Another thing I discovered in my recent Benefit Statement is that if I take the 25% tax free lump sum then my income will fall 35%. The lump sum would have to yield 7.5% to make up the fall in income. I'd love to move this DB pension - or at least part of it - into my SIPP so my kids can inherit it, but I feel I'm being blocked at every turn.

Yeah, transferring out is pretty difficult nowadays. As the transfer value is over £30K you'll have to get regulated independent advice on it and the default for IFAs is to recommend against a transfer and most IFAs will do that in most cases. That didn't used to be a show stopper in itself but nowadays there are a decreasing number of SIPP providers (indeed, if any?) that will accept "insistent clients", i.e. ones that want to transfer against IFA advice.

And the sting is that the IFA will charge you for the advice regardless of what it is, and 2-3% of the transfer value is typical and often with a minimum, so good chance you will end up paying several thousand £ and the IFA will say "no". The days of no-transfer-no-fee are long gone.

To get back to your pension itself: do your statements give you a breakdown? I'd hope to see at least pre-88 GMP at date of leaving, post-88 GMP at d.o.l. and pre- and post-85 excess over GMP at d.o.l., and then to see each of those revalued either to-date (or, at least, to most recent revaluation date) or to the projected date of taking the pension.

As you left the scheme in 1989 (ish) the GMP components will either be revalued by a fixed 7.5%pa or by national average earnings (Section 148 orders), depending on the scheme rules, although for the last year it doesn't make much difference as the latter was 7.6%, so they're much of a muchness (https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2024/284/made).

The pre-85 excess won't be revalued at all and the post-85 will be revalued by The Occupational Pensions (Revaluation) Orders, which gave an increase of around 5% over the last year. (https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2023/1265/made)

None of that is going to account for the 22% increase, although note that what I'm referring to are the statutory increases; schemes can choose to be more generous (although not many do!). However, it's unlikely they'll be that generous, which is why I reckon that you've crossed some age and/or date threshold.

In regards to your questions, other than (1).

"2) Could it go back down again?"
Unlikely I'd have thought, but do get and check the scheme rules.

"3) If I put my pension into drawdown, could it then go down again, or is it then more-or-less fixed (apart from inflation linking)?"
Once in payment the pre-88 GMP component will receive no increases, the post-88 GMP component will receive increases of CPI capped at 3% and the excess over GMP component will receive no increases (there is no legal requirement for schemes to provide indexation of pension rights accrued before 1997). Again, these are the statutory minimums, your scheme may be more generous. If it is it's most likely to be around the excess over GMP component.

"4) If I continued to defer would I get similar increases, or is it because of something else?"
Again, get and check the scheme rules.

Return to “Pensions - Practical Problems”