Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to smokey01,bungeejumper,stockton,Anonymous,bruncher, for Donating to support the site

Trousers pockets too short

Making your money go further
MrFoolish
Lemon Quarter

Trousers pockets too short

Postby MrFoolish » June 13th, 2024, 7:15 pm

I have some casual trousers which I quite like. But annoyingly the front pockets are too short. Why do they do this? My phone could easily fall out. It's up there on my list of life's grievances along with not having Sky TV.

Should I just give them up as a bad job? I suppose I could get them professionally altered but they were fairly cheap to begin with. I can sew a bit but I'm not very good at it.

88V8
Lemon Half

Re: Trousers pockets too short

Postby 88V8 » June 13th, 2024, 7:31 pm

MrFoolish wrote:I have some casual trousers which I quite like. But annoyingly the front pockets are too short.
Should I just give them up as a bad job? I can sew a bit but I'm not very good at it.

Practice makes perfect.
Or you could wear a sporranwith them.

V8

GrahamPlatt
Lemon Quarter

Postby GrahamPlatt » June 13th, 2024, 7:34 pm

Swap ‘em with a deep-pocketed, short-armed friend.

Watis
Lemon Quarter

Postby Watis » June 13th, 2024, 7:35 pm

Or you could carry your phone in one of those natty pouches you clip to your belt.

Watis

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gerry557 » June 13th, 2024, 7:42 pm

Man bag ? :shock:

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Postby Urbandreamer » June 13th, 2024, 7:43 pm

MrFoolish wrote:I have some casual trousers which I quite like. But annoyingly the front pockets are too short. Why do they do this? My phone could easily fall out. It's up there on my list of life's grievances along with not having Sky TV.

Should I just give them up as a bad job? I suppose I could get them professionally altered but they were fairly cheap to begin with. I can sew a bit but I'm not very good at it.

Dare I point out that you are on a slippery slope to madness?

I am not young, and many of my contemporaries complain that mobile phones these days are too big.
I point out that these days we use the devices as computers or pocket TV's and they stare at me.
I'm also not that old that I don't recognize "cargo" pant's, or even pants that have a pocket for your rule (the pocket is normally 8" deep, but narrow).

However I have a solution! I carry my phone in a case attached to a belt. Well, I say that it's a solution, but you no doubt will tell me that the trousers don't have belt hooks.

OH here is a vid.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhf8l90cpyQ
We are ALL better at sewing than we think. It's juts another form of DIY.

MrFoolish
Lemon Quarter

Postby MrFoolish » June 13th, 2024, 7:58 pm

Urbandreamer wrote:OH here is a vid.

Thanks for vid. Does she also demonstrate brain surgery? :shock: :lol: I know my limits!

Dicky99
Lemon Slice

Postby Dicky99 » June 13th, 2024, 8:02 pm

Perhaps you should think outside the box...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mobile-Smalles ... ca6931659f

:D

MrFoolish
Lemon Quarter

Postby MrFoolish » June 13th, 2024, 8:09 pm

Dicky99 wrote:Perhaps you should think outside the box...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mobile-Smalles ... ca6931659f

:D

I can't even type accurately on my full size phone. I do wonder if there's a trick to typing better (kids seem to manage it) but maybe one for another thread...

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Postby Urbandreamer » June 13th, 2024, 8:20 pm

MrFoolish wrote:
Urbandreamer wrote:OH here is a vid.

Thanks for vid. Does she also demonstrate brain surgery? :shock: :lol: I know my limits!

I doubt that she does brain surgery. DIY brain surgery sort of went out in the 70's.
https://sshm.org/bore-holes-trepanation ... s-britain/
Huges recounts anaesthetising his forehead, cutting into the skin to reach the skull, and pressing the drill-head against his frontal bone.[1] A few minutes later, Huges had completed the first documented self-trepanation of the twentieth century.

HOWEVER I think that you can buy self help books to help if you want to start.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/yourself-Brain ... 0584971044

Seriously though, I'd stick to sewing, knitting etc.

Then again.
Heinlein wrote:A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.

Oh BTW, I delivered my middle child (though that was not intended by any of us). Believe me, you CAN sewl

MrFoolish
Lemon Quarter

Postby MrFoolish » June 13th, 2024, 8:28 pm

Urbandreamer wrote:Oh BTW, I delivered my middle child (though that was not intended by any of us). Believe me, you CAN sewl

I just need the special de-stitching tool, the zig zag scissors, the pizza cutter and the sewing machine and I'll be good to go :lol:

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Postby Urbandreamer » June 13th, 2024, 8:51 pm

MrFoolish wrote:
Urbandreamer wrote:Oh BTW, I delivered my middle child (though that was not intended by any of us). Believe me, you CAN sewl

I just need the special de-stitching tool, the zig zag scissors, the pizza cutter and the sewing machine and I'll be good to go :lol:

To be fair your don't. They just make it easier. I have one of those de-stitching tools (they are cheap) and seldom use it. It's obviously a specialized tool that makes exactly ONE job easier, assuming that you can be bothered to get it from where you left it. Likewise I don't have Zig Zag scissors (pinking shears). Again a special tool to save time. There are alternatives, and if you look at anything you ware you will know that the alternatives are used more often outside of DIY. Pizza cutter, come on! Doesn't every one use a knife to both cut pizza and cloth to repair pockets? Use what you have, scissors must work as I don't have a "rotory" cutter that isn't used for pizza.

Sewing machine? Ok, that's valid. You CAN hand sew. However at that point the cost benefit points to going to the shops, looking online or actually specifying a pair of trousers made to order (the latter is cheaper than you think these days).

Even I buy socks, unless I (rarely) want the joy of knitting them myself.

Stompa
Lemon Slice

Postby Stompa » June 13th, 2024, 9:53 pm

When I was a kid my mum would use iron on pockets to fix worn out ones, like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkAm3zFIfvg

I imagine you could probably use the same technique to extend pockets too, with no sewing required. They worked pretty well, unlike her (not so) clever idea of replacing broken trouser zips with velcro!

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Postby Urbandreamer » June 13th, 2024, 10:03 pm

Stompa wrote:When I was a kid my mum would use iron on pockets to fix worn out ones, like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkAm3zFIfvg

I imagine you could probably use the same technique to extend pockets too, with no sewing required. They worked pretty well, unlike her (not so) clever idea of replacing broken trouser zips with velcro!

They work even better now that we use lower temperatures in the wash.
Seriously while I'm a fan of a more permanent modification, this may be a very sensible option to extend pockets.

MrFoolish
Lemon Quarter

Postby MrFoolish » June 13th, 2024, 10:36 pm

The iron on pockets look like a good idea, thanks. I suppose I could add a few stitches too for extra security. They don't have to look good.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » June 13th, 2024, 10:42 pm

Urbandreamer wrote:I'm also not that old that I don't recognize "cargo" pant's, or even pants that have a pocket for your rule (the pocket is normally 8" deep, but narrow).

I have several pairs of "cargo" trousers but I draw the line at cargo pants. Especially pants with pockets.

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Postby Urbandreamer » June 14th, 2024, 7:56 am

Mike4 wrote:
Urbandreamer wrote:I'm also not that old that I don't recognize "cargo" pant's, or even pants that have a pocket for your rule (the pocket is normally 8" deep, but narrow).

I have several pairs of "cargo" trousers but I draw the line at cargo pants. Especially pants with pockets.

Ah the vagaries of Southern English, Northern English and American English.

Puddings are not always a desert (black pudding, Yorkshire pudding, peas pudding).
Pants can refer to either trousers or underpants.
There is also a F pronounced in lieutenant.

".... in the North West in particular, where 49% of speakers use pants. In the South of England, this figure drops to a strikingly low 3%."
https://www.ourdialects.uk/maps/clothing/
I should possibly stress that the word "use" in this sentence does not mean wear, since we have enough confusion.

MrFoolish
Lemon Quarter

Postby MrFoolish » June 14th, 2024, 8:03 am

Urbandreamer wrote:Ah the vagaries of Southern English, Northern English and American English.

I've found a lot of people in the south of England are surprisingly ignorant of varying word usage across the country.

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » June 14th, 2024, 8:43 am

MrFoolish wrote:
Urbandreamer wrote:Ah the vagaries of Southern English, Northern English and American English.

I've found a lot of people in the south of England are surprisingly ignorant of varying word usage across the country.

That'll be all them furriners.

TJH

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » June 14th, 2024, 8:47 am

I was talking about muffins just yesterday - what I grew up with as muffins were a small round bready savoury - well not sweet - baked product. Then these little cakes, blueberry or choco-chip iced (frosted) small in individual paper cases were called muffins. So now those original muffins are described as English muffins or breakfast muffins to differentiate. I'm not sure when I had to add the extra word to describe what I thought of as muffins as distinct from what others were now calling muffins.

Return to “Living Below Your Means”