Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to DrFfybes,smokey01,bungeejumper,stockton,Anonymous, for Donating to support the site

Sainsbury (J) (SBRY) - First Quarter Trading Statement for the 16 weeks to 22 June 2024.

For discussion of the practicalities of setting up and operating income-portfolios which follow the HYP Group Guidelines. READ Guidelines before posting
Forum rules
Tight HYP discussions only please - OT please discuss in strategies
idpickering
The full Lemon

Sainsbury (J) (SBRY) - First Quarter Trading Statement for the 16 weeks to 22 June 2024.

Postby idpickering » July 2nd, 2024, 8:15 am

Trading Highlights

Strong sustained Grocery momentum with a second year of volume growth as customers continue to respond to our value, innovation and leading quality. Volume growth has remained strong as inflation has slowed, despite tough weather comparatives in recent weeks
Biggest market share gains of any grocer during the quarter1 with consistent net switching gains2 as more customers choose Sainsbury's for their main shop3
Sainsbury's General Merchandise and Clothing performance reflects improvement in clothing trend offset by weaker seasonal general merchandise sales
Argos sales declined against a particularly strong comparative period with significantly lower seasonal sales and weaker Consumer Electronics demand, notably in Gaming
Commenced previously announced £200 million share buyback programme, to be completed in FY24/25
Additionally expect to return at least £250 million to shareholders once the sale of Sainsbury's Bank's Core Banking Business to NatWest has completed and the future model for Argos Financial Services is in place
Continue to expect FY24/25 Retail underlying operating profit of between £1,010 million and £1,060 million, growth of between five per cent and ten per cent versus FY23/24, and to generate at least £500 million of Retail free cash flow

https://www.investegate.co.uk/announcem ... nt/8289133

Also posted on Company News here; viewtopic.php?p=672061#p672061

SBRY are down 1.5% on market opening in UK thus far, so the dividend yield's gone up ;).

I don't hold these in my HYP, but I think some here do, so this may be of interest here.

Ian.

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Re: Sainsbury (J) (SBRY) - First Quarter Trading Statement for the 16 weeks to 22 June 2024.

Postby kempiejon » July 2nd, 2024, 1:22 pm

Cheers Ian, I have a leftover holding in Sainsbury's. I started building in 2013. That autumn I took a part time job with them delivering groceries so diched top ups. I decided against investing in my employer as they paid me a salary I didn't want them for dividends. Shortly after that they cut the dividend too. Probably one of my smaller holdings these days and unlikely to be toped up. High yield but shaky dividend history and poor dividend growth currently rule them out for more money. At 13p dividend last year they are still adrift of the 16/17p I got in 2013/4 when they'd delivered 9 years of growth.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Re: Sainsbury (J) (SBRY) - First Quarter Trading Statement for the 16 weeks to 22 June 2024.

Postby idpickering » July 2nd, 2024, 3:07 pm

kempiejon wrote:Cheers Ian, I have a leftover holding in Sainsbury's. I started building in 2013. That autumn I took a part time job with them delivering groceries so diched top ups. I decided against investing in my employer as they paid me a salary I didn't want them for dividends. Shortly after that they cut the dividend too. Probably one of my smaller holdings these days and unlikely to be toped up. High yield but shaky dividend history and poor dividend growth currently rule them out for more money. At 13p dividend last year they are still adrift of the 16/17p I got in 2013/4 when they'd delivered 9 years of growth.

Thanks for your interesting input, and you're welcome. Have a thanks/rec on me.

Ian.

Return to “HYP Practical (See Group Guidelines)”