Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to bungeejumper,stockton,Anonymous,bruncher,niord, for Donating to support the site

Trousers pockets too short

Making your money go further
monabri
Lemon Half

Re: Trousers pockets too short

Postby monabri » June 14th, 2024, 9:25 am

I suffer from the reverse problem.....my arms are too short and my pockets too deep!

:lol:

jaizan
Lemon Slice

Postby jaizan » June 14th, 2024, 9:37 am

MrFoolish wrote:I have some casual trousers which I quite like. But annoyingly the front pockets are too short. Why do they do this? My phone could easily fall out.

I thought I was the only one who was annoyed about such matters !

When buying trousers, I always check my wallet & phone would fit in the pockets. I reject anything where these items may stick out. Clothing manufacturers lose a sale, just for a few pence worth of pocket material.

I've encountered the following defects with pockets:

1 Pockets not deep enough
2 Insufficient pockets
3 Fake pockets for styling purposes (this has led to me returning some online purchases)
4 Pockets with a mesh lining that fails after a few months, so is unsuitable for keys (particularly low quality "North Face" products)
5 Zipped pockets where the styling people decide to put the zip on the side of the pocket, not the top. So you have to remember to zip it up.
6 Pockets that are shaped so that your phone slides out if you sit with your knees above your hips, e.g. in a car. This one is an easy sewing mod.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » June 14th, 2024, 10:18 am

Urbandreamer wrote:
Mike4 wrote:
I have several pairs of "cargo" trousers but I draw the line at cargo pants. Especially pants with pockets.

Ah the vagaries of Southern English, Northern English and American English.

Puddings are not always a desert (black pudding, Yorkshire pudding, peas pudding).
Pants can refer to either trousers or underpants.
There is also a F pronounced in lieutenant.

".... in the North West in particular, where 49% of speakers use pants. In the South of England, this figure drops to a strikingly low 3%."
https://www.ourdialects.uk/maps/clothing/
I should possibly stress that the word "use" in this sentence does not mean wear, since we have enough confusion.

Given the thread title refers to "trousers", it seemed natural that your addition of "pants" to the discussion referred to what are often nowadays also called "underpants".

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Postby Urbandreamer » June 14th, 2024, 10:20 am

Mike4 wrote:Given the thread title refers to "trousers", it seemed natural that your addition of "pants" to the discussion referred to what are often nowadays also called "underpants".

And underpants go under your pants don't they?
I'll get my coat.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » June 14th, 2024, 10:22 am

Urbandreamer wrote:
Mike4 wrote:Given the thread title refers to "trousers", it seemed natural that your addition of "pants" to the discussion referred to what are often nowadays also called "underpants".

I'll get my coat.

People wear three layers nowadays, are you saying? Underpants, pants and trousers?!

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » June 14th, 2024, 10:24 am

Urbandreamer wrote:

I'll get my coat.

Not if you are a superhero!

(Get my coat whilst you're there would you?)

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » June 14th, 2024, 10:28 am

I'll get my undercoat.

DeepSporran
Lemon Pip

Postby DeepSporran » June 14th, 2024, 10:45 am

monabri wrote:I suffer from the reverse problem.....my arms are too short and my pockets too deep!

:lol:

Similar problem here ;)

DeepSporran

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » June 14th, 2024, 12:50 pm

jaizan wrote:I've encountered the following defects with pockets:

1 Pockets not deep enough
2 Insufficient pockets
3 Fake pockets for styling purposes (this has led to me returning some online purchases)
4 Pockets with a mesh lining that fails after a few months, so is unsuitable for keys (particularly low quality "North Face" products)
5 Zipped pockets where the styling people decide to put the zip on the side of the pocket, not the top. So you have to remember to zip it up.
6 Pockets that are shaped so that your phone slides out if you sit with your knees above your hips, e.g. in a car. This one is an easy sewing mod.

Indeed, I always check the pockets carefully when I buy trousers or shorts (I don't buy clothes online). I want plenty and practical, but above all I want robust. I've had far too many pockets that develop holes, either in the material or seams. Fortunately the demise of cash helps a lot, as coins were the main culprit in wearing those holes (damn, why is "to wear" overloaded here in the context of wearing down my pockets)?

A couple more issues with larger items like phone or wallet is whether the material is slippery or offers adequate friction to hold things in place. I find that matters more than the depth of a pocket to how well they work for me. Shape and positioning are also issues there.

[edit to add] p.s. Why is this on LBYM rather than Grumps?

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Postby Urbandreamer » June 14th, 2024, 1:01 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:Indeed, I always check the pockets carefully when I buy trousers or shorts (I don't buy clothes online). I want plenty and practical, but above all I want robust. I've had far too many pockets that develop holes, either in the material or seams. Fortunately the demise of cash helps a lot, as coins were the main culprit in wearing those holes (damn, why is "to wear" overloaded here in the context of wearing down my pockets)?

With me it was keys, until I got a purse to contain the keys and credit cards.
I've also found repairing the pockets with old shirts produces something that wears better.

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » June 14th, 2024, 1:34 pm

kempiejon wrote:
Urbandreamer wrote:Ah the vagaries of Southern English, Northern English and American English.

I was talking about muffins just yesterday - what I grew up with as muffins were a small round bready savoury - well not sweet - baked product. Then these little cakes, blueberry or choco-chip iced (frosted) small in individual paper cases were called muffins. So now those original muffins are described as English muffins or breakfast muffins to differentiate. I'm not sure when I had to add the extra word to describe what I thought of as muffins as distinct from what others were now calling muffins.

Muffins are what bacon butties come in. Note that even Down South you can (and should!) buy "Sheldon's Lancashire Oven Bottom Muffins". Then I went to Guildford, where they were bread buns, the Sheffield, where they were Barm Cakes, and they seem to be generally called "Baps" these days. Stop sniggering at the back.
Then there are teacakes, like hot cross buns n that they contain currants, except that a tea cake was a bap in mum's family, but not dad's. And they lived 2 miles apart.

Paul

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » June 14th, 2024, 4:00 pm

DrFfybes wrote:Then there are teacakes, like hot cross buns n that they contain currants, except that a tea cake was a bap in mum's family, but not dad's. And they lived 2 miles apart.

Paul

Not where I grew up (West London then Surrey) they're not!

Yes they certainly look the same (except for the cross) but they don't taste the same. HCBs are spiced, while teacakes are not.

jaizan
Lemon Slice

Postby jaizan » June 14th, 2024, 4:26 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:
jaizan wrote:Why is this on LBYM rather than Grumps?

The lowest cost solution is practical trousers that last and help prevent loss of phones & wallets.

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » June 14th, 2024, 5:36 pm

jaizan wrote:
UncleEbenezer wrote:

The lowest cost solution is practical trousers that last and help prevent loss of phones & wallets.

The lowest cost option [EDIT ; assuming you keep a phone] is a basic non smart phone - fits in the pocket, lasts a week on a charge, and last month Sky were offering a 2 year deal for 150p/month - unlimited calls and texts, 2Gb data ("yes I know you an't use it Sir, but that's what the system is showing"), and that included the handset (which costs about the same as the £36 you'd pay over 2 years).

:)

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » June 14th, 2024, 5:49 pm

DrFfybes wrote:
jaizan wrote:The lowest cost solution is practical trousers that last and help prevent loss of phones & wallets.

The lowest cost option is a basic non smart phone ...

My 3G phone only leaves the house to go in the glove box in case I break down.
The pocket destroyer is/was coins, but they now go in a small leather purse.

V8

Dicky99
Lemon Slice

Postby Dicky99 » June 14th, 2024, 7:43 pm

kempiejon wrote:
Urbandreamer wrote:Ah the vagaries of Southern English, Northern English and American English.

I was talking about muffins just yesterday - what I grew up with as muffins were a small round bready savoury - well not sweet - baked product. Then these little cakes, blueberry or choco-chip iced (frosted) small in individual paper cases were called muffins. So now those original muffins are described as English muffins or breakfast muffins to differentiate. I'm not sure when I had to add the extra word to describe what I thought of as muffins as distinct from what others were now calling muffins.

I thought everyone knew what a breadcake was until I moved south of Yorkshire and discovered that darn sarth its not "bag of chips and a breadcake"

Charlottesquare
Lemon Quarter

Postby Charlottesquare » June 18th, 2024, 3:47 pm

88V8 wrote:
DrFfybes wrote:The lowest cost option is a basic non smart phone ...

My 3G phone only leaves the house to go in the glove box in case I break down.
The pocket destroyer is/was coins, but they now go in a small leather purse.

V8

What are coins?

I have to keep one in car for supermarket trolley at Lidl, other than that, and other half paying window cleaner, we do not use cash any more.

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » June 18th, 2024, 4:12 pm

Charlottesquare wrote:
What are coins?

Angles, M'lud.

jaizan
Lemon Slice

Postby jaizan » June 18th, 2024, 6:21 pm

I find the worst thing for destroying pockets is keys.

And to be fair, on normal trousers or jeans, the even the keys are not a problem.

Where it goes wrong is with walking trousers or shorts that the idiotic manufacturers insist on fitting with mesh pockets. The worst case was some North Face shorts, RRP £60, but purchased for £40 from a reputable outdoor store in London. The pockets developed holes after 3 months of daily use.

So that brand is on my blacklist.

Return to “Living Below Your Means”