Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to smokey01,bungeejumper,stockton,Anonymous,bruncher, for Donating to support the site

First Direct - mini statements by text

Discussing offers, rates and deals on suppliers
Laughton
Lemon Slice

First Direct - mini statements by text

Postby Laughton » June 3rd, 2024, 5:14 pm

Disappointed to receive an email from First Direct today telling me that their mini statement by text service was shortly to end.

I always found the weekly texts a very convenient way to keep track of my current account balance. Now they want me to download their app but , maybe I'm too old but don't feel confident about having my bank on my phone (happy to do it all on my desktop but don't want to go through the waste of time logging on just to check my balance).

I've registered my feelings - anyone also with First Direct who feels the same I urge you to let them know.

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Re: First Direct - mini statements by text

Postby kempiejon » June 3rd, 2024, 5:57 pm

I have FD account. I get text alerts balance below, credits, debits I've just seen the email. I have their app now on an ipad but not on my phone - not that sort of phone. Ipad saves using the little calculator thingy. Apparently apps are more secure than other options but mostly I used the pc
Yes I'll miss the texts and might express my disappointment but they'll no doubt have decided.

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » June 3rd, 2024, 8:54 pm

aye. its yet another step towards "what - you mean you DON'T have a smartphone? Oh. Tough"

GrahamPlatt
Lemon Quarter

Postby GrahamPlatt » June 3rd, 2024, 9:03 pm

Laughton wrote:Disappointed to receive an email from First Direct today telling me that their mini statement by text service was shortly to end.

I always found the weekly texts a very convenient way to keep track of my current account balance. Now they want me to download their app but , maybe I'm too old but don't feel confident about having my bank on my phone (happy to do it all on my desktop but don't want to go through the waste of time logging on just to check my balance).

I've registered my feelings - anyone also with First Direct who feels the same I urge you to let them know.

Good thing too, that they’re stopping this. SMS? Privacy nightmare. If only they’d stop using it as 2FA!

Lanark
Lemon Quarter

Postby Lanark » June 3rd, 2024, 9:08 pm

GrahamPlatt wrote:Good thing too, that they’re stopping this. SMS? Privacy nightmare. If only they’d stop using it as 2FA!

I dont think FD have used SMS for 2FA for some time, they have an app which generates a secure code.

GrahamPlatt
Lemon Quarter

Postby GrahamPlatt » June 4th, 2024, 7:47 am

Lanark wrote:
GrahamPlatt wrote:Good thing too, that they’re stopping this. SMS? Privacy nightmare. If only they’d stop using it as 2FA!

I dont think FD have used SMS for 2FA for some time, they have an app which generates a secure code.

I stand corrected in their case then (not a user, but no excuse). Still, I know of others who still insist on it.

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » June 4th, 2024, 9:52 am

Lanark wrote:

yes.

the app ytou have to login to, select security codes then actively log OUT of to do so!

raybarrow
Lemon Slice

Postby raybarrow » June 5th, 2024, 4:58 pm

Hi,
I find the First Direct app very useful. I agree that accessing the online system using a code generated by the app is a bit of a process but I can't remember last time I used the online system. I do keep MS Money accounts and balancing/checking that with the app is a doddle.

Ray.

Watis
Lemon Quarter

Postby Watis » June 5th, 2024, 5:31 pm

Laughton wrote:Disappointed to receive an email from First Direct today telling me that their mini statement by text service was shortly to end.

I shall miss the texts giving a mini statement and, on occasion, warnings that the balance had dropped below a threshold.

Just this week, the text saved me from going overdrawn!

My mistake entirely, as I had omitted to take into account a recent payment when determining whether I needed to top up the account.

Watis

Return to “Bank Accounts Savings & ISAs”