Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to DrFfybes,smokey01,bungeejumper,stockton,Anonymous, for Donating to support the site

Tracking Finances in a digital contactless world?

Making your money go further
Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Re: Tracking Finances in a digital contactless world?

Postby Urbandreamer » May 29th, 2024, 6:11 am

UncleEbenezer wrote:I was thinking more along the lines of

wget bank-statement | awk '{print $fields-we-want}' | import-into-ms-money. Possibly with something like a grep in there if the data from the bank are not clean CSV.

Could be a daily cron job, and one might expand it to write a daily log.

Sadly my bank security would prevent any automated download, but I do agree with the concept of writing things once.

I did have an awk script to process my coinbase statement, but they changed the layout as soon as I wrote the script. I'd need something a bit more complicated to handle changes in layout.

Ps sorry for dragging the thread off into computer automation territory, but I do think that such things may be of use when repeating the same operations.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » May 29th, 2024, 6:29 am

Urbandreamer wrote:
UncleEbenezer wrote:I was thinking more along the lines of

wget bank-statement | awk '{print $fields-we-want}' | import-into-ms-money. Possibly with something like a grep in there if the data from the bank are not clean CSV.

Could be a daily cron job, and one might expand it to write a daily log.

Sadly my bank security would prevent any automated download,

How would it tell an automated download from a customer with regular habits who likes to keep track daily?

If nothing else, you could hook into the APIs that support Open Banking, even if the customer isn't supposed to have access to any kind of automation.

I did have an awk script to process my coinbase statement, but they changed the layout as soon as I wrote the script. I'd need something a bit more complicated to handle changes in layout.

Indeed, maintainability is an issue when you're scraping data with no official API or stability promise. You can of course mitigate by implementing your own system with a minimal interface to the third-party system, so when something changes it's only a small, well-defined module in your own system that needs updating. On that test, my minimal one-line suggestion is of course less than optimal ;)

Ps sorry for dragging the thread off into computer automation territory, but I do think that such things may be of use when repeating the same operations.

I'd say it's on-topic, since computer automation is surely the best answer to the original question!

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » May 29th, 2024, 7:15 am

UncleEbenezer wrote:How would it tell an automated download from a customer with regular habits who likes to keep track daily?

having a crappy card reader only log in strategy :(

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » May 29th, 2024, 8:28 am

servodude wrote:
UncleEbenezer wrote:How would it tell an automated download from a customer with regular habits who likes to keep track daily?

having a crappy card reader only log in strategy :(

Hence, look up the relevant OpenBanking APIs.

If MS Money doesn't have that capability, I expect there's a third-party plugin (or several) that does.

Return to “Living Below Your Means”